Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I wonder if Noel is working on a 29er to compete with the Following and Ripley LS.

I'm super intrigued by this new long front/short rear/low/slack trail 29er category that the Following, Canfield Riot, and now the Ripley LS (and to a lesser extent the Process 111 and Pivot 429Trail) are occupying. I think Noel has said in the past that he has no intention of building a 29er..... but it's gotta be hard to ignore the buzz around this genre.

Any thoughts? I know my Interbike/Outerbike dance card will be filled with 29ers this year.
    Last edited by KRob; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    A knolly 29er would be one of my first picks. I loved my chili until I rode a 29er for the first time. I went from a fully built, avy-ed chili to a $700 used giant trance 29er, for wheelsize alone.

Personally, I hope what is taking so long to get the endorphins out for release is the making of a new 29er.

Braaap
    Sign me up! I've really been enjoying my Banshee Phantom. I'll admit that I was previously a wagon wheel hater.

Climbing with 29" wheels and Knolly's 4x4 suspension would be unstoppable.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

Bnerd
    I would LOVE it if Knolly made an aggressive 29er!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I thought 27.5 killed both the 26 and the 29 wheel sizes. Just like video killed the radio star...

Yebo Numzaan
    Add the Trek Remedy 29'er to that list. I recently rode with a local rider on the Shore...and was blown away by how smooth and fast he was on his Remedy. Also hucked some pretty big drops. He was complaining a bit about flexy wheels and tight corners and things...but I was breathing too heavily and shaking my arms loose to tell him to stfu.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Yes PLEASE! My Warden needs a proper stablemate. I have looked hard at all of the bikes mentioned above. If I had to choose right now it would be the Canfield Riot due to it's geometry and aluminium frame. My main reservation is there could be more overlap between the Riot and Warden than I would like.

Here in Oregon we have a good mix of terrain throughout the state. About half of our trails are moderate and beg for a fast short travel bike that can hold good momentum. I am sure the new Endorphin would be great on these trails, but I want that extra momentum that a 27.5 just can't match. It would be nice to have clearances for 2.4 29 and 27.5+ option built into the frame.

There is so much I like about the Warden, it is hard not to imagine it's DNA infused into a short travel 29er. If there is no way this is going to materialize, please let us know.
    Last edited by bubba13; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:08 PM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Add the Trek Remedy 29'er to that list. I recently rode with a local rider on the Shore...and was blown away by how smooth and fast he was on his Remedy. Also hucked some pretty big drops. He was complaining a bit about flexy wheels and tight corners and things...but I was breathing too heavily and shaking my arms loose to tell him to stfu.
    Yes! It's a little longer travel/AM (like the Riot) but I rode the Remedy 29 at the Sedona MTB Festival and was really impressed. Climbed very well. Tires stayed glued to the ground (even on small jumps... didn't feel real "poppy"). Plush. Didn't feel awkward or 29ery in corners and absolutely steamrolled the chunk.

Banshee Prime is another one.... although it did feel a little long and more awkward in tight spaces, it had most all the same qualities of some of the other new school 29ers.

Impressive bike. The Boost 148 and Re' Activ shock seem to be the real deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Yes PLEASE! My Warden needs a proper stablemate. I have looked hard at all of the bikes mentioned above. If I had to choose right now it would be the Canfield Riot due to it's geometry and aluminium frame. My main reservation is there could be more overlap between the Riot and Warden than I would like.

Here in Oregon we have a good mix of terrain throughout the state. About half of our trails are moderate and beg for a fast short travel bike that can hold good momentum. I am sure the new Endorphin would be great on these trails, but I want that extra momentum that a 27.5 just can't match. It would be nice to have clearances for 2.4 29 and 27.5+ option built into the frame.

There is so much I like about the Warden, it is hard not to imagine it's DNA infused into a short travel 29er. If there is no way this is going to materialize, please let us know.
    I think the Riot (much like the Remedy 29) will occupy the same space as the Warden for the most part. To complement the Warden I would go with the Mach 429 Trail or Ripley LS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I think the Riot (much like the Remedy 29) will occupy the same space as the Warden for the most part. To complement the Warden I would go with the Mach 429 Trail or Ripley LS.
    Thats the way I will be going.
    Also I will test Process 111
    And wait for other 2016 models to come(Knolly?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    I thought 27.5 killed both the 26 and the 29 wheel sizes. Just like video killed the radio star...
    Ok, I know this was said in jest (in part), but for a minute or 2 I want to poll this thread's readers. Is the 429Trail, Evil Following, Riot, and new RipleyLS, all pointing to a loud message that 27.5" isn't pushing 29ers out of the picture any time soon?

I mean, these companies, like Knolly, don't have gobs of $ to waist on designs for dead-end platforms. Last year, there was much hand-ringing on the future or 29. Can we put this uncertainty to rest? I read KRob getting pumped about outerbike's 29er offering, and see it as yet another signal that 29er are still generating buzz and consumer spending.

This is a good thing IMO, despite more sku's for the lbs to stock. With lesser fickleness, a guy like Noel could build a 29er w/o fear of havin the next Betamax...
    NSMBA Member

mtbr member
    I'm replying to this thread with the fear that my reply will kill the thread as it seems to often do (i.e. the "santa thread" from a few weeks past). I'm just one guy, so debate away regardless if I reply or not - ha!

Re: 29er: I think this would make a ton of sense for Knolly and we can absolutely do it "the Knolly way", no doubt about it. Obviously, it would fit in as a lighter duty bike below the upcoming Endorphin in travel / application. Timeline would be a while because - as I mentioned a week or so ago - while we've been very quiet lately, we're actually smoking busy with new products right now. There is a lot going on, but again, first things first, and that's getting Endorphins into the market...

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    I'm replying to this thread with the fear that my reply will kill the thread as it seems to often do (i.e. the "santa thread" from a few weeks past). I'm just one guy, so debate away regardless if I reply or not - ha!

Re: 29er: I think this would make a ton of sense for Knolly and we can absolutely do it "the Knolly way", no doubt about it. Obviously, it would fit in as a lighter duty bike below the upcoming Endorphin in travel / application. Timeline would be a while because - as I mentioned a week or so ago - while we've been very quiet lately, we're actually smoking busy with new products right now. There is a lot going on, but again, first things first, and that's getting Endorphins into the market...

Cheers,
    Thanks for responding Noel! And thanks for opening the door a crack. Now that we know it's a possibility, we can continue to debate what form it should take. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts. ("Just one guy".... ha, ha. That's funny)

I believe it should be 115-125mm travel designed around a 120-130mm fork, but approved for 140mm fork. It should be reasonably slack but not crazy. Say 67-68 degrees with long reach and short chainstays (Is 17.0" doable with the Fourx4 linkage?). It should have ample tire clearance for 3.0-3.5" 27+ tires. Frame weight should be around 6lbs in alloy and 5.5 lbs in carbon.

In the mean time, yes, keep that Endorphin coming. Can't wait!
    Last edited by KRob; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Ha ha - frame design by consensus!
    The reality is that we're very much aware of this emerging trend for fun xc / trail 29ers and this would fit nicely into the Knolly linage: frames like this are perfect for BC Bike race and similar events, while still being usable for a wide variety of trails.

Re: chainstay length: because Knolly frame designs don't have "mini links" between the rear swingarm and the front triangle, we can achieve among the shortest chainstay lengths possible as there is very little interfering with the tire and chainstay pivot. At a certain point, chainstays can be "too short" especially for bikes that do need to have very good climbing characteristics, so there is a balance to be struck for sure; but it's all possible.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Exciting stuff! I've recently built up an Evil Following and I haven't had a chance to give it a proper shake down but from the trails I've ridden I'm in love. I've got a 26" endorphin here at home which is the wife's bike so it's a bit small for me, but I have ridden it and there is a pretty big difference in feel for Knolly to justify putting a slack short travel 29er under the Endorphin.

I'd certainly be interested, especially if you can avoid the issues with the STA that Evil and Canfield have to contend with to keep the chain stays short.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    27.5 able to accept 3" tires, mid travel would be better

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Personally, I've been waiting to see if knolly brings out a 29er, I've been drooling over the Lenz Lunchbox and the Specialized enduro. I'd really like to see/buy something in the 140-150 range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndude23 View Post
    Personally, I've been waiting to see if knolly brings out a 29er, I've been drooling over the Lenz Lunchbox and the Specialized enduro. I'd really like to see/buy something in the 140-150 range.
    Hmm. Maybe you're right. A 29er Chilcotin replacement more in line with the Riot might be awesome. 140-150mm travel; 67.5- 66.5 degree adjustable HA; 13.3" BB height; 16.9"-17.3" adjustable CS length; 74.5 degree effective STA. Clearance for 29+ tires; 160 fork. Boo Yah!

What do others think?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    Exciting stuff! I've recently built up an Evil Following and I haven't had a chance to give it a proper shake down but from the trails I've ridden I'm in love. I've got a 26" endorphin here at home which is the wife's bike so it's a bit small for me, but I have ridden it and there is a pretty big difference in feel for Knolly to justify putting a slack short travel 29er under the Endorphin.

I'd certainly be interested, especially if you can avoid the issues with the STA that Evil and Canfield have to contend with to keep the chain stays short.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
    The Riot is similar in seat angle compared to the Warden. The Following is much slacker at 72.7 degrees. Not really an apples to apples comparison.

The Riot I think has the best 29er geometry on paper regardless of frame material. I personally prefer a steeper seat angle to help keep the front wheel planted on a slacker head angled bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndude23 View Post
    You need a Canfield Riot...that is until Knolly rolls one out

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I've considered it, but to be honest. I've never felt like the mini link bikes have the all around plushness that I get when riding a good single pivot or horst link setup. It's all personal preference, and if I get a chance to try a riot out, I'd still love to give it a go.

mtbr member
    Indeed. That looks like it's going to be a killer bike..... and if I were as big a bike whore as you and Blatant I'd already have one on order in addition to the 27.5 Endorphin I already have on order.

mtbr member
    Haha. No shame my whore-ness

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The Riot is similar in seat angle compared to the Warden. The Following is much slacker at 72.7 degrees. Not really an apples to apples comparison.

The Riot I think has the best 29er geometry on paper regardless of frame material. I personally prefer a steeper seat angle to help keep the front wheel planted on a slacker head angled bike.
    I've got a trip planned for this weekend that's going to involve a heap of climbing and I've had knee issues before so it'll soon tell me if the slack STA on the bike will haunt me. If so, the Canfield's on the list as well as a number of other exciting bikes that looks like being announced soon!

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Hmm. Maybe you're right. A 29er Chilcotin replacement more in line with the Riot might be awesome. 140-150mm travel; 67.5- 66.5 degree adjustable HA; 13.3" BB height; 16.9"-17.3" adjustable CS length; 74.5 degree effective STA. Clearance for 29+ tires; 160 fork. Boo Yah!

What do others think?
    I think that's too much travel--I think 120mm is a better suit for 29ers. I'm riding a 120mm Shinobi with a 150mm Pike on it and it's hard to imagine needing more travel than that for aggressive trail riding. Anything that requires more travel than that to ride would probably be better ridden on smaller wheels IMO and there are already lots of good choices in the Knolly line up to fill those niches.

Having the adjustable CS length would be really cool for running 27.5+ wheels and it would give you an option to run a front derailleur on a 29 without tire rub, OR have a short chainstay and run a 1x setup. I was a big fan of the adjustable CS on my old DT. That being said, I think I was one of the only people who regularly adjusted mine so for most people that wouldn't be worth the additional weight.

I'm not sure about the 29er+ either. I think you'll see a lot of aggressive 27.5+ tires, but the 29er+ will remain more on the Knard side of the equation of traction. A 29+ tire that is built for truly aggressive riding would be a real boat anchor (as if burly 27.5+ tires aren't heavy enough!).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast