Thread: Half Nelson

mtbr member

Half Nelson

Not the most exciting bit of video but kudos goes out to those crazy canadians that make trails like this happen. An amazing amount of work has gone into the trails in Squamish, all legit too (at least the ones we rode). Must be a kick in the pants when you know every turn on this trail, this was our first time down after we had been riding for 7 hours.
    http://vimeo.com/26899546

Team Fearless Descender
    Great vid Craig! Man, sooooo flowly! AND, something that I could actually ride! Ha! I lot of the Canadian stuff I see includes wooden stunts that appear to be about 6” wide and 10’ in the air! Just watched the vid twice… Mmmmmm……
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    I think a trip to Squamish is in order here. That is exactly the type of trail I go nuts for. Get a couple of runs in and wick up the speed. Thanks for posting the videos on what looks like an epic trip.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    I rode Squamptom 2 years ago, and it was one of the best trips I've ever had. Trails were unbelievable, and folks were great with giving up a lift back up the mountain. However, Half Nelson was my least favorite trail. I just couldn't figure out the flow. Whenever my tires left the ground, I either slammed to flat or into the next jump. There weren't any transitions unless you went really slow, or really, really fast. I was bummed b/c I had pretty high expectations.

Just roll it......

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yeah, what El Salt said. Nice seeing something that looks like I could ride too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    wow... That guy rips.

Now I see what I was doing wrong. I'm supposed to manual, flip, and 360 my way down Nelson.

But in all seriousness, I think a hardtail (like Brandon was riding) is the way to go on Half Nelson. My V-Tach is a poor choice for trails like that. Too much squish, so it's hard to pop off the jumps.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    wow... That guy rips.

Now I see what I was doing wrong. I'm supposed to manual, flip, and 360 my way down Nelson.

But in all seriousness, I think a hardtail (like Brandon was riding) is the way to go on Half Nelson. My V-Tach is a poor choice for trails like that. Too much squish, so it's hard to pop off the jumps.
    Lol.....yeah, we built a jump trail that is similar to that....really designed for an all-mountain type of rig. I see guys pushing their big bikes up to ride it and know for a fact they aren't clearing a lot of trannies on those rigs. If they are making the backsides of the jumps, then it's way more work than it's worth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    craig,,,,, did you guys ride angry midget, this is a awesome trail, and one of my faves so far. also really like rollercoaster.