mtbr member
    May 2004

Explain diff btw 4x4 link and Horst?

Hi

I've been looking at the the Knolly bikes a bit. They sure do look nice and beefy. I've seen several people state that the 4x4 Linkage is not the same as a Horst Linkage. But never seen an actual explanation of what is really different about the linkage pieces and function or about it actually performs differently. I can see how the extra linkage would change the shock rate, but not the axle path.

When I was looking for a new bike I kinda dismissed the Knolly bikes because I didn't want another HL bike. But now I think I shoulda looked a little closer.

Derek

mtbr member
    My view of it is that in many ways it is indeed a Horst link, but there are some differences. Because it has a Horst link axle path, it should be quite independent of pedaling and braking forces much like a regular Horst link bike.

I think the major differences come into play with the shock ratio and spring rate curves. On a normal Horst link you attach one end of the shock to the upper linkage, and you are limited in this positioning as to how it affects the shock ratios.

With the linkage on the Knolly you can really do some much more elaborate tuning of the spring rate throughout the travel. This is why they can use a high volume air can, and get the benefits without the downsides.

On many bikes a low volume can is harsh on small bumps, but if you put on a high volume can, they get small bump sensitivity, but blow through the mid stroke. With the linkage on bikes like the Endorphin, you can get that small bump sensitivity, and still maintain mid stroke support, because of having so much control over the ratio, and spring curve.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Like he said above. A very finely tuned HL rear end. I have a 6" HL bike (titus quasimoto,great bike), but the 5.5" of the Endorphin travel feels deeper/much more controlled. Very supple but I have yet to feel it "bottom out". In addition to the dual four bar, the execution of the design plays a huge role in a bike that handles so well. I've ridden my 04 quasi after 3 years on the Endorphin and it's amazing how much stiffer the rear of the Endorphin is.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002
    I think the major differences come into play with the shock ratio and spring rate curves. On a normal Horst link you attach one end of the shock to the upper linkage, and you are limited in this positioning as to how it affects the shock ratios.

With the linkage on the Knolly you can really do some much more elaborate tuning of the spring rate throughout the travel. This is why they can use a high volume air can, and get the benefits without the downsides.
    ^^^This....and it works.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

differences ?

I dunno....all I know is that I like it better than the other horst link bikes I've tried or owned ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja