si vis pacem...

Freehub Chilcotin Review

It's rare that an "official" publication actually does a full test on a Knolly, so this was kind of cool to see. For those of you thinking about buying a Chilcotin, every word is true. For those of us already in the know, nothing here is exactly earth-shattering news. It's just kind of nice to read a supposedly objective take on it, and to know that we aren't just a bunch of homers. Well, maybe we are....but so what.

Enjoy.

Knolly Chilcotin Dream Build Review | Freehub Magazine

mtbr member
    4 mm of shock movement on fire-road climbs whether seated or standing? Really? I find that hard to believe if the shock is set up plush enough to be fun.

mtbr member
    I agree. Not sure about every word being true (it's a bit too glowing to be totally believable), but I agree.

Especially the part about how stable it is while blasting rock gardens, and the bit about how the low-slung, long wheel based frame rails bermed, swoopy corners, and how it begs you to attempt moves you didn't think possible, and the part about how it claws its way up nasty loose climbs.

Ok, I guess it is all true except that part about the shock only moving 4 mm on smooth climbs whether seated or standing. That may be gilding the lilly a bit. It might move 6-7 mm when standing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    A glowing review? Expect a frivolous lawsuit from _dw to follow!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Whaaa who do I believe the vitalmtb review or this one?

Guess ill just take my Chilcotin to Galbrith today & find out or maybe start assembling parts for my 2nd Chil build....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    4 mm of shock movement on fire-road climbs whether seated or standing? Really? I find that hard to believe if the shock is set up plush enough to be fun.
    Compared to the VPP bike it replaced, the Chili bobs a bit more when seated and a lot less when standing. I have't measured the shock movement and probably won't so I can't verify the actual claim. It can be set up plush without a lot pedal induced movement.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
    Whaaa who do I believe the vitalmtb review or this one?
    Ha, ha. Exactly. All depends on what trails you ride, right? If JEM is your trail of choice (vitalmtb) then the Chilcotin is not the best tool. If Galbrith, or South Mountain, or Fromme are where you ride,,, then this review is spot on.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I got all excited to see a Knolly test on the cover of Bike that arrived today. All in all a pretty positive but bland review. Seems weird to mention right out of the gate that it rode harsh only to explain that he needed to adjust the shock. Should you dial all that in prior to writing up the actual review? The part that really struck me as odd was the suggestion that the bike really would benefit from a travel adjust fork. I don't get it, I swore by my UTurn on my old Endorphin but never used it on the Chicotin and swapped the internals to a fixed 170mm on it now. It climbs great even at 170mm whether it be long mellow climbs or super techy steeps. I wouldn't ever drop it to 130/140 even if I had the option.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I got all excited to see a Knolly test on the cover of Bike that arrived today. All in all a pretty positive but bland review. Seems weird to mention right out of the gate that it rode harsh only to explain that he needed to adjust the shock. Should you dial all that in prior to writing up the actual review? The part that really struck me as odd was the suggestion that the bike really would benefit from a travel adjust fork. I don't get it, I swore by my UTurn on my old Endorphin but never used it on the Chicotin and swapped the internals to a fixed 170mm on it now. It climbs great even at 170mm whether it be long mellow climbs or super techy steeps. I wouldn't ever drop it to 130/140 even if I had the option.
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised and excited to a Chili reviewed in Bike, then disappointed to see that it was so uninformative and bland. Just seemed like space filler really. Kinda weird that you'd focus on the initially firm ride that properly adjusting the shock cured with so few total words dedicated to the review. Maybe a testament to the importance (and more complicated nature) of setting up the CCDB air properly. Maybe a simple statement to that effect would've been better.

And adjustable travel fork? Really? You've got 500 words to dedicate to an awesome bike and you focus on something totally superfluous?

Like you said, generally a very positive review, but so little informative content. I'm losing my faith in Bike.

Good to see Knolly getting some attention in the mainstream press though.

Just roll it......
    I'm with you Catch22. I've got a Talas 36 and I never adjust the travel with my Chilcotin. In fact, I don't even like riding the bike when the travel is down. Worth noting is I have a zero stack headset and 1 1/8" steerer tube, so my front end is already a bit lower than most folks Chili's.

I ride with the Freehub folks quite a bit and Brandon has been slaying it on that bike. We've got a trail we built a few years ago that is still under snow and we're both chompin' at the bit to ride the bike on that trail....it's technically a DH trail with a couple of steep rocky sections, but it has a bunch of mellower pedaling sections and I think the chili's gonna slay that trail.

EB

mtbr member
    I dropped my talas altogether and do not miss the travel adjust at all.

si vis pacem...
    Interesting. I have a TALAS on the Trek Remedy that I replaced with a Chili this year, and I went with the Float 36 on the Chili as I was told it really doesn't need the TALAS. Went to Moab and rode for three days, didn't miss the TALAS at all. Came back home and my first ride on my local trails (steep gravelly climbs) I was wishing for the TALAS again. Could be that my legs were still in early season form and I wasn't pushing a tall enough gear, but trying to spin up some of the punchy sections that front end really wanted to wander around and I would have loved to be able to drop it a couple inches.

ಠ_ಠ
    Well, maybe BIKE didn't do a great job on the article, but this video rocks pretty hard!

Video: Sunshine Coast - Welcome the Trail Wizard

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    I dropped my talas altogether and do not miss the travel adjust at all.
    Agreed completely. I prefer the simplicity of a fixed fork, and find the Chili climbs excellently in the steep mode. We have some pretty steep and techy climbs, but not much in the way of fireroad climbs, not that I think it matters.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr View Post
    Well, maybe BIKE didn't do a great job on the article, but this video rocks pretty hard!

Video: Sunshine Coast - Welcome the Trail Wizard
    The reviews in this months issue are pretty weak. It seems like they are just filling space. Neither the Chili or Burner reviews were really informative, almost read like marketing copy. However, now that I read the FELT review I'm getting one
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight