Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Headset questions for Chilcotin

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  delirian 
#1 ·
I need to decide on a new headset for my forthcoming Large Team Orange Chili.

I'm interested in a 170mm fork, but they come in both straight 1 1/8 and taper.

I'd like a headset that switches between 1.5 and 1 1/8 on the bottom via different crown races, so I can go with either a taper or 1 1/8 fork. I know RWC makes a set, but only for 44mm head tubes (Chili is 49mm). Does anyone know of another manufacturer that has interchangeable crown races to allow 1.5 or 1 1/8 steer tubes?

#4 ·
So if I went with Cane, I'd run a 40.ZS49 on the top, which is 1 1/8", and 40.EC49 or 40.EC49 Conversion on the bottom (1.5 and 1 1/8 respectively).

What I don't get, is it seems like I would need to buy a new lower headset, in order to get a different crown race for swapping. I'm wondering if they sell the crown race separately?

#9 ·
I can switch between 1.125 and 1.5 on my FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro by just getting a new crown race. If I was to put a new headset in I'd get a Cane Creek 40 because you can do the same and parts are easier to find.

delirian, I was wondering about those split crown races. Does it creak or anything ? I hate creaking parts like hell. Mine might be a split crown race too (LBS wasn't sure) so I'll look online first.

Thanks!

#11 ·
cant comment on the headset split crown yet bud, as the bikes have only just been built, not yet ridden, they will get a bloody good beasting in whistler soon though. i will give feedback then mate.
my brother had one a while back on his old pace as far as i can remember it didnt creak, they nip up and seal pretty well.
but as i said i will give feedback when ive done a few good rides on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.