RideDirt

Guys i need a FAVOR please ??

Ok so how many of you have the 2013 fox rp23 on your frame ? If you do , can you please take a nice clear big picture for me of the under body of the canister ? Or at least a side shot? I am trying to figure out of i am missing some kind of O ring or seal in a particular section of the shock . The circled part is what i am talking about here :

Thanks ! I sold this to someone on PB and he claims i am missing a type of seal from there , but i was told the new shocks are different from the previous models . Any help would be great, thanks !

mtbr member
    Does that part even move? I think that is a part of the Kashima Process. In order to do Kashima Coatings, you have to do the entire part, inside and out...sort of like anodizing. As far as I know there is only one seal on the RP23, and you can clearly see that on the right.

Fox Updates FIT, Pro Pedal, Gets Slicker and Adds Long Travel 29er, Ti-Crowned Forks - Bike Rumor

Scroll down to the the "previously leaked" paragraph for the comment on coating the entire air sleeve.

...I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but that RP23 looks perfectly normal to me.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

RideDirt
    As you can see on this 2012 Model , where i have circled in yellow there is some typ of O-ring/seal on the body . So i am wondering if the 2013 models have this as well as mine didnt have one .

mtbr member
    Interesting, it looks like a clip that fits in that groove, to perhaps hold the black ring in place. I wonder if it is epoxied in place when assembled. Looks like they went from a 2-piece air sleeve to a 1 piece with the 2013 models. I doubt it matter, since that little clip is hardly a structural member. Maybe someone with more knowledge about rear shocks can offer more.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

RideDirt
    Well i was told i have a 2013 shock and thats all i know about it . Yea i was looking at a few pix online and i need to get this cleared up quickly hopefully .

mtbr member
    Pretty sure that outside can is the 'high volume' air chamber.

Looks like the seals are inside and the missing clip is to stop it sliding off the shock body maybe? You can see a groove in the cutaway.

You can probably check by looking at the rebuild instructions.

RideDirt
    Yes i have the high volume air chamber .. I just want to do right to the guy i sold it to , since hes worried that i might of sold him something " Broken " . Yea thats the groove alright .

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Mine looks the same excepts for the color of the retainer ring (2012)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Guys i need a FAVOR please ??-img_0910.jpg  

RideDirt
    Ya so I guess mine is missing that ring or?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a '12, but can check tomorrow evening.

RideDirt
    Got it all figured out guys thanks ! They have the seals inside and not outside anymore .Got confirmation directly from Fox.