Thread: future endo

mtbr member
    May 2008

future endo

Please please please make an endo two niner. I need it in my life so bad. Now that the warden is out I'm thinking this is the logical progression of the bike. Hook it up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcht View Post
    please please please make an endo two niner. I need it in my life so bad. Now that the warden is out i'm thinking this is the logical progression of the bike. Hook it up!
    never gonna happen
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I hope to god this guy is trolling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just put a 29" on the front if you want the bike to handle poorly. No need for another design.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    in term of business plan.... it will double the current sale of knolly bikes....

mtbr member
    May 2008
    And they know that which is why I think the endo will be a 29er soon.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Not all 29ers handle poorly. Like all innovations: they improve over time. Examples:

-- Specialized Enduro 29er
    -- Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

29ers excel in certain conditions and 26ers in others. There are always tradeoffs; but it depends on what you want.

KCHT is expressing his confidence that Noel and Knolly will be able to build the best 29er available. Personally, I think Noel and his designs are up to the challenge.

That said; does Noel have the time? For the next ~6 months Noel will be tweaking the Warden design to get it just right (he's a perfectionist from what I gather); and then he has to make sure the Warden is getting manufactured to spec.

After that, who knows what he sees as his next bike. A 29er will take quite few changes in the frame design. To make the Warden frame work for Noel, it took major changes to the head tube. It would take an even more radical change to make a 29er work with "Knolly's 'newest, most progressive geometry'"*. It all depends on what Noel sees as the best move for Knolly Bikes.

*Here is the part of a post by Noel in the knolly WARDEN thread that I'm referencing:

Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    ...We also have several generation of frames now that I would say have a similar fit: the 2nd generation Delirium, 2nd generation Endorphin and the current Chilcotin are all based on Knolly's "newest, most progressive geometry" that we have developed over the years. We're continually tweaking this geometry (the Warden will be no exception...) and we do of course test all of the frame sizes. For example, we found that with the new Endorphin, we needed to make the head tube slightly longer on the size large frame compared to the Chilcotin, but the mediums could be much closer together. This was simply due to the different fork AC lengths and frame geometries.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have no idea where Knolly sits with their production capacity, but being able to double sales isn't necessarily the no-brainer an outsider might think it is. Especially for a small company that wants to stick to its core values - in order to build a great 29er I believe you must be passionate about doing so, and I don't know if Knolly is.

They make a lot of sense for certain riders but to me that doesn't mean Knolly should build one. Maybe they will, but I feel like the fact that Knolly skipped 29" and went straight to 27.5" is pretty telling.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    geesus. No Sh!ttt. Lock this thread already

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    I have no idea where Knolly sits with their production capacity, but being able to double sales isn't necessarily the no-brainer an outsider might think it is. Especially for a small company that wants to stick to its core values - in order to build a great 29er I believe you must be passionate about doing so, and I don't know if Knolly is.

They make a lot of sense for certain riders but to me that doesn't mean Knolly should build one. Maybe they will, but I feel like the fact that Knolly skipped 29" and went straight to 27.5" is pretty telling.
    Nailed it on the head. Very few Knolly faithful are interested in the type of riding that 29ers excel at, and who knows if they have the production capability - or the passion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I doubt if I'd buy it.

I've had a niner. sexy, stable, fast and boring (for me). I may one day buy another if I get back into endurance/xc racing and riding against the clock but until the stopwatch takes precedence over fun factor it won't happen. And even were that the case and Knolly had one on the menu, there are other firms doing a good job of putting out those bikes at prices that knolly would have a hard time matching.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nope.

mtbr member
    I predict the Endo won't stay as a 26er through 2 more seasons. 650B is the logical option, but times change and so do people's perspectives on things. I don't think a 29er Endo is a crazy idea.

Endo [29er] at 130/140mm travel
    Warden [27.5] at 150mm travel
    Chilcotin [26er] at 160/170mm travel
    Podium [26er] at 215 travel

...would be a pretty sweet line up.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I predict the Endo won't stay as a 26er through 2 more seasons. 650B is the logical option, but times change and so do people's perspectives on things. I don't think a 29er Endo is a crazy idea.

Endo [29er] at 130/140mm travel
    Warden [27.5] at 150mm travel
    Chilcotin [26er] at 160/170mm travel
    Podium [26er] at 215 travel

...would be a pretty sweet line up.
    Noel has already addressed the design limitations of the 29r wheel. I'd bet we see a 27.5 option, but not 29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KCHT View Post
    Please please please make an endo two niner. I need it in my life so bad. Now that the warden is out I'm thinking this is the logical progression of the bike. Hook it up!
    future endo-do-not-want.jpg
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Noel has already addressed the design limitations of the 29r wheel. I'd bet we see a 27.5 option, but not 29.
    Stuff changes. The 29ers we are seeing now weren't on anyone's radar 5yrs ago. Times change and so can people's opinions.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it certainly isn't crazy talk.

More than one bike company who publicly stated they weren't doing a 29er now has 'em and in one case I can think of it's the company's best seller.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Keep everything. Warden, Chilco, and Endo. Make Endo 140mm, low and slack like Spitfire... Then we have an all-star lineup!!

Bnerd
    I'd be all over a 29er Endo!

I'm in the market next summer for a burly AM FS 29er. If Knolly decided to build an Endo29 I'd try to be first in line! But seeing as that probably won't happen anywhere close to my timeline for purchase I'm looking at the Banshee Prime.

For the last 2 seasons I've been riding the **** out of one of the "new school" 29ers, a Kona Honzo.
    I've been riding it pretty much on every trail in the Whistler valley and beyond. I've even been riding the bike on some of the gnarlier trails that I normally only ride my Delirium on just to see how capable the Honzo and I am.
    With this kind of riding under my belt on a 29er I find the dislike and claims that 29ers suck rather funny. Yes, you do have to adapt your style and technique to make a 29er come alive. However, if you're a capable rider and willing to adapt for the fun of riding a bike the new school 9ers ride very well on terrain that would surprise a lot of people.
    You can make a 29er rail corners, pump rollers, pop off of trail features, jump and drop. I'll admit the bigger wheels are a challenge to get sideways in the air but it can be done.
    I guess it just depends on what and how you want to ride as well as how much skill you want to push into making riding a 29er fun.

I'd be stoked if Knolly built an aggressive 29er. But from everything that I've read and heard from Knolly/Noel it would seem that, currently, 29ers aren't on the build menu.
    That's disappointing for the 5 of us that have expressed interest in a Knolly 29er on this forum! Ha!
    Last edited by RideEverything; 10-01-2013 at 07:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If Knolly does build a 29er, it will be a new platform, much like the Warden. There would be a huge hole in their line-up if they went 29r with no 26" trail bike.

Just roll it......
    RideEverything, I've got a similar rig (Trans Am 29'er)...albeit slightly longer chainstays and I love riding that bike as well. With the weather suddenly turning to shite, I'll probably be riding that a lot more now.

Not to steer anyone away from Noel's bikes, but if you're in the market for a similar handling FS bike to the Honzo, maybe you should consider the Kona Process 111? My buddy had a big hand in the design of both the Honzo and Process and those are getting some rave reviews. Just something to consider.

EB

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd be all about a Knolly 120mm 27.5 trail bike. Slack HTA, Warden head tube, 7.875x2.25 shock, Endo style suspension and and lighter weight tubing. Aggressive XC ripper.

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Not to steer anyone away from Noel's bikes, but if you're in the market for a similar handling FS bike to the Honzo, maybe you should consider the Kona Process 111? My buddy had a big hand in the design of both the Honzo and Process and those are getting some rave reviews. Just something to consider.

EB
    I have looked at the Process 111 but two things stand out as a "no" for me - the lack of a granny ring and an 18"/465mm ST length.
    Having a single ring on the Honzo is okay but it has made me realize I really enjoy having super low gears to grind out the steep stuff and the short ST would have me needing to run a 600mm or longer seatpost because I'm so tall!!
    Kona's decision on the seat tube length of the XL Process 111 has me shaking my head because I could have certainly sucked up the suffering of a single ring up front. ebxtreme, you should ask your buddy if he has something against the horizontally challenged segment of the population when he was helping to design the L and XL sizes of the Process 111!

I would definitely love to stay with Knolly because of the great bikes, amongst other things. However, I'm in the market for something that Knolly doesn't make. I would love for Knolly to make a 29er because I know it would be bomb proof stiff! So far it sounds like the Banshee Prime ticks that box for a tall, heavy and aggressively riding giant.

And, 650B doesn't interest me. I don't have any complaints about what a 29er can do or what I want it to do so I don't need a 'tweener wheel sized bike. If I go 650B I'll wait to see what comes out in the DH market before I seriously look at riding that wheel size.

... a 650B Podium, Noel???

Just roll it......
    Yeah, that makes sense. FWIW, Chris is a gangly dude....he's 6' 5" with a 36 inseam, so he definitely fits into the XL category.

I'm pretty sure he feels the benefit of the lower top tube greatly outweighs the fact that you may need more seat post. The potential issue I could see for you and other long-legged folks is if your dropper post doesn't work with the minimum insertion. For instance, my KS Lev has ~13" from the min. insertion to the rails. I rode with him a little while ago and he was using the KS post as well (on the process 153 though).

Similar to the Honzo, he feels that the front derailleur is a big limiter in keeping the 29'er chainstays short and the bike playful. If you look at the difference between the TA 29'er and the Honzo's chainstay length, it is worth noting and that difference lies in the TA's ability to run a front derailleur. So, one of the items that many Honzo owners tout is also why the Process 111 is single chainring only. I think it's just a matter of time before most 29'ers follow suit unless the derailleur has a sudden and dramatic design mod.

EB

Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    ebxtreme, you should ask your buddy if he has something against the horizontally challenged segment of the population when he was helping to design the L and XL sizes of the Process 111!