Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Thanks for the review. I am curious how the BB would work as a rear tire. I suspect pretty good, if the TSC would hold up. With the knobs being bigger, they may fair better than the HDs. My concern with the TK is the cornering as well. Seems like the side knobs are not directed enough outward, but rather upward, if that makes sense.
    I was just thinking the same thing, I imagine it would be killer on the rear, just big. Give the TK some time, I bet it'll be great on Holbert and 90% of SOMO. It's descending the Ranger type terrain where you'll likely notice it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing, I imagine it would be killer on the rear, just big. Give the TK some time, I bet it'll be great on Holbert and 90% of SOMO. It's descending the Ranger type terrain where you'll likely notice it.
    I really like the BB as a front tire, but when I rotated to the back, I didn't like it as much and went back to the TK out back. Granted, the tire I rotated was @ about half it's life, but it simply didn't work for me. I'm back & forth on going back to the BB for the next tire up front and rotating the butcher to the back.

Oh, my butcher @ 1y is starting to do what my last FA did @ ~10 months - side knobs are tearing in half.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    don't know if it's been mentioned already, but one of the really great things i think about the 2.25 TK is it's just barely over 2" tall, brand new! mounted on a ZTR Flow
    Last edited by nhodge; 04-18-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: more info
    breezy shade

destination unknown
    May 2008

Big Betty Update

Here's a quick update on the Big Betty. Love it! This tire rails so good. It doesn't break in corners, just hangs on and grabs with no noticeable dead spot. The rolling is great and it feels fast, the braking is spot on and predictable and it dampens chatter great. It ate up the slickrock and rocky trails in Sedona last weekend. The tire has been perfect setup tubeless on my Flows. Only con I'm seeing is in the durability dept. Some outer knobs are peeling off a little after 6 rides. It's not every knob, maybe a 1/4 of them are showing some sort of cracking or breaking away. I'll keep an eye on it.

After 6 rides:
    Hans Dampf or Trail King?-bb-6-rides.jpg

And a fun one from this mornings ride. The tire eats the desert rocks:
    Hans Dampf or Trail King?-wall-ride.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    looks like desert rocks eat the tire too
    breezy shade

Knollician
    I have a set of Chunky Monkeys on the way, at $30 per tire it is hard to beat for a Maxxis built tire. Let's hope they work.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Perpetual Hack
    Has anybody cut a pair of HansDampfs?

I like the tire, until the speed picks up then i find it tends to wash out with the front seeming to go away the most.

I know that Danny Hart ran his SuperGravity versions with the intermediate knobs cut.

Been thinking about trying this myself.

Thoughts?

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Has anybody cut a pair of HansDampfs?

I like the tire, until the speed picks up then i find it tends to wash out with the front seeming to go away the most.

I know that Danny Hart ran his SuperGravity versions with the intermediate knobs cut.

Been thinking about trying this myself.

Thoughts?

michael
    I'm not a huge fan of the HD for this reason.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Has anybody cut a pair of HansDampfs?I like the tire, until the speed picks up then i find it tends to wash out with the front seeming to go away the most.I know that Danny Hart ran his SuperGravity versions with the intermediate knobs cut.Been thinking about trying this myself.Thoughts?michael
    Deep sand patch w/ head of steam you're right it's a joke, had to start cutting transitions (over 30 grams). Problem w/ SG is it doesn't come in the pacestar.. MM FR my fav on the front, but like the BB above, trailstar compound sides get tore up. Not sure I will buy another trailstar

Only couple rides as I cut more off, it holds a lean better at high speed. When you have to do a quick cut and you have to turn the bars, it doesn't do that HD slide. Need more ride time though, I didn't trust it before (very close calls in the sand, spooks at high speed much worse that a spec clutch, clutch would float, HD does more of a zigzag) and that will be the test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hans Dampf or Trail King?-sg.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Wild Grip'r gonna be my next front if these don't work out

Perpetual Hack
    Now that looks interesting...

Time to get out the end-cutters I'm thinking

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Deep sand patch w/ head of steam you're right it's a joke, had to start cutting transitions (over 30 grams). Problem w/ SG is it doesn't come in the pacestar.. MM FR my fav on the front, but like the BB above, trailstar compound sides get tore up. Not sure I will buy another trailstar

Only couple rides as I cut more off, it holds a lean better at high speed. When you have to do a quick cut and you have to turn the bars, it doesn't do that HD slide. Need more ride time though, I didn't trust it before (very close calls in the sand, spooks at high speed much worse that a spec clutch, clutch would float, HD does more of a zigzag) and that will be the test.
    Very interesting. I was looking around to get some feedback on the HD SG's. By the way you can get them in pacestar. Bike-discount sales them

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    SG sidewalls are no joke.. Think it was a post from mykel that I found out about the SG's

One thing I forgot to post, hd casing is more round compared to the MM. They're both 2.35, but hd volume seems less or not as wide

mtbr member
    Tires are so subjective, for the areas that I ride I am loving the HD. I will echo the sentiments about wear though, Pacestars just wear too quickly.

This was my Trailstar that I had on the front for quite a while:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  83.8 KB
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    Here's a quick update on the Big Betty. Love it! This tire rails so good. It doesn't break in corners, just hangs on and grabs with no noticeable dead spot. The rolling is great and it feels fast, the braking is spot on and predictable and it dampens chatter great. It ate up the slickrock and rocky trails in Sedona last weekend. The tire has been perfect setup tubeless on my Flows. Only con I'm seeing is in the durability dept. Some outer knobs are peeling off a little after 6 rides. It's not every knob, maybe a 1/4 of them are showing some sort of cracking or breaking away. I'll keep an eye on it.
    LncNuvue - Are you liking the BB more than the Butcher? Need to buy a new front tire ASAP and can't deicide between the Butcher SX and BB. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm in SoCal as well and its starting to get pretty dry around here
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    LncNuvue - Are you liking the BB more than the Butcher? Need to buy a new front tire ASAP and can't deicide between the Butcher SX and BB. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm in SoCal as well and its starting to get pretty dry around here
    Thanks
    Both tires kick ass, can't lose with either.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    Thanks
    I haven't ridden the Butcher SX so I can't compare it directly to the BB. That said, I really like the Big Betty 2.4 TSC, Snakeskin, non-UST (890g). It handles and has traction and cornering characteristics that are on par with a 2.5 DFH but feels lighter, rolls smoother and has slightly better braking traction IMO. When comparing it to the Butcher Control it's not a fair fight as the BB is much larger and has a stouter casing. My observation is that it does everything just a little better and rides much much smoother over chatter. The Butcher Control is great for a lightweight option and is my favorite when needed in that application. As I mentioned previously, durability may be an issue as some of my side knobs have starts to crack a little.

Perpetual Hack
    BigBettys are my goto DH tire.
    When it does get a bit wetter, then a MM goes on front.
    If it is wet but not mud, then a MM on the rear as well.

My normal hill is clay, so they don't run in the wet...
    ...the BB does great on the hard-pack clay, limestone and loose slate, but with enough left that it will bite nicely in damp conditions. it will pack up quickly if the conditions are too wet, but it does quite well on wet rock and roots (rubber choice as usual plays a role)

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

I like them better..

Now that looks interesting...Time to get out the end-cutters I'm thinkingmichael
    Maybe leave a mm or two on some/ don't sip lugs all the way to the casing if you haven't already..

Been pinching a bit on the rocks, I use old azz tubes though.

Perpetual Hack
    Have done a cut, but did the "Danhny Hart" cut - where you remove the 4 "intermediate" knobs in the alternating block
    Gives a nice open channel between the side and centre.
    Trimmed about 2/3 of the way down.
    On initial ride, I like it, but I have not ridden them in anger yet.

Will take a pic, and hopefully if we get a bit of sun, be able to go for another ride. Will report back when the mud firms up.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    I have a set of Chunky Monkeys on the way, at $30 per tire it is hard to beat for a Maxxis built tire. Let's hope they work.
    Get a chance to try these yet?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Get a chance to try these yet?
    Yeah, but I need more time on them. Here is a mini-review form the 3 rides I have had so far

Chili slippage - Front Ardent 2.4 washed out on loose stones

Viva la Vida!

Hans Dampf or Trail King?

HD hands down
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

~~~~~~~~
    Maxxis parent company CST has several new low cost tires coming out soon as well, with these, Vee Rubber and On One, it's going to be interesting to see what was sacrificed to bring the price down.

trail "cleaner"
    Yeah, but I need more time on them. Here is a mini-review form the 3 rides I have had so far

Chili slippage - Front Ardent 2.4 washed out on loose stones
    Brando... I too am off the HD bandwagon... I checked my tires after the Sedona ride and found several knobs on the rear tire were tearing off already... AFTER TWO rides!! I'm ordering up a couple of Smorgasbord's. Those should be the ticket for the rear.
    No dabs allowed!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast