mtbr member

Just couldn't wait for the Chilcotin.

With the Team Orange being delayed and winter in full swing...... I just couldn't take it. I had to have a bike to ride.
    SAM_0290

SAM_0288

SAM_0289

First ride Saturday. I'll give you all the details and comparisons to the Chili. I think it will be good for all the riding I do including SoMo, Moab, and Vegas. Heck I'm thinking it would even be a good bike for Whistler. Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    What's that white stuff all over the ground??? :-)
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

Knomer
    Looks kinda rigid.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Let us know how your moon ride goes.

mtbr member
    That's moon dust.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    PB said that fat bikes suck.

Perpetual Hack
    Kent

Looking good. I so want to try one of those things - but I dare not as I want to add an Endo and Podium to the stable.
    These are going to have to wait, as I am back in school, so the family income is just at survival level until I'm done end of August. (ASSuming I can find a job in a resonable amount of time...)

So a ride report is due - no?

as for PB - when did they stop sucking? (even though I do read it for news every day - just don't go to the forums - they cause instant IQ reduction...)

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post

as for PB - when did they stop sucking? (even though I do read it for news every day - just don't go to the forums - they cause instant IQ reduction...)
    Oh, you have not read the storytelling news article about how lame fat bikes are, it was on the front pg after all...

Blegh, fat bikes are fun. I'm lusting after a Beargrease personally, but saving for a 650B Endo first.

mtbr member
    Love my Fatback! Fat-biking is fast becoming my fave winter sport!
    With over 23' of snow locally so far regular bikes are pretty much un-rideable. My Knolly just hangs there looking sad...

mtbr member
    Cool Kent. I hope you enjoy it. I was just curious as to how much tires cost for those things, $120-170 range! OUCH! Thats close to the price of auto tires! OnOne is working with Sarto to produce a carbon frame fatty:
    OnOne Fatty Carbon by Sarto Shed Fire : Designing for On-One, Titus and Planet X from Calderdale.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Cool Kent. I hope you enjoy it. I was just curious as to how much tires cost for those things, $120-170 range! OUCH! Thats close to the price of auto tires! OnOne is working with Sarto to produce a carbon frame fatty:
    Lower thread count tires run around $90, the higher thread count ones are up there though. Hopefully with increased demand and production prices will drop...
    What's a regular Schwalbe tire run these days...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Congrats! I was expecting to see pictures of your new raw Chili!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Is this when we start the "When will Knolly make a fat bike?" thread.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    With the Team Orange being delayed and winter in full swing...... I just couldn't take it. I had to have a bike to ride.

SAM_0288

First ride Saturday. I'll give you all the details and comparisons to the Chili. I think it will be good for all the riding I do including SoMo, Moab, and Vegas. Heck I'm thinking it would even be a good bike for Whistler. Stay tuned.
    I can totally picture you riding that on A-line.
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    So a ride report is due - no?

michael
    Yeah I'll report back. This will be my first experence on one (borrowed from a friend for the weekend). My impressions of fatbikes have pretty much been the same as Mitchell Scott's (the author of the Pink Bike story). It was done mostly tongue in cheek but the comments are hysterical. I typically only go to pinkbike to see the videos and check out the buy/sell section but this story caught my eye because of my recent (temporary) acquistion.

Fat bikes always looked to me like they'd be really heavy and really slow and not that much better in the snow than my regular bike.... but everyone keeps telling me I should try one so when my buddy got one recently I figured it was time to see what all the fuss was about.

Two things surprised me right off the bat when I took it for a little spin around the yard: Much lighter than they look, and much easier pedaling than they look. Quite spritely even. Those big tires have surprisingly low rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewQ View Post
    I can totally picture you riding that on A-line.
    I know, right?!? It's not "rigid" like Dusty says..... it's bouncy. At least three inches of squish in those fat tires. That's all I should need if I'm smoooove.

mtbr member
    But the color is all wrong...its not orange or day glow...at least get some white walls.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah I'll report back. This will be my first experence on one (borrowed from a friend for the weekend).
    Cool, should be a fun weekend.

One quick piece of advice; tire pressure is critical on these things. Even a few psi can make a big difference, so make sure to throw a small pump in your pack before you hit the trail. If the ride is too bouncy let some air out, too squirmy and add some air. I usually run about 4-6 psi in snow, a bit more if I'm on a trail where I need to worry about pinch flatting.
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

mtbr member
    The Larry's and Endomorphs have low rolling resistance, but unfortunately lower traction when the trails get more interesting. I run Nates and they are a pretty rumbly ride on harder packed roads and trails, but sure fit the bill when the trails point up or down and the snow is deeper.

mtbr member
    So I got a little spin around some XC ski trails on the fat bike. The weather had warmed up some the last few days so I got out early while things were still frozen.
    The groomed ski trails had set up pretty hard and I'm sure my regular bike would've worked ok on that so maybe not a great test.

I was definitely able to stay up on the crust better though and it seemed to roll faster/better than my regular tires do on similar conditions. It was a little bouncy at first on rough/more broken sections so I let out some pressure (thanks for the tire pressure advice AndrewQ). I think I started around 8-10 lbs and kept letting pressure out until it felt right. I did notice that it seemed to resist direction changes and get hung up in the ski ruts a bit more with the pressure lower but it was smoother.

After awhile I veered off onto a trail that hadn't been groomed in order to access some other trails across the highway and was impressed. It stayed right on top only barely breaking the crust in a few places but not sinking clear in. I think my regular tires might've stayed on top of this fozen crust too..... but I'm not sure.

I only rode for about an hour, but I thought it was fun. Do I get enough winter to justify one? I don't know, but if I had one I'm sure I'd use it a lot this time of year. Noel? Any plans for a Knolly Fatbike?

SAM_0297

SAM_0294

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    yipee!!!

mtbr member
    Hey Marc thanks for the use of the 9zero7. I've ridden it several more times over the past week or two.....and keep meaning to bring it back, but I just can't seem to relinquish it. It's kind of addictive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey Marc thanks for the use of the 9zero7. I've ridden it several more times over the past week or two.....and keep meaning to bring it back, but I just can't seem to relinquish it. It's kind of addictive.
    I'm going to try and get on it this weekend. Wanna ride double??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcdds View Post
    I'm going to try and get on it this weekend. Wanna ride double??
    We're going in to help Sara move this weekend... so ..... as fun as that sounds, I think I'll pass. I'll bring it by tonight. Thanks again for letting me try it.