mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Increasing Warden bar height

I'm a clyde and have an XL Warden. With 2cm of spacers below the stem and 40mm riser bars I've still got too much weight on my arms and no room for additional spacers. I've got a longer stem ordered that should give me an additional 1.5cm of bar height. If I need even more height after the stem, could I go to a 2.5 - 2.8 plus size tire on the front with my pike fork? I do have 30.5 internal width rims. Would larger tires mess up the geometry of the bike? I'm trying to exhaust all options before buying a new fork and cutting the steering tube longer...
    Last edited by ndatube67; 09-13-2016 at 11:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ndatube67 View Post
    I'm a clyde and have an XL Warden. With 2cm of spacers below the stem and 40mm riser bars I've still got too much weight on my arms and no room for additional spacers. I've got a longer stem ordered that should give me an additional 1.5cm of bar height. If I need even more height after the stem, could I go to a 2.8 plus size tire on the front with my pike fork? Would that mess up the geometry of the bike? I'm trying to exhaust all options before buying a new fork and cutting the steering tube longer...
    You could get another 6mm of rise with ENVE DH riser bars. Effective rise is 46mm.

Plus size tire is also a good option. Standard 27.5 Fox 36 fits 2.8 tires with room to spare. Sorry no idea on Pike fittings.

Increasing Warden bar height-001.jpg
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'm a clyde and have an XL Warden. With 2cm of spacers below the stem and 40mm riser bars I've still got too much weight on my arms and no room for additional spacers. I've got a longer stem ordered that should give me an additional 1.5cm of bar height. If I need even more height after the stem, could I go to a 2.5 - 2.8 plus size tire on the front with my pike fork? I do have 30.5 internal width rims. Would larger tires mess up the geometry of the bike? I'm trying to exhaust all options before buying a new fork and cutting the steering tube longer...
    If you have too much weight on your arms (can't stay in your ideal neutral position) you may want a shorter stem rather than a longer one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by djjohnr View Post
    If you have too much weight on your arms (can't stay in your ideal neutral position) you may want a shorter stem rather than a longer one.
    I do not believe that will be the case here. The 80mm/6 degree rise stem I have ordered should allow me to perfectly match the reach and bar height that my other bike has that is very comfortable for me. The 46mm rise Enve bars would certainly be another good option for me to consider before buying a new fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    @bubba13 - What size tire are you running on the back with the 2.8 up front?

mtbr member
    @bubba13 - What size tire are you running on the back with the 2.8 up front?
    Currently running a Rekon 2.8 3c Exo up front with an Ardent 2.4 on back. This has been a stellar summer tire combo for me. Fast rolling with very predictable front end grip on hard and loose over hard conditions. When the moisture returns the 2.5 DHF's will be going back on both ends.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had the same issue as I'm 6'5" and while this may sound ridiculous, I have a bad neck so I need the be as upright as possible. I run 35mm of spacers under my stem (the max allowable for a Pike I believe). My stem is a Thomson 70mm w/ 10 degree rise. And I run the Enve high rise bars too. My Chilcotin is set up pretty much the same way too.

Kinda funny, I haven't been able to ride for while and just built up another bike, so I've been off the Warden for a long while now and I pulled it out the other day and rode it around the block and was surprised by how low the bars still feel compared to the new bike I built.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    An 80mm/6 degree rise stem solved my issues. I was running a 50mm/6 degree stem before. With this change, I was able to get an additional 1.5cm of bar height. Steering does not feel quite as crisp as before but not bad at all. Front wheel is now way more planted on climbs so that was a nice side bene. Definitely having way more fun with this bike now.