Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

First Look at Knolly w a few questions

i have been looking for a new bike lately. I am on a Morewood Shova St. i was looking for something with a little more travel. I just happened across a few threads about the Chilcontin and it looks very interesting. I would generaly would ride this bike xc/allmtn (whatever that is), but the terrain that i ride is very rough east coast with fast rough downhills, but nothing huge like out west. i guess my question is would this be too much of a bike for what i am riding? Now granted, Windrock downhill trails (youtube has a few vids of the place) is about 15min away from my house, but at this point my Morewood is just not enough to get around up there.

Just testing the waters, thanks for any input or advice.

Btw, all kitted up im about 250lbs How does this bike handle big guys suspension wise. does it blow thru travel or is it hard to tune shox to ride correct?
    Last edited by mrgto; 03-10-2013 at 09:11 AM.

RideDirt
    It will handle it without a doubt...

Biking Like Crazy!
    mrgto, if you used a coil rear shock on the Chilcotin then it will rule for you. I don't think any air shock works well for big guys.
    The 4x4 suspension works well with either air or coil and the frame is very stiff and well built.
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    I am not worried about the frame not being burly enough for my weight, I just wondered if the anybody heavy had any luck running air shocks. I want to try and keep the weight down. I have had good luck with the manitou ISX 6 air shock on my Shova so just curious.

mtbr member
    Have you read this thread:

Chilcotin compared to Enduro
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up Calhoun! i didnt think that thread would be of any use, but further in there it answerd a few questions.

Also, how does the bike go on slow tech climbs?
    Last edited by mrgto; 03-10-2013 at 11:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    coil
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Calhoun! i didnt think that thread would be of any use, but further in there it answerd a few questions.

My Chili's HA is almost a degree below stock in slack mode (my preferred choice) and it still climbs steep tech extraordinarily well.

TSC
    More Verbose Than Mose
    The Four X 4 linkage makes going up tech great (less tire slip and more front end control) and down tech even better. You'll clean things that you never could before.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    the Chil will climb anything you have the legs for.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Perpetual Hack
    and the neat thing is so will the Delirium.
    Its climbing ability only runs out when the rider runs out of legs.

...pretty much a standard Four x 4 trait.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Looks like a Chili is in my future! Now to convince the wife! Just wish i could size one.....

mtbr member
    I was considering the Ibis Mojo HD because of the adjustable setup, but i am not carbon friendly. I have more than one ding in my down tube of my Morewood so i am trying to stay away from carbon. Looks like the Chili is what i need to do it all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    coil
    I think the ccdb-a will do me just fine.

I would love a coil, but with my weight it would weigh a ton! I am not springing for a Ti coil either.... I would rather spend the money on brakes or a avy cart for the fork.

mtbr member
    I think the ccdb-a will do me just fine.

I would love a coil, but with my weight it would weigh a ton! I am not springing for a Ti coil either.... I would rather spend the money on brakes or a avy cart for the fork.
    At least that weight is at the center of the bike. You won't even notice the difference when you are riding the bike. My Chilcotin is over 36 pounds now because it eats chunk for dinner.

I have tried the DBair and now have an Avalanche Woody on my Chilcotin. The DBair worked ok, but it was a compromise on the Chilcotin for me. Chilli+big rider+chunky terrain=COIL. I still have the DBair, and I would recommend it if you were building an Endorphin.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    At least that weight is at the center of the bike. You won't even notice the difference when you are riding the bike. My Chilcotin is over 36 pounds now because it eats chunk for dinner.

I have tried the DBair and now have an Avalanche Woody on my Chilcotin. The DBair worked ok, but it was a compromise on the Chilcotin for me. Chilli+big rider+chunky terrain=COIL. I still have the DBair, and I would recommend it if you were building an Endorphin.
    Well if I went coil I would look into a vanilla RC from avalanche. What's the word on that setup?

RideDirt
    mrtgo the word is that it works ! Ill take that CCDB air shock off your hands if you dont want it ? I got a fresh Van RC with only about 3 rides on it if you want to do a swap . All you got to do is send it to Craig at AVY and hell custom tune it all to your personal specs.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Get a coil. Seriously - air cannisters present a catch-22 for bigger riders.
    Good small bump compliance, bad bottom out problems.
    Good bottom-out resistance, shitty small bump compliance.

You are just being stubborn sticking to the air can. You are doing yourself no favors here.

Trust me, I've weighed in at as much as 240 (currently 210) and have tried air on several designs.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am just worried about weight, but truly I could loose a few pounds and that would make up for it.

Is there any comparisons between the CCDB and avy'd vanilla on this bike? I like the idea of having all the knobs to fiddle with on the CC.

Delirious Tuck
    I'm same weight range, on Chili with CCDB-A. No issues on east coast riding including a day at Highland, two or three days at Mt creek, 4 days at whistler and one on the North Shore... plus plenty of long techy New England rides around CT and MA.

As others have said, your legs are the determining factoring in bikes climbing ability. Its a technical mountain goat.

If you're not doing lift serve DH... the Endorphin might be more than enough bike for you...

mtbr member
    Well I like the idea of the chili because we have some good DH trails right in my back yard @ Windrock Mt. Everybody shuttles it plus they do some grassroots racing there. I think the chili would be perfect there. My wife wants to move back out west so I would be hitting North Star up if we moved.

If I can swing it I might try and spec the bike with a ccdb-a and see if I could snag a coil off somebody and give the a head to head to compare for myself. Lot of guys running ccdb here because of cc being so close.

What is everybody thoughts on running 160 vs 170 up front, esp with regards to front end lift for climbing steep tech stuff?
    ^^^^
    Answer to above
    170mm or 160mm fork for my chilcotin??
    Last edited by mrgto; 03-11-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Delirious Tuck
    Then the Chili is your bike. Adjustable BB makes a huge difference between flowy DH trail ripper (low) and comfy in the tech (high).

mtbr member
    Difference between the 160 and 170 external lower cup is very minor for climbing. Noticeable improvement on DH for me. Went from 160 RLC to 170 RC2 and the cartridge alone could be the difference.

If you are a Fox guy, you could save some weight up front with 160 RC2 vs the shortened 180. The difference is about 1/2 pound between the two. Flip a coin...
    Last edited by bubba13; 03-11-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Well if I went coil I would look into a vanilla RC from avalanche. What's the word on that setup?
    Do a search, you'll find plenty of good things to day an not a single bad one.

FWIW, my Avy'd Van RC with ti spring is less than 100g heavier than my DB Air was.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    Then the Chili is your bike. Adjustable BB makes a huge difference between flowy DH trail ripper (low) and comfy in the tech (high).
    Agreed. Loved this feature on the Delirium, love it still on the Chilcotin.

I'd love to make it up to Windrock at some point. I grew up in TN and have family in both Nashville and N. Ga.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast