mtbr member
    Jan 2009

hammerschmidt podium question.

i am toying arround with ideas now for a potential podium build,
    would the hammerschmidt work well on a podium, or would it be a bad combination.
    thanks in advance ian.

mtbr member
    Im not sure why you would want to put a hammershit on a DH bike? I know.....I have seen all the rumblings about there being no Delirium availability for the next little while. Trying to make a dedicated DH bike into something it isnt seems to be a little short sighted in my opinion. There are other brands out there offering to fill the niche that is currently vacant with no Delirium (though some will argue the Chili fills the gap right now).
    To answer your question, it probably would work. The question that needs to be asked is 'should I' rather than 'could I'.
    We own three Knolly's, so I am also a huge fan of the brand, but trying to put a round peg into a square hole just wont work sometimes. My wife actually has a Podium with a single crown, and she does pedal it. It is purely for fireroads and to get her to the top. It would NOT be a good bike for trails or any kind of technical climbs.

Just my .02

si vis pacem...
    I would second Buzz's comments above. The Podium excels at what it was designed for: nosebleed-inducingly fast downhill. Try to build it up as a trail bike and you are asking for disappointment.

I think a lot of Delerium fans are selling the Chilcotin short. Just because it looks like more of a trail bike doesn't mean it is a shrinking violet. This is a VERY capable bike - ask Garrett Beuhler.

mtbr member
    I have a HS on my Chili & it works well -

mtbr member
    Not sure what you are going for with the HS (I had one on my DT, since I was going for a bike without any derailleurs, and had a IGH in the back). But I always thought that it would be perfect for a DJ or DH bike, if you ran it as a 1x2. The instant engagement and large gear jumps would be nice. There is a bit of drag in overdrive, but not a big deal for DJ, and the faster gear switch in DH would probably make up for any time lost.

Using the podium as a trailbike? Sure, why not. Frankly, I don't know why people detest bikes that don't pedal so well. It really only matters if you are racing, or otherwise competing imo. And there is bound to be a bigger gap in fitness between your local riding buddies, than a bike will make up the difference with. But to each his own.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks for your replies guys.

i know i originally asked the question a few weeks back regarding the podium as a potential trail bike, and i read all the replies and took in what was said, in the back of my mind when i originally asked that question i kind of knew the answer, the podium is a designed designated worldcup dh sled, so it was obviously not gonna do trail riding very well, so i have scrapped that idea completely, i now have another plan in action, cant go into much detail yet, details will follow shortly watch this space,
    my reason for asking about the schmid on a podium, i am pretty sure im gonna go for a podium,
    i have had a schmidt on the dt for the last 4 years and love it, ( i like the schmidt that much i built up a chromag stylus with one as well)
    as i dont have much money, i was thinking of frankinbike bits from the dt to the podium, then i would only really need a new rear wheel and bb for the schmidt. i would be running the podium on a 180mm bos ndee fork,

so do you guys think i would be better binning the schmidt idea and going with a regular single ring crank and chaindevice,

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post

i am pretty sure im gonna go for a podium,

so do you guys think i would be better binning the schmidt idea and going with a regular single ring crank and chaindevice,
    I would keep all options open for Podium drivetrain. If you want to keep it cheap, transfer your HS over, then down the road, if you find some extra cash in your pocket, you can consider sram XX1 to lose a couple pounds.

With the improvements in long stroke DH air shocks recently, and fewer choices in the 7-8" bike equipped for front shifting, I think we will see more true DH bikes with more 'versatile' builds. In fact, I won't be surprised when we start seeing DH bikes with dropper post cable routing. Adjustable seat height will win races on courses with flat 'pedal-ly' sections (see: Fontana Wall)
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes