fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011

Front D question

Today I have spent the day switching over to 2x10 on my Chilli but found out that my XTR front D does not work with SRAM 2x10 grip shift.
    Does any one know which I will need need; a high or low mount 2x10 XO front D?
    Or does it matter?
    Thanks
    Last edited by material guy; 11-23-2012 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't know your answer but I have the build kit front D that you can have free +shipping ;-)

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    I thank you for the offer but I feel that SRAM is very specific about what one I could use.
    I don't want to take it off your hands unless I was sure it is the right one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The build kit D is intended for use with 2 x 10, so should be no problem. Shimano FD's can be used with gripshifts without any problem, I use them myself.

More info here Chilcotin FAQ's

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the replies guys but I am going to stay with SRAM XO 2x10 front D.
    I am just looking for weather I need the high or low mount one.
    I have the 970 E (I think) and with grip shift the shift spacing is wrong for the XO 2x10 crank set that I have installed.
    If the bone heads at SRAM made the front D fine tunable like the 9 spd version I would not be having any problems.They made them better and phuked them up at the same time!
    Last edited by material guy; 11-24-2012 at 05:59 AM.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by material guy View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys but I am going to stay with SRAM XO 2x10 front D.
    I am just looking for weather I need the high or low mount one.
    I have the 970 E (I think) and with grip shift the shift spacing is wrong for the XO 2x10 crank set that I have installed.
    If the bone heads at SRAM made the front D fine tunable like the 9 spd version I would not be having any problems.They made them better and phuked them up at the same time!
    SRAM doesn't make a front D that plays perfectly with direct mount, which is why we recommend a Shimano front D on all Knolly models, no matter what brand the rest of your drivetrain happens to be. This is why everyone on this thread is recommending Shimano.

Tell me the specifics of your front ring combo and cranks, and I will recommend a front D for you.

- Are your cranks 2X specific? Or 3x converted into 2x?
    - What is your ring combo?
    - Will you be using a bashguard in place of a 3rd ring?

Cheers.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Hi Dusty B,
    I am running XO 2x10 cranks with 26 39 gearing 2x specific.
    I have also installed a Blackspire defender for the 120 BCD.
    The grip shift is also 2x specific.
    I have put the 9 speed shifter back on for now till I can get the proper front D.

Thanks for your time on this problem of mine.

Knomer
    Hi Dusty B,
    I am running XO 2x10 cranks with 26 39 gearing 2x specific.
    I have also installed a Blackspire defender for the 120 BCD.
    The grip shift is also 2x specific.
    I have put the 9 speed shifter back on for now till I can get the proper front D.

Thanks for your time on this problem of mine.
    Ok, I'm going to need you to take another pass at this, since some of the information you have provided is contradictory. First, XO level cranks are not 2X specific. SRAM's 2X specific group is XX. Also, there are no cranks/rings within the XO level lineup that accommodate anything 9 speed, so you might want to switch the rest of your drivetrain to 10 speed. Finally, the ability to install an outer bash guard tells me that your cranks are 3X compatible, which isn't a bad thing, I just need the details. 2X specific cranks don't have the outer flange to install an outer(3rd) ring or bash.

Let me know.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Ok, I'm going to need you to take another pass at this, since some of the information you have provided is contradictory. First, XO level cranks are not 2X specific. SRAM's 2X specific group is XX. Also, there are no cranks/rings within the XO level lineup that accommodate anything 9 speed, so you might want to switch the rest of your drivetrain to 10 speed. Finally, the ability to install an outer bash guard tells me that your cranks are 3X compatible, which isn't a bad thing, I just need the details. 2X specific cranks don't have the outer flange to install an outer(3rd) ring or bash.

Let me know.
    Hi Dusty,

The XO cranks that I have are 2x10.
    Blackspire now makes a bash guard that has special hard wear to go onto 2x10. They call it the defender......Look up -What do you do when bored- on this forum, it has a pic of my cranks.
    The 9 speed front gripshift has no specific indents like trigger shifters and can be used to accommodate any front D.
    The rear is full 10 speed.
    I checked and the front D is the XTR 970.

Hope that this info can help in your quest to help out a fat & decrepit old guy.

Thanks again for you time

mtbr member

You both are right

XO cranks can be fitted with a 2X specific spider/ring combo, a traditional 3X spider/ring combo, a SRAM 2X specific combo with a bash ring in 24/36 or 24/38, and now Blackspire has the bashring that will fit on the 2X combos in 26/39 and 28/42. What he is running is 2X specific. You should be able to fine tune the throw of the the front derailleur by tuning the hi & low stops? All the front derailleur does is guide the chain up or down, how much it moves the chain is completely governed by how much cable the shifter moves when you pull or release it.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Yes the stops limit how much the cable is pulled but if the shifter can not pull enough cable the the chain will not travel up to the large chain ring if every thing has been adjusted properly.

Knomer
    Yes the stops limit how much the cable is pulled but if the shifter can not pull enough cable the the chain will not travel up to the large chain ring if every thing has been adjusted properly.
    OK, it was important to establish if you had 2x specific, or 3x modified to 2x, because the ring spacing(in relation to the bb shell) is different between the 2 setups, which is probably why you are having throw issues. Shimano offers derailleurs that are spaced specifically for each setup, so the static position of the cage is slightly different to accommodate each setup's unique ring spacing. Here is what you need:

Shimano XTR

Part # IFDM985E6
    Description: FD-M985 Front Derailleur (double) / E-type / Top-Swing

Don't let the 'e-type' designation fool you, you remove the bb mount and bolt the derailleur straight to the frame. Please use the bolts that are included with the frame for this task, not the bolts that are included with the derailleur.

fat & decripit old guy
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    OK, it was important to establish if you had 2x specific, or 3x modified to 2x, because the ring spacing(in relation to the bb shell) is different between the 2 setups, which is probably why you are having throw issues. Shimano offers derailleurs that are spaced specifically for each setup, so the static position of the cage is slightly different to accommodate each setup's unique ring spacing. Here is what you need:

Shimano XTR

Part # IFDM985E6
    Description: FD-M985 Front Derailleur (double) / E-type / Top-Swing

Don't let the 'e-type' designation fool you, you remove the bb mount and bolt the derailleur straight to the frame. Please use the bolts that are included with the frame for this task, not the bolts that are included with the derailleur.
    I very much appreciate that you take the time to help out people like myself.
    Just shows how a company should be servicing the minions that enjoy your bikes.
    Customer service at its finest!!

Thanks again