Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Viva la Vida!

Hans Dampf or Trail King?

That's what I use HD 2.35 in the front and Smorgasboard's in the rear.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member

Big Betty is a GREAT tyre!

Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    Here's a quick update on the Big Betty. Love it! This tire rails so good. It doesn't break in corners, just hangs on and grabs with no noticeable dead spot. The rolling is great and it feels fast, the braking is spot on and predictable and it dampens chatter great. It ate up the slickrock and rocky trails in Sedona last weekend. The tire has been perfect setup tubeless on my Flows.
    Ive just bought the folding 2.4 Big Betty Trailstar 3C with sidewall reinforcement. I can confirm the same performance results but on more mixed conditions. The Big Betty is a brilliant tyre, but the rubber is soft and tacky so 'brittle and sharp' hot desert rocks/slates is obviously going to eat it alive. Its a German tyre and there's no deserts in Europe...

I met someone this morning who had been running this tyre all winter and for the last 6 weeks of spring, and he had about 85% of the tread left. His words were 'it works on everything'. I believe him, since the trail i tested on this morning is a nightmare and it coped with it MAGNIFICENTLY.
    Last edited by cfrench; 05-04-2013 at 07:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    hey guys!!!

i am about to buy a big betty 2.4 for the rear.

till now i run a 2.35 hans dampf pacestar, but it wore out fast and it wasn't very pliable.

questions:

1. is the 2.4 bb wider than the 2.35 hans dampf? i am quite close with the hd in the rear triangle.

2. is the big betty (folding , not tubeless edition) tubeless ready? the site doesn't indicate it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sundace View Post
    hey guys!!!

i am about to buy a big betty 2.4 for the rear.

till now i run a 2.35 hans dampf pacestar, but it wore out fast and it wasn't very pliable.

questions:

1. is the 2.4 bb wider than the 2.35 hans dampf? i am quite close with the hd in the rear triangle.

2. is the big betty (folding , not tubeless edition) tubeless ready? the site doesn't indicate it.
    I am running the HD rear and BB front. The BB is a bit bigger than the HD. I imagine it would fit but you might get a bit of rub.

The BB folding is not labed as TLR but I mounted it tubeless on a Flow rim with no problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Now we have to cut knobs off the HD, too? I thought only the deadly Nevegals needed that treatment to become only dangerous.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    how wider is it? 1-2mm?

does it roll better than the hans dampf?

mtbr member
    Taking a closer look the two tires seem to have similar volume. The tread pattern on the BB makes it bigger than the HD.

The HD is the better roller between the two. The BB feels like a much more aggressive tire. It is a much better breaker as well. Right now I am running the BB up front and HD out back. Seems to be working well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    I've been running a Hans Dampf front tire for most of the season in Trailstar compound and it has been excellent. The compound is very soft, but as a front tire it should hold up reasonably well. The snakeskin tubeless-ready version is just about 780g if I remember right.

The Conti TK 2.4 UST is massive and heavy! I have a 2.4 Protection and that's over 1100g. A Maxxis Ardent 2.4 2-ply tire is lighter than that! The Conti TK UST 2.2 is an excellent rear tire. You'll get a bit more drift but plenty of bite and it rolls reasonably well too. I think it weighs just over 800g.
    is the hans dampf better rolling than the 2.2 trail king UST?

can you make a general comparison between the 2?

is the 2.2 tk smaller than the 2.35 hans?
    Last edited by sundace; 05-20-2013 at 03:21 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6