mtbr member

which helmet mounted lights are knolly folks using?

the sun is going down pretty early here, summer is curtains, needin a new uber light, something to put on the lid that will light up our spooky woods like something out of close encounters of the third kind. got a bikeray iv on the bars (4hrs+ on max, 1500 lumens, great throw and wide halo, great light!), but needing quite powerful lid mounted lumination (without costing the same as a new pair of wheels!) to help deal with fast techy stuff. which lights do you use / recommend?
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    I think you need to first decide which type of helmet light you want. Do you want a self contained unit, or put less weight on your head and run an external battery pack. There are benefits to both. Personally, I like my lights to double as flashlights, so they are all self-contained. I am using the Niterider Lumia 650. (Actually, I use that on the bars, and a Fenix flashlight on my helmet...flashlights typically have better throw, and are more of a spot than a flood, which I think is better in a helmet light. The Lumia comes with a helmet mount of course. Since you seem to want to turn night into day, look for a 500+ lumens on your helmet. For me, I like the mystery of night riding and typically run in the 200 lumen range for fun!)
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Good question!!! We were discussing this on today's ride.

I have a older Giro that I use for night riding as it as the most vents and the vent spacing works best for headlight mount.

Last year, I forgot that I got a new POC helmet. I busy the first night ride so my buddy borrowed my lights. The next night when I went to mount them, I couldn't get the straps to work. I thought my buddy did something or lost something. I bought a new strap kit and the next night ride I still couldn't get it to work. I was baffled. Then Dominator said hey you got a new helmet - oh yeah! Luckily I still have the older one and I use it for night rides. I found the POC didn't work as well with their vents. I am looking at the new TLD half lid and that might work, but I am waiting for the black version of it!

I am also running the Lupine Piko - which is great - super light and bright with great charge time. I don't know that it is on my head. One of my dislikes of night riding before this light, was cinching my helmet tightly on my head to support the heavier light of older systems. I don't have to do it as tight with the Piko - highly recommended.

Yebo Numzaan
    Bought an early version LED Lupine (Betty?) back in 2007. It was ridiculously expensive at the time (for LED) - but my neighbor was a gear whore and talked me into it. 7 winters later and that light has NEVER run out of battery or failed for any other reason. I manage my battery quite religiously (low beam on climbs etc..)..but it has paid for itself over the last 7 yrs. So awesome to have a reliable light. There are lots of cheaper / good quality LED headlamps now - but i have to give a shout out to Lupine.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I use a fenix torch on my lid a cree led one, aint to expensive and give a decent amount and spread of light,.
    Just google fenix torches i got mine for around 50 quid,,

I use a hope vision 4 on the bars and a fenix tk11 on the lid,,

rod skinner
    Oct 2005
    I ride deep in redwood country on the north coast and I use a Dinotte 400L helmet light. Our trails will disappear after the first windstorm and the 400L gives me plenty of light and it lasts for hours on high.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I'm a big fan of the Amoebas! They are made by Scar on MTBR in his basement and they are sweet! They are a lot higher quality than you would expect from a homegrown product and his customer service has been exemplary over the four years I have been using them. He has upgraded the LEDs on both my head and par mounts during that time--how many other light companies will do that for you?

I'm running the double XM-L with a bflex driver on my bars which puts out 1,600 lumen on paper (less in the real world likely), and 2 regular driven XM-Ls on my helmet for somewhere around 800 lumen. That setup is brighter than my original Amoeba setup that I used on the Angelfire Final Decent where I did three laps down their World Cup DH run in the dark. My helmet light weighs next to nothing and the 2,600 MHa battery velcros right to my helmet (good for those multiple beer rides when I used to forget I had a battery connection between the helmet and the Camelbak).

Best of all, he can build you exactly what you want and his batteries are non-proprietary so you could buy them off batteryspace.com (if he didn't already sell them cheaply which he does). Check them out:

Amoeba - The simplest "light" form

mtbr member
    Lots of information here: 2013 Bike Lights Shootout ? 50 LED Lights Measured | Mountain Bike Review

Warranty and Quality of construction are important as well, although less so now than a few years ago...quality overall has gone up. Another thing to consider are real specs (like lumens measured above). Waterproofness is important. IPx8 (like the Fenix flashlights) or IP68 (lupine) are tested 1m underwater for over 30 minutes. IPx6 on the other hand is tested by essential spraying a hose (100l/min) for 3 minutes. Either one should be fine, but its nice to know if you end up crossing a river, and are swept away to your untimely demise, your light will signal your final resting place.

Oh, another thing you might consider. One reason I went with a flashlight, is that they have a 'lamp mode' which is like 7 lumen or something. So its nice for camping, reading in a tent, etc. Also my Fenix not only has strobe, but SOS mode, so it will signal SOS for like 30 hours (3 nights). This may only be helpful if you are into adventure biking, hiking, or bikepacking though.

Found some photos in that article, it is a good read. The first is the Fenix BT20, second is the Lupine Pika 3 (they had a Pika 4 at interbike Lupine Lighting Interbike 2013 | Mountain Bike Review). Lupine is great quality, but you pay more than double vs the Fenix (and get less--see beam pattern), also look at how warm the objects in the back yard are with the Fenix, you can actually see color, whereas the Lupine washes everything out with its bright white 'cool' tones. A blinding bright white light is very impressive, but revealing depth and color is better imo.

Pic 1: Fenix
    Pic 2: lupine
    Pic 3: Fenix
    Pic 4: lupine

When all is said and done my top lights would be: Lupine, Fenix, Light and Motion, Niterider, (maybe Dinotte and others, but have little knowledge of them)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails which helmet mounted lights are knolly folks using?-fenix-bt201.jpg  

which helmet mounted lights are knolly folks using?-lupine-piko-33.jpg  

which helmet mounted lights are knolly folks using?-fenix-bt202.jpg  

which helmet mounted lights are knolly folks using?-lupine-piko-34.jpg  

Last edited by rdhfreethought; 09-30-2013 at 01:50 AM. Reason: added photos, typos

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have recently been looking into getting a light. I have been looking for a powerful, helmet mounted light...don't have the scratch right now for both a handlebar and helmet light.

So far I have been leaning towards the Gloworm X2...anyone have experience with this set up?

mtbr member
    +1 on the Piko.

It doesn't get lighter or smaller than this light. You don't even notice it's on your head. It's not the cheapest helmet light, but the engineering and craftsmanship is Knollyesque.
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a gemini duo. Not a bad light but I would look elsewhere. The spill is pretty good, the throw is not as good as I expected. Apparently the intensity is several hundred lumens lower than advertised (read that somewhere on MTBR). I have had a problem with it cutting out on rides lately where it will drop down to its lowest intensity setting. Really annoying when it happens to you on the DH.

Dealing with there customer service was slightly annoying. I got the wrong package, I had to ship it to the person it was supposed to go to, then I got mine.

MC MasterShake
    I've been running the Exposure Diablo for the past 3 seasons and can't say enough good things about this light. 124grams 1100 lumens - 1 hour w/o pack, 3 hours w/helmet mounted pack. I also use it as a flashlight all the time.

EXPOSURELIGHTSUSA.COM
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    Exposure lights are definitely the top of it... i've got both Diablos and Joysticks and if you piggyback on the White Eye...

Exposure WhiteEye Front Light 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Exposure Joystick Front Light Mk6 - Helmet Mount | Chain Reaction Cycles

it's a lotta light light. (i've seen them on sale here and there but doesn't seem to be the season for a discount).

speaking of which i have 2x brand new 2012 Maxx-D Mk.4's for sale. the ultimate handle bar torch.
    *** Exposure Lights ***

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by biobike View Post
    Exposure lights are definitely the top of it... i've got both Diablos and Joysticks and if you piggyback on the White Eye...

Exposure WhiteEye Front Light 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    Exposure Joystick Front Light Mk6 - Helmet Mount | Chain Reaction Cycles

it's a lotta light light. (i've seen them on sale here and there but doesn't seem to be the season for a discount).

speaking of which i have 2x brand new 2012 Maxx-D Mk.4's for sale. the ultimate handle bar torch.
    *** Exposure Lights ***
    Yeah, once I got mine all my buds jumped on the bandwagon and picked them up. Sure there are lights out there that have more lumens and give you stronger light but you can't beat the convenience of not having to deal with that pack. On full night rides I do end up using the tampon battery but I mount that to my helmet so I still don't have wires hanging everywhere.

There new one looks even more interesting. 2014 Exposure Lights Equinox | New for 2014! - Ibex Sports - 1200 Lumens that can blast to 2000 w/a pack battery.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    Exposure lights...
    couple of deals here
    Search Exposure Lights Bikes Bike Parts and Bike Gear for: qs_lightSystems Page:1

amendment: deal just got pretty good - 2day additional 20% off use code "48hours"

mtbr member
    As you're in uk I assume exposure are well priced ? I'm a big fan of dinotte stuff. If any of you are roadies their rear lights are phenomenal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Another very happy Diablo user here. From road to trail it's awesome. Even makes a great flashlight as pointed out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I just ordered a couple of Gloworm X2's. Reasonably priced for 1200 lumens, 4 cell battery gives 2.5hr run-time at max. Waterproof and light. Has a remote switch for light operation. All reviews I have read are positive.

These are my first serious lights so I don't have anything to compare them to but will report back with my impressions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    flashlights typically have better throw, and are more of a spot than a flood, which I think is better in a helmet light.
    Since I posted i bought one of these for 40 bucks, and I have to say I’m very impressed given what I paid… 6000LM CREE XML T6 5LED Bicycle Bike Headlamp Headlight Torch Light | eBay
    But I agree, after giving it its maiden run tonight, these types of lights are better as general floodlights. So still after a lidlamp...

For me, I like the mystery of night riding and typically run in the 200 lumen range for fun!)
    for sure it’s definitely more fun with them dimmed down on trails you know already, but not on new trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    One of my dislikes of night riding before this light, was cinching my helmet tightly on my head to support the heavier light of older systems.
    Exactly the problem with the 40 buck light I linked above. The straps went through the top vents of my Specialized S3, round my head and round my chin, but were half choking me

Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    As you're in uk I assume exposure are well priced
    Im not sure about a good price, made in the UK more often than not means good quality but when I had a scavenge around for ‘a price’ couldn’t find much of a discount from RRP, and RRP wasn't cheap at all.

they had a Pika 4 at interbike Lupine Lighting Interbike 2013 | Mountain Bike Review). Lupine is great quality, but you pay more than double vs the Fenix (and get less--see beam pattern), also look at how warm the objects in the back yard are with the Fenix, you can actually see color, whereas the Lupine washes everything out with its bright white 'cool' tones. A blinding bright white light is very impressive, but revealing depth and color is better imo.
    Cheers for that. I like the focus of the pika but definitely the Fenix looks more natural …which Im sure would result in less eye strain
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delcol View Post
    I use a fenix torch on my lid a cree led one, aint to expensive and give a decent amount and spread of light,.
    Just google fenix torches i got mine for around 50 quid,,

I use a hope vision 4 on the bars and a fenix tk11 on the lid,,
    cheers mate. whats the best way to fix the fenix to your lid? do you know if you can attach them to a full face that doesn't have vents in the top?
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Are all of the lights you guys have mentioned above waterproof? im guessing they are but just realising I never thought about this before until I googled LexCarps glowworm x2 where I found a review with a vid of the gloworms in a bucket of water
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    Are all of the lights you guys have mentioned above waterproof? im guessing they are but just realising I never thought about this before until I googled LexCarps glowworm x2 where I found a review with a vid of the gloworms in a bucket of water
    Piko is water proof....I think all of the Lupine line is!?
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I have been using a Jet Lites LED light for the past few years without any problem at all. Initially I was running with one light mounted on the helmet (Fox Flux) and that was great but since I do a fair bit of solo mission night rides I thought I would get a bar mount light this spring as a compliment. Excellent construction, water resistant connections, I now have both the X-51 which throws more of a spot beam which compliments the A-51 which is more flood like. Either way, they have been flawless and have weathered some solid knocks from low hanging tree limbs etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    like col i use a fenix torch and also a wolfeye one. both cost arround 50 quid each, they are pretty powerful with good burn time. and good spread. also got a few spare battaries to.
    we use mounts to mount them,
    Fenix Flashlight, Fenix torches Easy Fit Shock Absorbing Flashlight Gun Mount | MyFenix
    Fenix Flashlight, Fenix torches Twofish Cycleblock Flashlight Bike Mount | MyFenix

not sure on this one as ive never used it i just seen it now when i was looking, but it looks like it may work on a full facer.
    Fenix Flashlight, Fenix torches Hard Hat Bike Helmet Disc Mount Ortec Accessory for Fenix Flashlights | MyFenix

mtbr member
    I am thinking about getting this one for my helmet: Fenix UC40 USB Rechargeable Flashlight - 420 Lumens - Fenix-Store

I like the lightest weight on my helmet, and as mentioned before a Spot beam pattern makes more sense to me. Even the lightest Lupine is 265g (including battery)

This one is just 140g, including rechargable battery. You can drop in either 2x lithium CR123A, or an 18650 battery, if you will be going too long (24 hr races). Typically, I ride up hill on the middle setting (160 lumen for this light - 7 hrs burn time) and downhill on "turbo" 420 Lumens

Regarding JETLITES, they are good flashlights, but only a few settings FU-2: F-LITE Series | JET Lites only has 3 settings and no strobe, at 825 claimed lumens. I find I use the strobe A LOT whenever I am on the street. It really helps drivers notice you on your bike. The Fenix I listed has 4 intensity levels, a strobe, and longer burn time, at 1/3 the price...but about half the CLAIMED lumens. In the real world, I don't think there is much difference in brightness.