mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Fitst roadtrip in BC...

If this post is out of its place please let med know and guide me to the correct place. Two of us ride Podiums and therefor have lurked this forum for a long time, we like the tone and the kindness of there users there, therefore I have chosen to post here

Dear BC locals and other kind people of the Knolly forum.

After touring Europe for 4 years 2 friends and I have decided to cross the pond and finally see what all the BC fuss is about. One with a few visits to BC and two BC virgins. Endless work hours have been spend searching info on trails, bikeshops, accommodations guides tips&tricks, but nothing compares to hands on experience, and this is what I hope to find here. This is the master plan so far, it's a bit of a read I know, but any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

June 28-29th – Arrival at Vancouver Airport, get our stuff loaded into the rental car ( GMC Yukon, Suburban or something like that )and get supplies. If the weather is good we will ride the north shore, CBC and other trails otherwise we will go to the next step.

June 30th – Drive from Vancouver to Silverstar Bikepark, ( 500km ie. 5:30min ) maybe ride Vedder Mt?

July 1-2nd – Silverstar Bikepark

July 3 – Drive to Kamloops ( 200m km ie. 2:30min ) Ride The Ranch Rio and other stuff we can find. Find Full Boar Bikeshop & bicycle café and maybe Bonston Pizza.

July 4th – Drive to Sunpeaks Bikepark.

July 5th – Sunpeaks Bikepark

July 6th – Drive towards Willams Lake (300km 3:30min) Ride Fox Mountains, Dog Bone, Itchy Scratchy, Hangover. Get some sleep and eat breakfast at The Gecko Tree Café, check out Red Shreds Bikeshop.

July 7th – Desous Mountain, Ride God Speed, Prime & Endless.

July 8th – Westsyde Mountain, Ride Snakes & Ladders, Westside

July 9th – Drive to whistler ( 400km 5h:00min )
    We might detour at Clinton driver over pass and exit at Pavillion.
    Find accomadations at Whistler, meet up with our Danish friends and relax.

July 10 – 16th. Whistler Bikepark
    Options:
    Helidrop on rainbow mountains
    Pemberton
    Creampuff PhD.
    Gargamel Trail
    Squamish

July 17th – return the car in Vancouver and plan how to save money to return next year

A humble thank you from Denmark

//Kim

si vis pacem...
    That sounds like an epic trip! You guys are going to have a great time.

Just a couple notes/suggestions:

The North Shore is awesome, but there are so many trails you'll have to do some planning to get the most out of your 2 days. CBC is a must-do if you've never been to the shore before, and you should try to check out some of the classics like Ned's and Boogieman. I hope you like skinnies and ladders. The Shore actually has 3 mountains, and if you're riding Podiums or other DH bikes you'll probably want to stick to Seymour and/or Cypress because they can be shuttled. I'd recommend starting with Seymour - Cypess is pretty gnarly. Fromme has (IMO) the best trails on the shore but it can't be shuttled so with those bikes you'll be pushing up. Do yourself a favour and pick up Wade Simmons & Sharon Bader's book "The Locals Guide to North Shore Rides". It's well worth the 25 bucks and will make a cool souvenir to boot.

The whole Kamloops area is amazing. The Bike Ranch is fun and easy to get to. Rio is one of the best trails I've ever ridden, anywhere. If you want to try something a little off the beaten path, head 20 min west to Savona. There are lots of trails out there to be "discovered", but the most popular is "The Bone Collector". It's fun, fast, and a little raw, but worth checking out. Hit up the Bicycle Cafe, buy some T-shirts & stickers and if you talk real nice to them they'll probably hook you up with some directions.

Whistler is amazing, but it will ruin bike parks for you forever. The place is like mountain bike Disneyland - once you've ridden there, nothing else really compares. Squamish has an amazing trail network, and you may want to allow more than one day to check it out.

Have fun guys, and safe travels.... I'm jealous!

Biking Like Crazy!
    Nice trip you guys have planned karreklud. For a great place to stay at Whistler check out this link.
    You could base out of there for your Whistler options time frame.

Whistler accommodations available (to good people)...
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    My advice is ride the Top of the World trail at Whistler. It will change your view on Mtn biking forever....

Regardless sounds like a trip of a lifetime - enjoy & you'll be back ;-)

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    North Van leg is OK. Depending on how good you are maybe start with easier trails as unfortunately you're starting with technically the hardest trails first. I'm the husband of the guidebook author sharon and i rode with some guys from Copenhagen who were capable so I'm not trying to insult you - just no idea how capable you all are.

Vedder is worth it but you might have time for just one lap if you're driving to SS. Don't do it though if its raining as the trails there can turn to death clay

SS is awesome. Personally I would start your trip with SS as its the best way to ease into riding in BC

Kamloops also amazing. SP is great. It's more steep and technical than SS - where SS is about groomed berms and super smooth hits.

You have great taste going to Williams Lake which is also awesome. Merritt is also great riding. So is Della Creek in Lillooett.

You need to update your whistler selections. Gargamel in particular is full of broken stunts. Rainbow helidrop is very quickly over and imo overrated - better to do Top of The World instead to get the alpine experience. Get Brian Finestone's guidebook

You're going to ride those bikes around Pemberton or plan on hiking up? Ditto with Vedder. Reason I ask is that the trails there are either brutal shuttles unless you have offroad vehicles or rental vehicles you don't mind destroying or good size pedal ups. Best to find locals with which to shuttle or hire shuttle services if there are any which will save you lots of time/.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    One more thing, Boston Pizza is not worth the trip... Think bland Italian food.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would stop in in North Van to ride Upper Oilcan, Ladies Only, and Lower Ladies. If you guys are really on your game, 5th Horseman on Cypress. Might as well ride some OG 'shore' while here too. Top of the World at Whistler is worth doing as a visitor for sure - it's like heli riding without the helicopter.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: Fitst roadtrip in BC...

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    North Van leg is OK. Depending on how good you are maybe start with easier trails as unfortunately you're starting with technically the hardest trails first. I'm the husband of the guidebook author sharon and i rode with some guys from Copenhagen who were capable so I'm not trying to insult you - just no idea how capable you all are.

Vedder is worth it but you might have time for just one lap if you're driving to SS. Don't do it though if its raining as the trails there can turn to death clay

SS is awesome. Personally I would start your trip with SS as its the best way to ease into riding in BC

Kamloops also amazing. SP is great. It's more steep and technical than SS - where SS is about groomed berms and super smooth hits.

You have great taste going to Williams Lake which is also awesome. Merritt is also great riding. So is Della Creek in Lillooett.

You need to update your whistler selections. Gargamel in particular is full of broken stunts. Rainbow helidrop is very quickly over and imo overrated - better to do Top of The World instead to get the alpine experience. Get Brian Finestone's guidebook

You're going to ride those bikes around Pemberton or plan on hiking up? Ditto with Vedder. Reason I ask is that the trails there are either brutal shuttles unless you have offroad vehicles or rental vehicles you don't mind destroying or good size pedal ups. Best to find locals with which to shuttle or hire shuttle services if there are any which will save you lots of time/.
    Lee's knowledge is second to non, so I'm not going to disagree with anything he has suggested but think it's worthwhile re-emphasizing some of the areas/trails will require shuttling so you will have to do odd man out shuttles or find/pay a friendly local....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: Fitst roadtrip in BC...

Quote Originally Posted by BryanS. View Post
    One more thing, Boston Pizza is not worth the trip... Think bland Italian food.
    I'm not a fussy eater and rarely turn down food but I had a terrible meal in Boston Pizza and have vowed never to eat there again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi again, sorry for the slow reply I have my exams in 9 days so I'm pretty stressed out

Thank you for all your replies, just as expected, you guys are amazing We/I can't thank you enough, if anyone wants go for a ride or food / beer I will be happy to buy a round. ( It won't be Boston Pizza, I promis )

Once my first exam is over we will sit down and write an updated version of the master plan, taking all the good advice into our considerations.

Sorry for not replying to you all of you individually , I simply just don't have the time right now.

Thanks again, Karreklud

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Keep in mind that the 29-1 is a long weekend (Canada Day Holiday), the bike parks will be packed. Lift lines at Silverstar will be super long.

You may want to plan to do your non bike park days then, as SS will be a ghost town on the 2nd.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Fitst roadtrip in BC...-p4pb9868039.jpgHello again, finally got the time to sid down and reply. Thank you all for the great replys they sure came in handy

The trip: when we landed in Vancouver one of our bikes was missing so we decided to get the car and head up to spend the waiting time on the north shore. We bought the locals guide to north shore rides and a new helmet for me ( Can't get XXL D3 in Eu ) at Cove Bikes and drove for Mount Seymour. When we go there we assembeld our bikes and before we where ready I think we must have spoken to 20 people or so. We where blown away by the kindness and helpfull people at the dropoff. Because the bikes came in bike boxes most thought they where brand new bikes and just came by to have a look We hit CBC -> Pingu -> Pangor and was amazed by the pure amount of work put into the tails. CBC was a little hard to keep flow on riding my long Podium with DC forks with the tight turns and berms. The rest was fine and pure fun
    We got the last bike and drove to Williams Lake to escape the bikeparks during long weekend. Next day we did Itchy & Sketcy and some other trails finishing the day with some good fast rides on Snakes & ladders. That trail just brought big smiles all over, flow fast and fun. We got pissed at the hotel bar and the bartender talked us to going to the Stampeed and it ended up getting really late. Had I only know how much of a challenge the bottom part of "Godspeed" was, im not sure I would have had any beers. We did "Godspeed" and "Prime & Endless" the next day in 35 degree heat hung over and totally wasted. I barly made it down just to have a heatstroke at the parkinglot waiting for our pickup That was a hard day.
    Next stop Sun Peaks (Kamloops), we all liked it and it was nice to have more the 2-4 runs a day. No line, cloud free, pure joy After some asking arund we found the Rio escondido and had a blast riding it. The bike ranch was a bit windy so the to other guys had three rund and had enough of beeing blown off the landing and caseing the jumps due to head wind.
    Silverstar next. Super tacky, super smooth. The smoothes bikepark I have been to so far, the other to hit "walk the line" and at step up called "the mother" endlessly. We all have our bikes serviced at SkyRide and found the shop guys to be super cool. We came as customers and left as frieds. Great service!
    Afther that we went back to Vancouver and rode the shore for a day. CBC Pingu pangor again and Boggieman. Boggieman has a scary double that took some speed to clear. Anders was the only one to clear it and only because he had no idea wat he was getting into hehe :P
    The last 10 days we spend in whistler with some friends from Denmark and we had a blast. When you learn/get used the extreme amount of breakbumps the park is awesome. We had a blast riding all day, eating good food and getting pissed untill you collaps The bikes preformed really good, we had some issues with alloy nippels and aerolight spokes needing a lot of looking after when being used in bikeparks. Lesson learned. The only problem with the knollys was Mikes Podium rear frame breakin on the wery last run of our trip on A-Line. The chianstay broke at the front weld. I will UL a pic of it later.
    Hope you like the resume, some of the pics from the trip ill post here, the rest on PB. We have 300GB of GoPro footage, and I'll try and make a move of some sort of it.
    Thank again to everyone
    Full album:
    BC-Roadtrip Photo Album - Pinkbike
    Fitst roadtrip in BC...-p4pb9868044.jpg
    Fitst roadtrip in BC...-p4pb9868041.jpgFitst roadtrip in BC...-p4pb9867998.jpgFitst roadtrip in BC...-p4pb9867985.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fitst roadtrip in BC...-p4pb9867975.jpg  

Fitst roadtrip in BC...-p4pb9867981.jpg  

Fitst roadtrip in BC...-p4pb9868040.jpg  

mtbr member
    An epic trip! Sounds awesome.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

MC MasterShake
    Thanks for the ride report. Looks like you guys had a blast. My trip out last year ended poorly/early and this is huge motivation to get my arse back out there.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Man I need to get out west. I guess if you're going to break a bike its best to do it on the last run of the trip. Hope you get the frame situation resolved, that's some crazy ****.

mtbr member
    If you break your bike, isn't it always the last run of your trip? That is, unless you rent, purchase or weld. Just sayin'

Nice pics and great ride report. Sorry to hear about your Podium, especially since I just bought one. Granted, you ride harder than I do. Show us pics of the break and let us know how it gets resolved.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm glad you liked the writeup

Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    If you break your bike, isn't it always the last run of your trip? That is, unless you rent, purchase or weld. Just sayin'

Nice pics and great ride report. Sorry to hear about your Podium, especially since I just bought one. Granted, you ride harder than I do. Show us pics of the break and let us know how it gets resolved.
    Yes I guess, but I guess Mike just got lucky. We had planned to hit Crabapple Hits as the last run, but he felt the rear was all out of place so I guess it was the second last run?

As Mike havent contacted Knolly yet, bescuse of work and other things, so I feel a little unsure if I wan't to post pics. Maybe it's stupid, but just so they know and have a heads up. I beleve you have nothing to fear buying a Podium, I have an 11' with an RC4 and 40ies and I absolutely love it.
    I will post pics and let you know how everything was handled when I know more.