Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Gloriously Bright New Chilcotin

Finally got the build complete about five minutes before loading up to head for St. George last Friday. (Note to self: Try not to finish a build 5 minutes before you leave on a trip)

I'll post the full build in the Chilcotin setup thread, but here's a few pics and a few more thoughts on my first two rides.

SAM_0327

SAM_0324

SAM_0332

SAM_0329

SAM_0331

SAM_0330

Getting a bit too much sag on the ccdba with 120lb pressure (recommended starting point for my weight) so will try 130lb.... or does a little bit go along way? It bobs a bit much while pedaling on smooth ground so need to increase the slow compression dampening? Or should I leave it alone until I get the sag right? Need to delve into the instruction manual and the CCDBA set up thread and spend some quality time tinkering.

Dropped the pressure in the Fox Float fork to 68lb (from 72) and now it sags a bit too much too..... and still doesn't get full travel. Suggestions?

Flipped the lower headset bearing around (I did have it upside down, D'Oh) but was still a bit rattlely today. Gotta check the bearing pre-load again.

I was expecting to have some set up issues with the MRP 2x but I set it like recommended and so far it's been stellar.

Lev 150 worked flawlessly the first ride (85 deg) but was a bit slow returning today (28 degrees). Could just be the temperature. I'll report back.

Got the bars, headset spacers, controls better sorted for today's ride the cockpit felt much better. (Duh)
    Last edited by KRob; 03-18-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Perpetual Hack
    What a mess - must be a real hack mechanic.
    Just too many problems to count....

TOTAL FAIL!!!

only cause its not mine.

Looks fantastic Kent.
    Bet you feel just a little bit better about your mech'in abilities.

Well done.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Well..I just posted on other thread but I'll say it again...I go skiing for a week and you go and build a Chili. Looks great.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the props. I just saw a T-shirt on a young girl in my office that perfectly describes the new Chili. It was bright fluorescent yellow (like the chili) and said "Caution: You may be blinded by my shear awesomeness".

I'm not as bad a mechanic as I implied (I'm just not as careful and anal as a good mechanic should be)... but I'd certainly rather be riding than working on my bike.

Yebo Numzaan
    Nice dude! Super stoked to follow you as you get to know it.

Does your CC40 headset have a flat part with blue rubber around the edges? I think it is supposed to be a seal? I couldnt get my HS to tighten (without having too much pre load). Took it to my lbs and the dude suggested just leaving that out. Problem solved.

I am running the endo 1x10 with an XT clutch and no lower roller on my chain guide...havent dropped a chain yet. I am keeping the chain guide for the bash plate.

I need to tweak my LEV...seems to work fine...then occasionaly not work. It is also a bit slow for my preference (40deg)

Whenever my 2010 float doesnt get full travel at the correct sag, i flip it upside down and let the air out. You may find oil has migrated into the air chamber from the lowers - reducing the volume and causing it to ramp up more. Since your fork is new - i doubt that it is the issue. I think Fox resolved this issue in 2011?

Have you played around with the LSC? If you have 20% sag and the fork is diving, i would be adding LSC. Personally i try run as little LSC as possible.

Have fun bru!
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Hey Guys:

If the LEV is returning slowly, please check the air pressure in them. This is easy to do (though requires removing the saddle): instructions can be found on Page 14 here:
    http://kssuspension.com/wp-content/u...nglish_web.pdf

Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Nice looking Chili man, so jealous right now of all you southern riders. I spent the last five months building up my Chili and have to wait for the snow to melt. Mother!!!

si vis pacem...
    Sweet ride! 'Tis the season for last-minute bike builds, I guess. I have a Chili that I need to build up in time for a trip to Moab on Thursday. Wish me luck.

mtbr member
    That came out great! Really nice looking bike. For reference, I weigh 160lbs out of the shower and run 125psi in the CCDB Air for 30% sag. How was St. George?

mtbr member
    KRob, good looking bike. Look me up next time you're down so we can thrash our Chilcotins.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Nice dude! Super stoked to follow you as you get to know it.

Does your CC40 headset have a flat part with blue rubber around the edges? I think it is supposed to be a seal? I couldnt get my HS to tighten (without having too much pre load). Took it to my lbs and the dude suggested just leaving that out. Problem solved.

I am running the endo 1x10 with an XT clutch and no lower roller on my chain guide...havent dropped a chain yet. I am keeping the chain guide for the bash plate.

I need to tweak my LEV...seems to work fine...then occasionaly not work. It is also a bit slow for my preference (40deg)

Whenever my 2010 float doesnt get full travel at the correct sag, i flip it upside down and let the air out. You may find oil has migrated into the air chamber from the lowers - reducing the volume and causing it to ramp up more. Since your fork is new - i doubt that it is the issue. I think Fox resolved this issue in 2011?

Have you played around with the LSC? If you have 20% sag and the fork is diving, i would be adding LSC. Personally i try run as little LSC as possible.

Have fun bru!
    Thanks Dave. And thanks for the tips. See that is why I love mtbr. I'll try those.

I'm excited to get to know the new Chili better as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    Hey Guys:

If the LEV is returning slowly, please check the air pressure in them. This is easy to do (though requires removing the saddle): instructions can be found on Page 14 here:
    http://kssuspension.com/wp-content/u...nglish_web.pdf

Cheers!
    Thanks Noel. Those instruction manuals seem to contain all the mysteries of the Kingdom. I guess I'm going to have to read them.

mtbr member
    I had a 2012 Float 36 RLC. I could never get full travel. Even with all the air out, the last half inch was some sort of rubber bottom out bumper or something. I could never come to terms with that fork. I just picked up a Lyric Solo Air 170.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Looks good KRob!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    That came out great! Really nice looking bike. For reference, I weigh 160lbs out of the shower and run 125psi in the CCDB Air for 30% sag. How was St. George?
    Ditto. Sometimes 158, sometimes 163 but 160 more often than not. Gonna try 125psi for tomorrow's ride and double check to see if I'm at all the recommended starting settings for the Chilcotin.

Thanks. Did a good warm up ride with my son on Bear Claw Poppy, then did a solo spin on Zen before it got dark. Fun stuff as usual. They've finished the singletrack return at the bottom of Zen. More good stuff and it's nice that you don't have drop down to the double track for the last 1/2 mile.
    Last edited by KRob; 03-20-2013 at 10:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
    KRob, good looking bike. Look me up next time you're down so we can thrash our Chilcotins.
    Hey Ron, I'd forgotten that you got a Chili. Will do. Gotta get back down there more this spring.

I was supposed to hook up with Allen but was late getting to the Zen trail head coming off the ride with my son so sent him off ahead. With the pinch flat, I never did catch up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I had a 2012 Float 36 RLC. I could never get full travel. Even with all the air out, the last half inch was some sort of rubber bottom out bumper or something. I could never come to terms with that fork. I just picked up a Lyric Solo Air 170.
    That's what I was afraid of. Seems like a rode a couple Fox 36s at I-bike and in North Van/Squamish that were working pretty well so I had hopes that things were sorted. I'll continue to fiddle with it and if I can't get there I'll swap it out. Does Avalanche make a cartridge for the Fox 36?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Does Avalanche make a cartridge for the Fox 36?
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Very nice Krob. Congrats and nice to see you finally got your hands on your own Chilco.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of that girl in the office in that t-shirt?????

Ha!

mtbr member
    Congrats KRob!

The fun has just begun. A couple more rides and you will really be looking for ways to sneak out of work!

And to Parabellum, get that Chili built up! I am heading to Moab this Friday so maybe I'll catch you out there. Looking forward to Captain Ahab!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Congrats KRob!

The fun has just begun. A couple more rides and you will really be looking for ways to sneak out of work!

And to Parabellum, get that Chili built up! I am heading to Moab this Friday so maybe I'll catch you out there. Looking forward to Captain Ahab!
    Thanks Rory. I'm wanting to sneak off this weekend and join you in Moab. Jealous.

Couple more thoughts:
    I miss my 55RC3. I tried muttonchop's suggestion plus backed out on the HSC to two clicks from full open and had the LSC at 4 clicks from full open. Pressure set at 68lbs. Well it's much better on small bump compliance and I definitely got full travel at least, but now it's way too divey on steep, steppy descents. It just felt over matched by the Rob's Knob descent I tackled today. Gonna go back up to 70-72 lbs and add back in a couple clicks of LSC.

Love the Lev 150. It's addressed pretty much every compaint I've had with dropper posts in the past. The cable doesn't move (attaches down by the seat collar) and it has enough travel to raise to pedaling height and drop to slammed without adjusting it in the seat tube. Nice.
    Last edited by KRob; 03-19-2013 at 11:47 AM.

si vis pacem...
    How long are you guys in Moab? Although I'm leaving home on Thursday we're actually stopping off in Provo to visit family for a few days on the way down and won't actually arrive in Moab until the 27th. If any of you are still around by then I'd love to get together for a rip.

The Chili is in the final stages - like KRob I opted for the Knolly build kit, but I swapped the Avid brakes out for XTR trail and I'll be running my old Joplin 4 dropper post until the KS Lev arrives. (sadly, it won't be in time for the trip) Pics to follow...

mtbr member
    Bummer, we are leaving early Friday to get to Moab after lunch (6hr drive) and staying till Tuesday.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I'm really impressed with the rear end and bb stiffness of this bike. No flex. Period. I think this really helps make it launch forward when standing and hammering though I know a lot of that is in the suspension design. Not quite like a Mojo HD but way better than my Delirium T and even a bit better than my 5 spot.... and what's incredible (not sure what voodoo magic Noel performs with his Four x 4) but it remains nearly as plush and active as the DT while pedaling up rocky, techy stuff... without stiffening ala VPP or DW, yet not feeling squatty or wallowy like a FSR/horst link can sometimes! Amazing.

Got her muddy today. Absolutely no problems with chain suck or skipping or clearance problems etc. And she looks even better with some slop on her. It really stands out against the flo yellow.

Fork is getting closer to sorted (at least for more normal trails/AM stuff). It was pretty good on small bump compliance yet still pushed the ring to the top of stanchion without me being aware of any bottoming(again... fairly normal XC/trail type route, nothing crazy). Probably need more ramp up and less dive for bigger drops, steeper descents, more AM/FR type conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Not quite like a Mojo HD but way better than my Delirium T and even a bit better than my 5 spot.... and what's incredible (not sure what voodoo magic Noel performs with his Four x 4) but it remains nearly as plush and active as the DT while pedaling up rocky, techy stuff... without stiffening ala VPP or DW, yet not feeling squatty or wallowy like a FSR/horst link can sometimes! Amazing.
    Woah, hey now, that's cRaZy talk.........just not in this particular forum .
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast