mtbr member

Four x 4 crud protection

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I don't really like how the trail detritus ends up on top of my front derailleur/main pivot of my endo. I've been searching for some way to mount a little mud flap or guard around there, but haven't had much luck. I've thought of trying to mount something but with the rear pivot design it seems impossible as they both move different amounts through the travel. Has anyone found something that would keep the crud out?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have never looked for anything to protect the area so can't help you there, but living in Vancouver with the wet winters and lots of debris in there all winter long, I have never had a problem with derailleur or pivots. This is on 5 Knollys over nine years, and still have four of them.

mtbr member
    You could try a bender fender:
    Bender Fender

I tried the XL, and it didn't work on the rear. Works great on the fork though. I think a regular would work on the back, but I'd have to cut one of my XLs or order another regular to find out.

You could also make your own version of these out of cheap 3 ring binders.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    Hrm, now there is an idea. I like the look of the XL as well, but you say it doesn't work? Praytell.

mtbr member
    When the XL is set flush against the seat stay bridge, due to the angle of the dangle, er I mean the angle of the side attachments on the XL...it forces the fender down onto the tire. Due to the length of the fender, and the fact that the fender arms are not at a 90 degree angle, the fender will scrape the tire.

If you had the regular, it is 1/2 the length, and would probably work fine.

I don't blame you if it's hard to visualize. It was hard to visualize when I was staring at it.

mtbr member
    Ah, I'm with you now. So the attachment points don't allow for a perpendicular attachment to the yoke. Interesting. I assume its not something you could remedy with some scissors?

mtbr member
    Exactly! Nope, scissors won't help, unless you intend to cut it in half, and make it a regular. Even then, the regular won't sit perpendicular to the wheel, it will be angled.

It makes sense when you look at a fork, which is what they are designed for. The crown is offset from the lowers, so the fender arms must be angled slightly to reach back and zip tie to the lowers.

I have thought about using my XLs as a template, and cutting my own out of a binder, with 90 degree arms, but it's way down on my list of things to do since it's summertime, and mud is the last thing on my mind.

mtbr member
    I use it on the front because I wear contacts, and don't care for goggles. Keeps everything off my face except bugs.

mtbr member
    Yea, it does make sense since it's meant to be attached to a fork crown. I think I'm going to give this a try! Thanks Mr. B

mtbr member
    No prob. Worse case...if it doesn't work, you've got a great fender for your fork.

mtbr member
    I just remembered something. Scissors, or better yet, a hole punch, might work. You can create a new set of holes in the fender that line up perpendicularly with the arms, for the zip ties or velcro straps. Should be easy to do, but I haven't tried it.

A new set of holes, in line with the word "Mucky" below, should work.

Name:  Bender Fender (XL) - all-250x250.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  12.4 KB

mtbr member
    maybe go old skool & zip tie a cut tube similar to the front many do between the crown & arch...

mtbr member
    I would take a thin piece of cardboard and make a template with it and then buy a crazy carpet for ten bucks and have enough prototype material for a life time from making the guard to the spec you want. The stuff is easy to cut and punch holes in. Just got to find the right color.

mtbr member
    Just a quick follow up...I finally got the test the Bender Fender from Mucky Nutz in a real life situation yesterday. It monsooned on the PNW for a couple hours, and turned my evening ride into a muck-fest with puddles everywhere. One of those rides where you feel like you just jumped in a lake.

I was getting no front tire muck thrown in my face at all. It was awesome. I wear contacts, and I was able to keep my eye open and dirt free for hours.

I'm probably going to try spiky_korean's mod on the rear, in preparation for a wet, soppy fall and winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    look up mudguardz from rockguardz. these will keep you clean and dry,
    Rockguardz - Real Carbon Fibre MTB Rock Protectors

mtbr member
    Only for Fox forks and $70 before shipping.

mtbr member
    Yea, a little too pricey methinks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Only for Fox forks and $70 before shipping.
    they are universal, fit most forks... i have them on a bos ndee and bos deville fork, col has them on his boxxer. totem. lyric
    they maybe a bit expensive, but they are carbon fibre and handmade in the uk, really easy to fit and remove, with 4 zipties, and they stay in place dont move or flap arround. one of them up front and a crud guard on the rear will keep you dry. thats what we use through our crappy winter months, and on our last wet whistler trip.

i have to admit, i did like the idea of the rear guard the other guy did with zipties, it would be great if ian would make a mudguardz for the rear as well.

we did get lots of intrest about the front guards when we were in whistler in june. im sure if you got a group buy going ian would sort you out some kind of deal.

mtbr member
    OK, got my muckynut guard, and thanks to big B I managed to get the right size.

I had to do a fair bit of modification to it. I added 2x sets of slots to anchor it, I'm not entirely convinced its adequate but I'm going to leave it for the moment. I also had to trim some off of the drive side to accommodate my derailleur and chain path. Because I am anal, I also trimmed off the lower part that protruded under the rear triangle. I am quite positive this wasn't necessary, but it made me feel better. Anyways, here are the pics:

Four x 4 crud protection-non_drive_side.jpg

Highlighted in red (kinda) is my modifications on the drive side.
    Four x 4 crud protection-drive_side_closeup.jpg

Four x 4 crud protection-non_drive_closeup.jpg

Four x 4 crud protection-full_side.jpg

First ride will be tomorrow, we'll see if it catches or anything crazy. Its not particularly muddy out right now so I won't know how good it is against the muck.

mtbr member
    Nice job! Let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    So here is how it goes:

Four x 4 crud protection-imag0121%5B1%5D.jpg Four x 4 crud protection-imag0122%5B1%5D.jpg

Four x 4 crud protection-imag0123%5B1%5D.jpg

As you can see, the mudguard isn't tall enough to shield the BB/pivot area from the muck. I think its back to the drawing board for this guy

sapienti sat est

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    So here is how it goes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0121[1].jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	858208 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0122[1].jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	858207

As you can see, the mudguard isn't tall enough to shield the BB/pivot area from the muck. I think its back to the drawing board for this guy
    Try mounting the mudguard higher like so:

As for the front mudguard you can use my friend's project and do it yourself.
    Here's the link:
    DIY: MudGuard Project

mtbr member
    I'd love to see some mud shots, I'm not convinced that would protect the bottom pivot (though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong).

sapienti sat est

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    I'd love to see some mud shots
    That'll be the day...
    If you would know me, you would know that I almost never ride in mud, rain or snow on my Knolly.
    Homey don't play that