mtbr member
    Dec 2008

fork length for Warden

Are most people running 160 mm travel forks on their Wardens? I have a 350 ncr set to 160 mm and the front end feels just a bit high on steep climbs. (but great on the downhills) I will probably drop the fork to 150 mm to see how it feels.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I'm not sure what the axle to crown is on the Marzocchi but my 160mm Pike feels just right.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    170mm MRP Stage here (1mm higher a2c than Pike at 160) and slack setting. I started with it at 160mm and steep setting and actually had more trouble on steep tech climbs with it set there. Eventually I went to slack and actually like the way it climbs ledges there. Shortly after I bumped it up to 170 and for me it climbs everything well, even techy steep stuff. Are you running a lot of spacers under your stem or a higher rise bar? While you can't play with fork travel on trail, it's worth re-riding sections that don't feel quite right with a swap between steep and slack and also maybe moving 5 or 10mm of spacers from under to over the stem. Both only take a couple minutes and might drop your bar height to the point where you won't feel the need to give up travel on the front end.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That's great advice and in fact just before I read your post, I did remove some spacers and slam my stem as low as possible. Went for a ride this morning and it seems to have helped. Climbs just fine now and I don't think I need to reduce the travel. One thing I did notice was that by hands were numb by the end of the ride, which hasn't happened before. Don't know if lowering the stem by 10 mm is the cause.