Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I'm looking for a new front tire to try out, just something to compare to my Muddy Mary. Maybe I should give the Butcher SX a shot based on some of your guys comments. Does it play well tubeless with a Flow rim?
    Hmm...I cannot compare it to the MM, while I do have time on that tire for DH riding, conditions were drastically different. I'm running the Butcher SX tubed with the Flow, so I am pretty useless here all around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm looking for a new front tire to try out, just something to compare to my Muddy Mary. Maybe I should give the Butcher SX a shot based on some of your guys comments. Does it play well tubeless with a Flow rim?
    HD doesn't even come close, side walls are thinner and it washes(SG is def better/beefier than the MM FR sidewalls though) and HD tread floats around in sand. . To get similar grip to my MM, fully cut off half of all the transition knobs and it became MUCH better. Been meaning to take off the rest but it's such a btch

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sweet setup like this w/ black chilly TK rear

mtbr member
    FWIW, I really like the Hans in pretty much all conditions here in the PNW. I've only ran it in the rear however. (I like Muddy Mary up front). I also ran the trail star compound, tubeless on Flows, and about 27 psi. I'm about 215 RTR, but I might start trying to lower my PSI a bit.

The one on my hardtail has been on awhile and still has life left in it, but that doesn't see as much riding as the Chili. The first one on the Chili lasted ok the first few months I had it, say April until about July. Then I really started working on my corners, and the thing went to hell in a handbasket fast. Knobs tearing, some ripping clean off. I threw another one on since I got a pair of new ones for a screaming deal, so we'll see how this one wears.

If this one wears fast like the last one, I might give the Pace Star compound a go.
    I was re-reading back over this thread to refresh my memory about the comments on certain tires. The HD TSC that I mentioned above that fell apart was warrantied by Schwalbe. I threw it in a corner last fall and forgot about it until a few months ago, and filled out the warranty claim online. Figured it was worth a shot before I threw it in the trash.

Ended up speaking with a Schwalbe rep, and he said they can't figure out why some HD's do this (knobs just tearing and ripping completely off). He said they have tires out of the same batches doing this, and others holding up just fine. So who knows...
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Knollician
    I had an opportunity to get out on the HD/TK combo today. The ride started up Kiwanis, a ledgy techy climb, then up National west which is a lengthy chunky mixed climb, followed by flowing XC'ish terrain which is mostly very loose. I must say the TK is the best rear tire I have used in quite some time. Certainly better than any of the Specy tires I have used. Considering the tire is approaching 1100 grams, it rode very light. The tire rolls exceptionally well for a big, sticky tire.

I found with the TK that I could power in spots where I would often have to let off a bit to avoid the rear tire from breaking loose. This helped me clean some things that I have not cleaned in a while. Overall, pretty happy right now with this combo. I have several other rides I like to do before I be sure this is a good overall combo.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah the 2.4 TK in black chili is a boss of a tire - wet or dry. FWIW, mine lasted a long time, even out back. Keep us posted on whatcha think, glad you are happy (right now)!

ಠ_ಠ
    I have had great success with using Hans Dampf on my Chilcotin. I run TSC front / PSC rear. In fact they are the best tires I've ever used in 11+ years of mountain biking. I ride in So. California, but they also did great in Seattle when I rode there.

Knollician
    The HD PSC is one of the worst rear tires I have ever used. The TK is so much better. I'm not sure the HD TSC is going to be the front tire of choice for me either. Time will tell. I can see the TK 2.2 making its on my Endo too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    First ride yesterday on the Butcher 2.5 SX front and TK 2.4 Apex UST rear. Heavy combo, but rolls nice for FR/DH tires. Both grip extremely well on loose climbs and wet limestone. The Butcher has better lateral grip than the TK and corners very well. Some have complained about the TK cornering, but I never had too many issues; however, the lateral grip is vastly improved with the Butcher. This combo rolls better than Minions, IMO.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    That's a good deal you got on the HD's. I have a stockpile of tires that didn't pass go. I spent a lot of money to end up right back at what I already knew works for me. I really like the Butcher Control it keeps amazing me with how well it tracks and rails the corners. I would definitely consider an SX if I could find one. I'm going to test the 2.4 Big Betty tomorrow but if it falters the DHF will be on for my Sedona trip. The BB 2.4 is HUGE, square profile, but no defined channel that I prefer like on the Butcher and DHF.

Attachment 788076
    How did the BB work out for you?

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    How did the BB work out for you?
    So far so good. I rode in Idyllwild today where the terrain is a bit loamier with some techy granite climbs, boulders, rollers and chutes here and there, think sierra singletrack. First thing I noticed was how calm the tire made the bike feel compared to the Butcher, having the UST Trail King on the rear helped too. It just eliminated the chatter. This is mostly due to the size difference and the heavier casing I believe. It felt a bit smoother than the DHF too as the large square knobs on the DHF can send some feedback up through the bars. After a 1/4 way through the ride I began to really feel confident enough to ride the Big Betty exactly how I would the DHF or Butcher, weighting the bars in corners and counter steering without fearing the front end would go on me. It braked well and held a straight line, something I thought the HD lacked. Tuesday I'm going to ride down here in the desert so that will tell me a lot more. I've had tires perform great up in the mountains but then turn out to lack the cornering traction in the desert. I have a feeling this Big Betty will do fine though.

Hans Dampf or Trail King?-hubtrails.jpg

Knollician
    So far so good. I rode in Idyllwild today where the terrain is a bit loamier with some techy granite climbs, boulders, rollers and chutes here and there, think sierra singletrack. First thing I noticed was how calm the tire made the bike feel compared to the Butcher, having the UST Trail King on the rear helped too. It just eliminated the chatter. This is mostly due to the size difference and the heavier casing I believe. It felt a bit smoother than the DHF too as the large square knobs on the DHF can send some feedback up through the bars. After a 1/4 way through the ride I began to really feel confident enough to ride the Big Betty exactly how I would the DHF or Butcher, weighting the bars in corners and counter steering without fearing the front end would go on me. It braked well and held a straight line, something I thought the HD lacked. Tuesday I'm going to ride down here in the desert so that will tell me a lot more. I've had tires perform great up in the mountains but then turn out to lack the cornering traction in the desert. I have a feeling this Big Betty will do fine though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HubTrails.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	399.9 KB 
ID:	788431
    That sounds good to me. Does the BB have the same sidewalls that the HD has? Looking at the photos, it seems like it might be very similar to a Minion or Butcher. EBikestop.com has really good prices on the BB, so I am curious to hear more about it.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    That sounds good to me. Does the BB have the same sidewalls that the HD has? Looking at the photos, it seems like it might be very similar to a Minion or Butcher. EBikestop.com has really good prices on the BB, so I am curious to hear more about it.
    Yes, same snakeskin sidewall and similar casing as the HD. It's not listed as TLR though. It mounted right away and I ran 18psi on the first ride. It's very square and huge volume.

mtbr member
    Yes, same snakeskin sidewall and similar casing as the HD. It's not listed as TLR though. It mounted right away and I ran 18psi on the first ride. It's very square and huge volume.
    LucNuvue, so I take it you are running it tubeless? The Muddy Mary I am running (on a Flow), mounted up immediately as well, and no issues in a year. Same sidewall and casing as the HD as well.

I might have to give the Big Betty another try and jump on one. I've not ran one in a few years, but it was a great tire when I did run it.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    LucNuvue, so I take it you are running it tubeless? The Muddy Mary I am running (on a Flow), mounted up immediately as well, and no issues in a year. Same sidewall and casing as the HD as well.
    Yep, tubeless on Flows.

Weapon of Choice
    Lance, FWIW I ran the Big betty non UST version tubeless in Nevada for about a year, and it worked great, no issues at all. It rolls pretty good too btw and the sidewalls are tough. My question is did you have issues getting that tire on your rim? I recently tried to get it back on my front wheel rim and could not get it to work, not sure what I did right the first time but either my rim got larger or tire shrunk!

Super Unknown

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69 View Post
    Lance, FWIW I ran the Big betty non UST version tubeless in Nevada for about a year, and it worked great, no issues at all. It rolls pretty good too btw and the sidewalls are tough. My question is did you have issues getting that tire on your rim? I recently tried to get it back on my front wheel rim and could not get it to work, not sure what I did right the first time but either my rim got larger or tire shrunk!
    It went on the rim just fine. If you are able to get it on the rim but not mounted try pulling the core of the valve stem out and airing it up to set the bead, soaping the bead helps too. Reinstall the valve core and air it up again. I've had to do that with a few tires that were being stubborn about mounting.

Weapon of Choice
    It went on the rim just fine. If you are able to get it on the rim but not mounted try pulling the core of the valve stem out and airing it up to set the bead, soaping the bead helps too. Reinstall the valve core and air it up again. I've had to do that with a few tires that were being stubborn about mounting.
    I can get one side of the tire mounted on rim, its the other side I can get completely over, even with soap! about 6-7 inches keep from getting over the rim. M

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    You chose wisely. I've seen how hard you ride. You would've blown those things apart. I got about 2 months of riding on my HD's before putting them away. I was riding them tubeless at the time and the 1st month was great. They went steadily down hill after that. I was flatting at least once a ride. I tried them with tubes for a couple of weeks and it got worse. Besides that the tread wore so fast it was ridiculous. If I stuck with them I'd been lucky to get 3 months out of them.
    Woodyak, I have the same experience with HD PSC in Lynn Woods. It is just the wrong tire for this park. every sharp granite rock punctures the tire, 3 rides - 3 punctures. I thought it only happened on jumps but got it on a roller yesterday. Never had this issue with Butcher Control or Maxis High roller. Going to try it with tube but I have my doubts.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post
    Woodyak, I have the same experience with HD PSC in Lynn Woods. It is just the wrong tire for this park. every sharp granite rock punctures the tire, 3 rides - 3 punctures. I thought it only happened on jumps but got it on a roller yesterday. Never had this issue with Butcher Control or Maxis High roller. Going to try it with tube but I have my doubts.
    Glad it's not just me. Everyone on the Internet loves these tires. I gotta wonder what kinda terrain people are riding because these things were terrible for me. Still stuck on the Ardents myself. Gonna give the Trail Kings a try next.

mtbr member
    From what I read the general consensus seems to be the people that ride really rocky areas tend to hate the Dampfs. The folks who ride in areas with less rock and more dirt (here in the PNW, NorCal, etc, for instance), seem to love them.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Glad it's not just me. Everyone on the Internet loves these tires. I gotta wonder what kinda terrain people are riding because these things were terrible for me. Still stuck on the Ardents myself. Gonna give the Trail Kings a try next.
    Yep, all the love these things get I figured I would try them out. So far, the front tire is average, but the Trail King as a rear tire is in a whole other league than the HD for our terrain. It has only been one ride, but it was very positive. I'm hoping the Big Betty works out for Lance, as it seems like it might be a good choice for a front tire. Not sure I want to run the TK as a front, but I might have to try it out. One thing I really appreciate about the HD and the TK is the additional volume, it makes a noticeable difference.

I'll know more on the TK after we hit Holbert. If a tire works well on that trail, then it should work for everything I need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I ride very rocky trails of upstate ny on my endorphin using a 2.35 HD tsc up front and I love it. I do not love th durability of the knobs though, after 1 season of riding all of the side knobs are hanging on for dear life. I used is tire in the rear and hated it, felt like an anchor...maybe th Psc version would have felt better.

I am trying to find a new rear tire for this set up, 3 years of my 2.25 wtb moto raptor and I think it's time to retire it. Thinking of spec purgatory at the moment, or maybe a 2.25 high roller. I definitely want something faster around 2.25 in the rear.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    I'm hoping the Big Betty works out for Lance, as it seems like it might be a good choice for a front tire.
    I just got in from a morning ride in the desert. The trails are dry and crude right now, very loose over hardpack, fast babyhead descents braking into switchbacks, flat corners, ruts, etc. I have to say the Big Betty was amazing. The tire never budged in the corners and flattened everything in its path. It's early to say it but this might be the best tire I've ever ridden. I'm not sure if it was the volume or what but every time I pedaled into a descent the bike felt like it took off. It was AWESOME! It braked perfectly in rough loose stuff and I was carrying stupid speeds into switchbacks braking hard into them and cleaning them just fine. I did find the limits of the TK on the rear, with the higher speeds the rear end was all over the place -- it's not the best at hard cornering in the desert. It just doesn't have the side knobs for it -- it's still a great tire that works for a lot of trails.

Knollician
    I just got in from a morning ride in the desert. The trails are dry and crude right now, very loose over hardpack, fast babyhead descents braking into switchbacks, flat corners, ruts, etc. I have to say the Big Betty was amazing. The tire never budged in the corners and flattened everything in its path. It's early to say it but this might be the best tire I've ever ridden. I'm not sure if it was the volume or what but every time I pedaled into a descent the bike felt like it took off. It was AWESOME! It braked perfectly in rough loose stuff and I was carrying stupid speeds into switchbacks braking hard into them and cleaning them just fine. I did find the limits of the TK on the rear, with the higher speeds the rear end was all over the place -- it's not the best at hard cornering in the desert. It just doesn't have the side knobs for it -- it's still a great tire that works for a lot of trails.
    Thanks for the review. I am curious how the BB would work as a rear tire. I suspect pretty good, if the TSC would hold up. With the knobs being bigger, they may fair better than the HDs. My concern with the TK is the cornering as well. Seems like the side knobs are not directed enough outward, but rather upward, if that makes sense.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast