mtbr member

which fork for the podium??

ive got 2014 boxxer r2c2 coils...but not that impressed as they seem to have too much play in the initial part of the stroke (dead travel) and don't get full travel very easy...anyone tried other forks they'd recommend? im thinkin about replacing them with dvo, marz 380 or bos idylle rare...atm swerving towards the marz as I can get 20% off the price
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I highly recommend a Dorado. This is my second season on it and works incredible with the podium. It's very plush and eliminates small bumps like no other . I've owned 40s and Boxxers and won't be going back anytime soon.

Delirious Tuck
    Have a dorado as well. Very happy. Light, stiff, works amazingly well vs. boxxer / fox 40.

Second season on it. Goes to tuned each off-season.

DVO Emerald looks beautiful, saw one last weekend at Mt. Creek.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Also I think for the price of a dorado expert it can't be beat. Also had a friend who went from dorado to DVO back to dorado because the dorado was better in his mind . You don't get hardly any arm pump from the rado and it tracks so much better

mtbr member
    unfortunately no support for Manitou in the UK, can get the forks through chain reaction but parts have to be imported which is a pain if your in a hurry.

theres an upgraded 2015 Marz 380 C2R2 fork being released at Eurobike / in shops Sept, looks the business:

SOC14: 2015 Marzocchi Early Looks – 650B Carbon Forks, Espresso Coatings, Enduro Shocks & More!

probably a toss up between 2015 380 (due to price/performance) and DVO (due to support)
    Last edited by cfrench; 06-18-2014 at 06:11 AM.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's hard to beat a 888.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    unfortunately no support for Manitou in the UK, can get the forks through chain reaction but parts have to be imported which is a pain if your in a hurry.

theres an upgraded 2015 Marz 380 C2R2 fork being released at Eurobike / in shops Sept, looks the business:

SOC14: 2015 Marzocchi Early Looks – 650B Carbon Forks, Espresso Coatings, Enduro Shocks & More!

probably a toss up between 2015 380 (due to price/performance) and DVO (due to support)
    I am running these forks, and all I can saw is WOW!
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride View Post
    I am running these forks, and all I can saw is WOW!
    KS, did you ride the 2014 c2r2, is there much difference?
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    was also told to try x-fusions...
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not tried the RV1, but I do highly rate X-fusion products. The only change really I can tell between the 380 models wasn't in performance really, just in adjustibility. So it depends how much you like to adjust settings, and if you like unusual settings then go for the high and low speed C and R options.
    Banshee Bikes Designer
    www.bansheebikes.com
    Banshee Blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How about an Avalanche cartridge? Sounds like you are unhappy with the damper and not the chassis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBMarkWa View Post
    How about an Avalanche cartridge? Sounds like you are unhappy with the damper and not the chassis.
    last time I spoke to Craig he said it was is best selling cart (the boxxer one). it is an option.

but this is an opportunity to shave a pound off...
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    I struggled with this for the longest time trying to get a front fork on a DH bike that worked for me and my riding style. I think part of this is the relative lower number of DH rides that I participate in over the course of a year. There is also something to be said about matching the fork to the rear shock and bike characteristics. Putting all of this together takes time and experience, and unfortunately this information is not readily out there. Since forks cost so much and the trails to properly test them are not as easy as a trail bike, people are not testing multiple forks. In addition, the number of AM/Trail bikes versus DH bikes provides way more input for making an educated decision.

When I had the Podium, the best combination was an AVY shock and Marz fork. The problem at the time was that the Marz fork required tuning, external knobs only did so much. I did get a professional tune on the fork and it was tons better, but it still wasn't perfect. To get a professional tune, requires shipping, waiting, and hoping. I don't like when this is out of my control.

I switched to the Fox 40 Float, owing to the number of knobs for tuning, ability to dial the air pressure in, lighter weight, and I am Fox 36 fan. I also always felt in-between spring sizes. Now the Fox is more damped than the Marz. Marz is butter, uber smooth, and poppy.

I had trouble with the Fox 40 at first. Initially I set-up to be progressive (similar to the Marz), reducing the air pressure, but the fork lost some of it pop. Later I changed it to a more linear set-up with the spacers, this required more air pressure, rode higher and had much better pop and control. Now the Fox 40 feels great and recommend it.

With that said, I am not sure that the AVY (at least the tune I had on it) matched the Fox 40 as well as the Marz. I think the Fox 40 matches - a Fox shock or Cane Creek. I think the Fox shock is more difficult to tune owing to the boost valve chamber size and air pressure.

I personally think you should seek out a professional tuner, explain your bike, your needs, and what you are looking for. This is just me. I spend a lot of money each year riding the good stuff in Canada for 2 weeks and I want to ensure that time is optimized so that I am on the best set-up. Even though it is just 2 weeks, we wait all year to do this!

Good luck, when you get it right, everything comes together on the trail.

mtbr member
    Get the Marz 380. Then give us a full ride report and frequent updates. See how easy it is to spend other people's money!

mtbr member
    I'm pretty happy with my 888 Evo Ti now that I put a firm spring in it.

In hindsight though I wish I'd gotten the cheap 888 CR and put an Avy cart in it.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I struggled with this for the longest time trying to get a front fork on a DH bike that worked for me and my riding style. I think part of this is the relative lower number of DH rides that I participate in over the course of a year. There is also something to be said about matching the fork to the rear shock and bike characteristics. Putting all of this together takes time and experience, and unfortunately this information is not readily out there. Since forks cost so much and the trails to properly test them are not as easy as a trail bike, people are not testing multiple forks. In addition, the number of AM/Trail bikes versus DH bikes provides way more input for making an educated decision.

When I had the Podium, the best combination was an AVY shock and Marz fork. The problem at the time was that the Marz fork required tuning, external knobs only did so much. I did get a professional tune on the fork and it was tons better, but it still wasn't perfect. To get a professional tune, requires shipping, waiting, and hoping. I don't like when this is out of my control.

I switched to the Fox 40 Float, owing to the number of knobs for tuning, ability to dial the air pressure in, lighter weight, and I am Fox 36 fan. I also always felt in-between spring sizes. Now the Fox is more damped than the Marz. Marz is butter, uber smooth, and poppy.

I had trouble with the Fox 40 at first. Initially I set-up to be progressive (similar to the Marz), reducing the air pressure, but the fork lost some of it pop. Later I changed it to a more linear set-up with the spacers, this required more air pressure, rode higher and had much better pop and control. Now the Fox 40 feels great and recommend it.

With that said, I am not sure that the AVY (at least the tune I had on it) matched the Fox 40 as well as the Marz. I think the Fox 40 matches - a Fox shock or Cane Creek. I think the Fox shock is more difficult to tune owing to the boost valve chamber size and air pressure.

I personally think you should seek out a professional tuner, explain your bike, your needs, and what you are looking for. This is just me. I spend a lot of money each year riding the good stuff in Canada for 2 weeks and I want to ensure that time is optimized so that I am on the best set-up. Even though it is just 2 weeks, we wait all year to do this!

Good luck, when you get it right, everything comes together on the trail.
    Thanks for this. very helpful. i sent the ccdb and fork into tftuned, could never get the rear damping right and the boxxer is straight **** out the box. got full service and custom tuning on both. just built the bike back up and off out to test it. fork is smoother than it was new and play in initial stroke is gone (part the problem was the isolation cover on the spring and part oil mix off). put new bars on after re-build, nukeproof warheads, so nice! makes the cockpit feel different in a very familar/good way. Love this wee bike

which fork for the podium??-img_2551.jpg
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    How do those shimano brakes work on DH bike? I am building a DH bike and bought XT brakes instead of Saints.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    How do those shimano brakes work on DH bike? I am building a DH bike and bought XT brakes instead of Saints.
    I've got a set on mine as well, with 203 rotors. Seem to do fine for me last year at Whistler.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    running xt's day in day out on all three knollys, 203 ice techs on podium, 180s on endo and chili. they are extremely reliable. I change the oil and bleed them twice a year. stock pads are excellent. enough adjustment on the levers to get them feeling how you want. never fade on long runs. and got them at half the price of hopes. they're typical shimano, reliable and good value for money.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.