mtbr member
    Mar 2012

How much crunch....

is too much in the rear bearings?

Picked up some RWC bearings. While installing them noticed the rear triangle on my 09 Endorphin was supporting itself upright even without the shock installed. Under further investigation the rear would move through about 1/3 of its range of motion, bind up of quite bad for 1/3, then move freely~ish again. I loosened off all the fasteners and then torqued everything back down to the proper specs. No change. Disassembled the rear end to wipe clean out the bushings/bearings and noticed pretty much every bearing exhibits a certain amount of crunch/dry grind/resistance with the main pivot by the BB being the worst culprit(s) . This doesn't seem correct but this isn't my area of expertise. So is a new bearing kit in order or can the bearings be serviced? If a new kit is required how do I go about getting them installed?

Thanks

mtbr member
    At a minimum carefully remove the dust seals, clean all the grit/grime out, inspect real close to confirm if the bearing is looking intact then re-pack with grease and re-install the dust seal. With a little luck you may get them working satisfactory again. I normally repack my bearings twice a year just for the sake of it.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    At a minimum carefully remove the dust seals, clean all the grit/grime out, inspect real close to confirm if the bearing is looking intact then re-pack with grease and re-install the dust seal. With a little luck you may get them working satisfactory again. I normally repack my bearings twice a year just for the sake of it.
    I've had good luck with this method as well. When they're really bad, I just put in new bearings though.

On my dh bike, I do a full teardown / swap out every season. On my trail bikes, it's usually clean and regrease for most pivots, but the main pivot (by the BB) usually needs to be replaced annually as well. I live in the PNW and our bikes take a beating with the rain and mud.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    What kind of grease is recommended?

mtbr member
    for repacking bearings I just use phil wood grease, but have used manitou prep-m in a pinch. What you want a medium consistency grease for is to act as a seal/keep water out of the bearings. It is so important to clean everything out before the new grease goes in or else you are just trapping the contaminants in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just a dry rag or you guys have any tips you can share for getting out the crud. There was more dirt than grease in most of the bearings. Without taking the balls out I can't see a way to get them very clean.

Thanks fro the help

mtbr member
    I like to use brake clean to blast everything out as it dries without any residue. Some people may use WD 40 but make sure you blow it out with air to dry out the WD40 after.

mtbr member
    Good info from 006_007 here. There is nothing wrong with repacking bearings. Any crunch is too much. If you can feel binding with the swing arm installed you have way to much. You should replace them if they aren't smooth after the repack.

I too like Phil grease. Brake clean works awesome but that stuff is nasty. Keep it off the paint.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

sapienti sat est
    I did full bearings overhaul last year in my 08 Endo.I simply removed the dust seals, used the brake cleaner to blast everything out, then repacked with Rock 'n Roll Super Web grease.

I made a simple tool out of syringe, plastic hose and Avid barb insert to apply the grease deep into double row bearings.

Fun fact: I discovered that one bearing is a F_A_G, I mean gay

mtbr member
    Nice job Bike Bert!!! That's motivating!

mtbr member
    I did the same thing this summer. Though I pushed out all the bearings and soaked them in paint thinner. I might have to try the brake cleaner method. Those INA ones are quite nice looking.

I also noticed a bit of crunch on those rear triangle bearings but after a quick blast with the air compressor they seemed to stop.