biking is fun

Few Chilcotin questions before I pull the trigger

I was dead set on the new Rune but with shipping delays I decided to look in another direction and then I was pointed to and reminded of the Chili. I have been eyeballing this bike since I sold my delirium 2 years ago to build a DH and AM bike.

Now I am cutting back to one bike so I can pay for going back to school and I think the Chili is the "one bike" answer for me since I ride a ton of DH but still pedal quite often. It was a hard decision between the rune, Chili, Mojo HD, and Enduro.

So, with me being a DHer at heart and used to my 62.5 degree Turner I am thinking I want this thing slack. I have a few other questions as well.

1. Thinking a 180 Talas up front with low bars and zero stack. Cornering won't be an issue with what I am already used to. Will it void the warranty? I will run it in the slack setting at all times.

2. Shock options.... CCDB air? Are they shipping with the modified ones yet? Is it worth the $200 or so extra bucks over the Fox RP23?

3. Anything drastic coming out in the new run that will be released in a few months? Not interested in 650b

4. Do the chainstays grow between the slack and regular settings? I love short chainstays but am worried they are longer when in the slack setting (like most bikes tend to do it seems like)

5. Really specific question. Any large owners out there running a 150mm dropper post? I would love a post that goes from fully extended to fully slammed with a push of the button. I want a 150mm LEV to accomplish that. I think it would be fine. I am 6 feet tall.

Well that is it for now. I am a compulsive buyer and may purchase it before too many people even respond. The only sad part of this is I had my heart set on a black ANO one but they are out. Looks like it is Dayglow yellow for me (rad color but I like ano finishes).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba View Post
    I was dead set on the new Rune but with shipping delays I decided to look in another direction and then I was pointed to and reminded of the Chili. I have been eyeballing this bike since I sold my delirium 2 years ago to build a DH and AM bike.

Now I am cutting back to one bike so I can pay for going back to school and I think the Chili is the "one bike" answer for me since I ride a ton of DH but still pedal quite often. It was a hard decision between the rune, Chili, Mojo HD, and Enduro.

So, with me being a DHer at heart and used to my 62.5 degree Turner I am thinking I want this thing slack. I have a few other questions as well.

1. Thinking a 180 Talas up front with low bars and zero stack. Cornering won't be an issue with what I am already used to. Will it void the warranty? I will run it in the slack setting at all times.

2. Shock options.... CCDB air? Are they shipping with the modified ones yet? Is it worth the $200 or so extra bucks over the Fox RP23?

3. Anything drastic coming out in the new run that will be released in a few months? Not interested in 650b

4. Do the chainstays grow between the slack and regular settings? I love short chainstays but am worried they are longer when in the slack setting (like most bikes tend to do it seems like)

5. Really specific question. Any large owners out there running a 150mm dropper post? I would love a post that goes from fully extended to fully slammed with a push of the button. I want a 150mm LEV to accomplish that. I think it would be fine. I am 6 feet tall.

Well that is it for now. I am a compulsive buyer and may purchase it before too many people even respond. The only sad part of this is I had my heart set on a black ANO one but they are out. Looks like it is Dayglow yellow for me (rad color but I like ano finishes).

OK - how is this for a biased answer:

Embrace your compulsiveness!

Answers:
    1): You're OK
    2): Shock options are Fox CTD-Adjust Kashima or CCDB-Air. For want you want to do with the Chilcotin, the CCDB-Air is the obvious choice for sure. Re: updated internals: I'm pretty sure that our stock has all updated internals, but if not, the upgrade is covered under warranty by Cane Creek and a very quick fix.
    3): Orange frames in the next production run
    4): Very slightly yes, but this is for all intensive purposes academic as the change is very small.
    5): We have 150mm KS Levs in stock (well, a few left anyway - they have been selling super fast!). A 150mm dropper post will not be a problem on a large frame if your inseam length is 31" long or longer (an "average" 6' tall rider would have a 33" inseam length).

Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Awesome. I have some of those same questions and I already have my frame.
    I was a little worried that the Lev 150 would be too tall when fully extend with the post fully inserted into the seat tube on my large. I got it it anyway, am just under 6' with 33.5 inseam so good to know it will be ok.

Also concerned that my CCDB-Air wouldn't have the updated internals (some of the older one's weren't getting full travel).

Too impatient to wait for the Orange but I will say that the Dayglo is spectacularly awesome in person. There's no way to do it justice in a photo.

it's the ride....
    May 2004

I probably can only answer your question #1 #2 (and maybe #4) with one picture. It's worth all your effort to slap in 180mm up front and CCDB rear. I dont feel any down side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Few Chilcotin questions before I pull the trigger-knolly-water-c.jpg  

Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    "3): Orange frames in the next production run "
    where can we see a photo of this thing? I liked the day glow yellow but orange is my favorite color...
    and when will it be available to get them here? (Israel :-)

mtbr member
    Somewhere here in the forum there is a thread about the minimum height you can get away with with each Lev. I think Dusty posted and said you need a minimum of of 8 1/4" or maybe 8 1/8" (seat collar to seat rails) to use a 150 (with it fully extended obviously.)

I ride a large but only have about 7 3/4", so I had to go with the 125 unfortunately. Bummed me out, I really wanted the 150.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Ride Hard. Go Fast.
    here you go. My friend is 6'1" and he's got pretty much the same setup. Hope this helps with making a decision.

1. Thinking a 180 Talas up front with low bars and zero stack.
    +++ he runs a Xfusion fork 170mm with zero stack but had to run higher rise bars because it sat a bit low for him. But the xfusion has a really tall crown so it probably similar to a fox 180. *** interesting to note: he's a jumper so he likes it setup to this preference. He also runs a short 35mm straitline stem so the cockpit is tighter.

+++ I think it'll be the Fox CTD that ships. I like this a lot for more AM style riding. going between the descent and trail mode is really nice. I have rarely used if ever the climb mode.

+++ i've always run it in the slack so don't know the difference. I don't know anyone who runs the chili in the steeper setting tbh.

+++ my buddy runs this 150mm LEV. Loves it because of exactly what you want to do. He can go ride with me AM style but then go hit the jumps on sundays.

Here it is all the way slammed.

biking is fun
    Wow, Thanks for the responses. I am going to call the shop to day and start the process. I didn't realize that knolly had the KS Lev's in stock too so hopefully I can knock two birds out with one stone.

I currently have a 170 lyrik Solo air DH that I may use for the time being. I may get an external cup to get the same geometry. I love how the new fox's feel and mainly I just want a black fork to go with the dayglow since white wouldn't look as good IMO.
    Last edited by climbingbubba; 03-08-2013 at 09:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey Climbingbubba,

Remember how your Delirium worked? The Chilcotin can basically be built the same way except I would not go any bigger than the 180 with straight steerer and ZS lower cup. I just set mine up with a 170 Float and a external lower cup. With the AVY out back it is amazing how much this thing feels like the Delirium. (just a better all-round bike for trail riding)

From my experience, I would either get the Fox shock and an Avalanche Woody or a DBair.

The Rune is nice too but it feels different in how you are balanced on the bike. The Chilcotin feels centered and the Rune seems to have more of a forward rider position. I would say suspension design is excellent on both bikes. Knolly takes the win for frame design and finish.

Welcome back!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    I am going to call the shop to day and start the process.
    Hi Erik - glad to hear that you are going this route. I think you will be happy in the end! Good luck with your build, etc!

Cheers,
    Jamie

RideDirt
    Just like this ? 180mm up front , all coil setup . :P

biking is fun
    Thanks guys for the help, especially Dude! and aedubber for anwering my PM's.

I ordered a Large Dayglo yellow today with CCDBa and a 150mm LEV seatpost. Also ordered some Shimano XT brakes as well.

Now I get to play the waiting game. Good thing I still have my GT distortion to keep me busy in the meantime.

I'll be sure to post some pics when it arrives.

biking is fun
    Since I am sick and bored to death I figured I would post the spec list with my hopeful substitutions for the future...

2013 Knolly Chilcotin with CCDB air
    Rock Shox Lyrik DH 170mm solo air (want a black 180 float lowered to 170)
    Hope pro 2's with Flow rims and comp spokes (wanting some i9's or something)
    Schwalbe Muddy Mary 2.35 front and Fat Albert 2.4 rear (wanting a HD for the rear)
    KS LEV 150mm seatpost
    XT brakeset
    Thompson x4 50mm stem
    Easton Havoc carbon DH bars (also got Deity black labels if the Havocs feel too narrow)
    Sram x9 10 speed shifter/der/cassette 11-36
    Shimano SLX cranks with 30t extralite chainring (running 1x10)
    E13 lg1+ Chainguide
    Point 1 Podium Pedals (may get the new canfields once the color scheme plays out)
    ESI chunky grips
    WTB Devo Carbon TI saddle

I am guessing it will come in around 32ish lbs (my distortion is 31.5) but anything under 34 and I will be ok with it. This bike has to hit 25ish foot table tops and 10ish foot drops on a regular basis so no skimping for me.

mtbr member
    That's a nice build bubba, you are going to love it. Congrats!
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Smart Choice. I went from Rune to this bike....