mtbr member
    May 2010

Endorphin Rattle

I have a 2012 Endorphin that has a rattle/ clunk noise when riding. All the pivots are tight as well as the other parts on the bike. Has anyone had issues with a clunk/rattle on the new Endorphin? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Ryan

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    that's not a lot to go on unfortunately. Rattle, clunk could be a whole host of usual suspects. Starting with shock bushings, bottom bracket, hub bearings, even loose seat rail clamp could do it.

When do you hear/feel it? on impact? on rebound? during pedal stroke? does it occur if you're off the seat? or off the pedals? You'll have to narrow the field or it'll be random luck to identify it.

mtbr member
    Only time I ever had a rattle/clunk noise on my Endorphin was when the DU bushings on the shock were shot. Any sorta play there?

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Cassette tight? Mine worked it's way a little loose during a long decent a couple days ago and it sounded like something was loose in the rear linkage. Took a little while to figure out where the noise was coming from and was damn annoying the rest of the way down. Clutch derailleurs and 1x setups have spoiled me with silence!
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    I had a clunk that I'm pretty sure was coming from the CTD shock. I sent it to PUSH to get it revalved and it is great now. Not sure what was causing it within the shock though...
    The tune up on the shock made a big difference in ride quality, not a fan of the ctd in its stock version.

mtbr member
    When do you notice the rattle? For instance right now I am fighting to find a creak on my Endo, but it only happens when I crank hard, and it seems worse when I crank on the left arm. So I've got a bit to go on when I start diagnosing. (but damn is it annoying, haha)

Does yours show up or do it at certain times (ie, rattles when sitting on the saddle, but it's quiet when standing, etc). If you can give us a bit more info we can possibly help more.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    When do you notice the rattle? For instance right now I am fighting to find a creak on my Endo, but it only happens when I crank hard, and it seems worse when I crank on the left arm. So I've got a bit to go on when I start diagnosing.
    Drop the rear wheel and check the drive side dropout/hanger. I had a similar creak. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to wipe behind it and dab in a tiny bit of grease before putting it back together.

Yebo Numzaan
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    I had a clunk that I'm pretty sure was coming from the CTD shock. I sent it to PUSH to get it revalved and it is great now. Not sure what was causing it within the shock though...
    The tune up on the shock made a big difference in ride quality, not a fan of the ctd in its stock version.
    Interesting to finally read someone else with the same CTD clunking sound. This noise drove me insane. Crazy hey When I eventually worked out it was the shock, I sent it back to Fox for Warranty and put the old RP23 (off the chilly) onto the Endo and the noise was gone. When I got the warranty shock back...the noise was back. It seemed to only be in the first 1/3 of the travel...it didn't make a sound on bigger hits. I went back to the RP23 and it actually felt a whole lot better also. The ctd seemed to have a lot of stiction in the initial part of its stroke...that opinion was from a lot of people that felt my bike (its sometimes nice to know youre not crazy)

I didn't know push worked on CTD...after a couple rides the RP23 blew up and I decided to send that to Push. I just received a replacement CTD from Knolly (thanks a million). Havent been able to ride either shock yet - injured. It will definitely be interesting.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Interesting to read others experiences with the CTD. Mine didn't make noise (apart from the odd clank on bottoming) but it also didn't do any compression damping. at all. rebound seemed ok, but compression damping got weaker and weaker and after a couple months would blow through all the travel riding fireroads.

I replaced it with a monarch rt3 tuned by Suspension Experts in Asheville. instant magic. Very efficient in XC and the back end just becomes invisible in technical where I use pretty much all the travel but only where I'd expect to.

I've yet to send the CTD back so will be interested to hear/see what they have to say about it, but at this point I think I'm done with fox. For the price of their gear I'm consistently underwhelmed. I do have a 120 float that is a capable XC fork but as much because I didn't pay much for it as it's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Interesting to finally read someone else with the same CTD clunking sound. This noise drove me insane. Crazy hey When I eventually worked out it was the shock, I sent it back to Fox for Warranty and put the old RP23 (off the chilly) onto the Endo and the noise was gone. When I got the warranty shock back...the noise was back. It seemed to only be in the first 1/3 of the travel...it didn't make a sound on bigger hits. I went back to the RP23 and it actually felt a whole lot better also. The ctd seemed to have a lot of stiction in the initial part of its stroke...that opinion was from a lot of people that felt my bike (its sometimes nice to know youre not crazy)

I didn't know push worked on CTD...after a couple rides the RP23 blew up and I decided to send that to Push. I just received a replacement CTD from Knolly (thanks a million). Havent been able to ride either shock yet - injured. It will definitely be interesting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Drop the rear wheel and check the drive side dropout/hanger. I had a similar creak. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to wipe behind it and dab in a tiny bit of grease before putting it back together.
    Ah, good to know, I will check that. I did pull the rear wheel out last night to make sure the cassette was snug, but didn't think of this. So far I've also tried different cranks/pedals/rear derailleur/chain (actually just installed some different parts, but in doing so eliminated all those as being the issue.)

It's only appeared on the last 2 rides, so curious as to what it is.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the responses! I checked every piece of hardware on the frame and nothing was loose. Turns out its the Fox CTD; makes a terrible clunk noise in Trail Mode. Guess I'm going to have to send it to Push as well. Having bad luck with Suspension this season...

mtbr member
    Glad you found it, those random noises can be annoying as hell.