mtbr member

Headset questions for Chilcotin

I need to decide on a new headset for my forthcoming Large Team Orange Chili.

I'm interested in a 170mm fork, but they come in both straight 1 1/8 and taper.

I'd like a headset that switches between 1.5 and 1 1/8 on the bottom via different crown races, so I can go with either a taper or 1 1/8 fork. I know RWC makes a set, but only for 44mm head tubes (Chili is 49mm). Does anyone know of another manufacturer that has interchangeable crown races to allow 1.5 or 1 1/8 steer tubes?

mtbr member
    Cane Creek 40 and 110 will do that.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Kings will do that as well. You just need to make sure you get an external lower cup. That's the only way you can run a tapered fork.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    So if I went with Cane, I'd run a 40.ZS49 on the top, which is 1 1/8", and 40.EC49 or 40.EC49 Conversion on the bottom (1.5 and 1 1/8 respectively).

What I don't get, is it seems like I would need to buy a new lower headset, in order to get a different crown race for swapping. I'm wondering if they sell the crown race separately?

mtbr member
    Yes, they should sell the races separately. I know King does for sure, I just bought one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Yes, they should sell the races separately. I know King does for sure, I just bought one.
    They do sell the crown race separately but I think you have to search for them in the store to find them. They call it a 52/30
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Check universalcycles.com. They sell TONS of small parts places like Jenson and Pricepoint don't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    chris king devolution.... had one on my dt for 4 years. awesome piece of kit.
    we running hope pick n mix on the new knollies now. they come in all sizes. and the crown race are split so mega easy to put on and remove.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I can switch between 1.125 and 1.5 on my FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro by just getting a new crown race. If I was to put a new headset in I'd get a Cane Creek 40 because you can do the same and parts are easier to find.

delirian, I was wondering about those split crown races. Does it creak or anything ? I hate creaking parts like hell. Mine might be a split crown race too (LBS wasn't sure) so I'll look online first.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you go with the CC40, remove the blue spacer on top. Caused a lot of creaking and sloppiness on mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by guim View Post
    I can switch between 1.125 and 1.5 on my FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro by just getting a new crown race. If I was to put a new headset in I'd get a Cane Creek 40 because you can do the same and parts are easier to find.

delirian, I was wondering about those split crown races. Does it creak or anything ? I hate creaking parts like hell. Mine might be a split crown race too (LBS wasn't sure) so I'll look online first.

Thanks!
    cant comment on the headset split crown yet bud, as the bikes have only just been built, not yet ridden, they will get a bloody good beasting in whistler soon though. i will give feedback then mate.
    my brother had one a while back on his old pace as far as i can remember it didnt creak, they nip up and seal pretty well.
    but as i said i will give feedback when ive done a few good rides on them.