Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138

    Endorphin 27.5 in the Wild: Mini Review

    Wow, first ride. A little background, I have been riding my Warden in the slack setting for some time now. I thought it handled great.

    Endorphin 27.5 in the Wild: Mini Review-img_2282_2.jpg

    Today was a good day for a first ride. It had rained last night and the rocks and roots were angry and snotty in typical BC form. The chances for good first impressions were limited in these conditions. First a few disclaimers. I am not related to Noel. Nor am I paid by Knolly or it's afiliates. Having said this, the bike is unreal good!

    Endorphin 27.5 in the Wild: Mini Review-img_2278.jpg

    From low speed handling, to traction, to seated/standing transitions, to climbing, I was blown away. It is easily the most well balanced bike that I have been aboard. As a side note, Knolly's Fox tune on the Evolve shock was spot on. I have several Cane Creek shocks and was impressed with the Fox's performance. I rode it in trail mode for the whole ride. At 185 PSI (As per Knolly's Suggested settings)and 210 lbs loaded, I was close to ideal.

    In summary, if you enjoy riding bikes and you are looking for a shit eating grin, consider this bike. It delivers.

    A big shout out to Carter for hooking me up and Noel and company for sweating the details on this bike. It is a home run. Not just out of the park but off the front of the fifth deck!

    Just a note on the BB height. On paper the Warden in slack and the Endorphin have similar numbers 13.3. I am running a 150 on the front which would raise this a bit and it was noticably higher with less strikes.
    Last edited by YogiKudo; 09-04-2015 at 06:03 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    Thanks for the quick post! Do you think you could ride the Endo on the same trails as your Warden with the same confidence?
    Last edited by drumstix; 09-05-2015 at 08:09 AM.
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,642
    Thanks for the thoughts. So did you like the Fox DPS as well as your previous CC shocks or better?

    Still undecided which way to go on the shock.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138
    There was a couple of good steep sections on the trail I rode and the Endo felt nice and stable and not out of sorts. Today I am going to ride a bigger trail to get a better feel of it's limits, if any.
    I was very impressed with the Fox. Stayed planted to the trail. Which is what I like with CC's shocks. The trail I'm going to ride today is steep with extended downhill at speed with extensive trail chatter. Should be a good test for the shock & bike. I have the CC DB CS coming so I will be able to do some back to back testing. Cheers

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138
    Endo vs Warden:Both Large

    Numbers:

    Height: 5' 11"
    Weight Loaded: 207-210 pending Lager consumption
    Age: Old (Noel Vintage i.e. well seasoned grapes)
    Inseam: 34"
    Center Crank to Top of Saddle: 30.5"
    Stem: 40mm
    Shim stack below Stem: 1 1/4"



    The two biggest differences so far I noticed were climbing and handling. I was at least a gear less climbing.Didn't look back a lot as I already have a good crack in my helmut.Also, during steep ascents the front end felt more planted even with the 150 on the front. Secondly, the bike felt shorter and more maneuverable despite wheelbase numbers that are similar.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    'Seasoned grapes' love it! lol

    Is your warden built simular to the Endo?

    I ordered a fox shock on the new Endo not even knowing what model came on the frame. I kinda planned on a winter AVY tune regardless.
    I guess you can take the boy out of the homers but can't take the homer out of the boy! lol
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    324
    "207-210 pending Lager consumption"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138
    Went and rode Maple Syrup in Duncan BC today on the Endo. This trail tends to sort out rear shocks fairly quickly as there are low speed as well as high speed downhill sections. There are a few black diamond sections on this trail and the Endo handled them just fine I am happy to say. In this post I will talk about my opinion on the rear shocks. The short answer is it depends on your terrain and your innate love of switches.

    Fox DPS

    Let me say I have been married to the same woman for 32 years so I am not big on switching. This may be why I prefer Cane Creek's simple climb on/climb off mode. With the terrain around here it is difficult to to start fiddling with the three settings on the Fox. I think I would just leave it in trail and tune it from there. It is a good shock but in descend it does not give the pedalling support of either the Inline or CC DB CS in their open setting. The benefit of the Fox should be service intervals on the cartridge should be fairly long.

    Cane Creek DB INline

    Probably the best performing shock from a weight/performance ratio on the market. The climb setting is a little more aggressive than the CC DB CS but I don't mind that. The issue with this shock is service. There is less oil in this shock and subsequently it is more service intensive. If you are a heffer like me pushing 200 plus and riding alot you will need to service this shock at least once/yr @$150 a pop. Ouch

    Cane Creek DB CS

    You know how Linus on Charlie Brown had his favorite blanket. This is what this shock means to me. Yes it is heavier but it is sublime with a great climb switch. The service interval will be much longer with this shock so, depending how much you ride, it may or may not be a big deal. I ride 4,000 mile on dirt/yr so it matters more to me than some.

    Cane Creek DB Inline Coil

    Stay tuned. This may be Utopia



    That's my diatribe on these shocks. Don't forget your results may vary. Cheers J

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    'Seasoned grapes' love it! lol

    Is your warden built simular to the Endo?

    I ordered a fox shock on the new Endo not even knowing what model came on the frame. I kinda planned on a winter AVY tune regardless.
    I guess you can take the boy out of the homers but can't take the homer out of the boy! lol
    I was going to say low hanging fruit but that might have been over the top.

    I tranfered my Warden build over to the Endo so I could get an apples to apples.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sherwin24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    353
    Nice write up! I am almost exact same height and weight as you so glad to hear it fits well. I have planned to run almost the exact cockpit as you and fork travel. With the fairly low stack height I was thinking of 35mm rise bars, looks like you are running something close? Wasn't sure with running a 150mm fork how much that would affect how the bars feel. Since you moved your build over from your Warden, is there any changes you are thinking of making fit wise?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin24 View Post
    Nice write up! I am almost exact same height and weight as you so glad to hear it fits well. I have planned to run almost the exact cockpit as you and fork travel. With the fairly low stack height I was thinking of 35mm rise bars, looks like you are running something close? Wasn't sure with running a 150mm fork how much that would affect how the bars feel. Since you moved your build over from your Warden, is there any changes you are thinking of making fit wise?
    I'm running 40mm riser bars. The Endo fits me better than the Warden, so no changes at the moment.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: David R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,567
    Have you missed (or even noticed) the 20mm extra travel the Warden has?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Have you missed (or even noticed) the 20mm extra travel the Warden has?
    I rode one of the tougher trails I ride yesterday and did not miss a beat. I think the extra travel gives you a little more margin of error when one screws up though. I think the 150/130 travel will be the sweet spot for my riding. It all depends where you ride and how you ride. I still do a ton of climbing and the better pedalling platform on the Endo is nice.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: David R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,567
    Cheers! I'm sure the Endo would have been fine for most of my riding, but I still opted for the Warden. Maybe when they bring out a carbon Endo I'll switch...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    I'm running 40mm riser bars. The Endo fits me better than the Warden, so no changes at the moment.
    How do you like the fit with the 40mm stem? How wide are you bars? I opted for a 50mm stem with 800mm bars, but I'm having second thoughts now. I'm about the same height as you, maybe with a bar that wide I should go with a 40mm stem.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rdhfreethought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,539
    I run 760mm bars and 50mm stem on my smaller bikes (Chilcotin, Delerium, Endo) and 800mm only on the Podium. I still smack trees with the 760, (and 800mm depending on the race track), and never need the leverage ratio of the 800mm on 'tame' stuff. For DH, 800mm is mandatory unless you are 5'6" and can bench 300lbs

    imo anyway.

    Kent, I think where you ride mostly, you are not threading between trees too often, so the 800mm is going to be a matter of preference, not terrain. Am I right?

    Its not apples to apples, but the 50mm on the 760mmx20mm bars feels just right if maybe a little tight, and I think our armspan/torso is about the same. So with the 800mm, I think 50mm would be fine. You are more of a hammerhead than me anyway, so getting a tad more stretched out is probably more suited to you.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    How do you like the fit with the 40mm stem? How wide are you bars? I opted for a 50mm stem with 800mm bars, but I'm having second thoughts now. I'm about the same height as you, maybe with a bar that wide I should go with a 40mm stem.
    I'm riding 740s with the 40 stem. Trees are the issue here. Bike feels super balanced.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    I'm riding 740s with the 40 stem. Trees are the issue here. Bike feels super balanced.

    Being in the Pacific Northwest, and do a lot of climbing what do you use for drivetrain?
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    Being in the Pacific Northwest, and do a lot of climbing what do you use for drivetrain?
    I run 30 up front 1 x 11 Sram. I can run 28 front 1 x 10 up here but it is easy to gear out when I'm riding more open trails down south.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    I run 760mm bars and 50mm stem on my smaller bikes (Chilcotin, Delerium, Endo) and 800mm only on the Podium. I still smack trees with the 760, (and 800mm depending on the race track), and never need the leverage ratio of the 800mm on 'tame' stuff. For DH, 800mm is mandatory unless you are 5'6" and can bench 300lbs

    imo anyway.

    Kent, I think where you ride mostly, you are not threading between trees too often, so the 800mm is going to be a matter of preference, not terrain. Am I right?

    Its not apples to apples, but the 50mm on the 760mmx20mm bars feels just right if maybe a little tight, and I think our armspan/torso is about the same. So with the 800mm, I think 50mm would be fine. You are more of a hammerhead than me anyway, so getting a tad more stretched out is probably more suited to you.
    I may end up trimming them down a bit. I think 775-785mm is going to be the sweet spot for me, but there are trees on my trails and I've been paying more attention recently to how close I get to some of them with my current 720 and 750 bars. I may find myself clipping a few at first with 800s. I do like the feel of the wider bars though.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rdhfreethought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,539
    I did a bunch of climbing today, and I think for me a slightly longer stem might be better. Since I am a fraction taller than you, that confirms that I think a 50mm will be good for you.

    I did adjust my brake levers wider. My hand rests almost to the end of the grip now, giving me another 20mm width on the 760mm that I am running.


    FYI. In my experience the 35mm craze is too much. The bars are too stiff, like my smaller ENVE bars. They are too stiff. I like the 31.8 Easton Havoc and 800mm ENVE better, solid, but not as rigid as concrete. If the NEXT 35mm bars are this stiff, the SIXC must be crazy uncomfortable...
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rdhfreethought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    I run 30 up front 1 x 11 Sram. I can run 28 front 1 x 10 up here but it is easy to gear out when I'm riding more open trails down south.
    I run a 32T 1x10. I normally climb the CAT 3 and CAT 4 climbs on Tiger in 3rd gear. But when I am tired (like today) and do a double loop, I drop to 1st on the second lap. I think pushing a higher gear really teaches you to use your whole body, you have to stand and climb sometimes, and use your arms a fair bit.

    With a 32T I rarely spin out, and usually I am going so fast, I don't want to pedal, and just want to tuck. I clocked 38.9mph coming down the Tiger FR last week.

    When I get a new wheelset, I may go 34T 1x11 SRAM. I just hate all these standards though, and might just boycott. All my bikes migrated from 9sp to 10sp in the last 18 months, and I would hate to do it again. 10SPD XTR cassettes are awesome, and like half price now.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    Vb
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    I run a 32T 1x10. I normally climb the CAT 3 and CAT 4 climbs on Tiger in 3rd gear. But when I am tired (like today) and do a double loop, I drop to 1st on the second lap. I think pushing a higher gear really teaches you to use your whole body, you have to stand and climb sometimes, and use your arms a fair bit.

    With a 32T I rarely spin out, and usually I am going so fast, I don't want to pedal, and just want to tuck. I clocked 38.9mph coming down the Tiger FR last week.

    When I get a new wheelset, I may go 34T 1x11 SRAM. I just hate all these standards though, and might just boycott. All my bikes migrated from 9sp to 10sp in the last 18 months, and I would hate to do it again. 10SPD XTR cassettes are awesome, and like half price now.
    I'm sorta starting over in this after a few years off a bike. I have a new Endo on route now. My last bike was 2x9 lol. So yeah every component will be new.

    With this in mind, if you were starting over would you have any reason not to go with sram 1x11?
    Last edited by drumstix; 09-08-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flyinmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    502
    No.. not for me
    it would be more of a question of XTR or X01
    There is a difference in shifting strategy between 1x and having a granny gear.. But, I think it makes me a better rider.

    I'm really digging the SRAM RSC brakes.. Their integration with other SRAM components is very clean
    XX1 and X01 have been pretty good to me. So, I will be sticking with that.

    Although, Di2 does look pretty intersting.. I just can't justify the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    Vb

    I'm sorta starting over in this after a few years off a bike. I have a new Endo on route now. My last bike was 2x9 lol. So yeah every component will be new.

    With this in mind, if you were starting over would you have any reason not to go with sram 1x11?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    Vb

    I'm sorta starting over in this after a few years off a bike. I have a new Endo on route now. My last bike was 2x9 lol. So yeah every component will be new.

    With this in mind, if you were starting over would you have any reason not to go with sram 1x11?
    Same here. I've been on 1x10 with a 11-42 t spread on my Chilcotin for a year and a half now and had XO1/X1 11 speed drivetrain with a 34t chain ring on my 5010c and loved it. Flawess shifting. Never dropped a chain, etc. I never rode a shimano 1x11 drivetrain that worked as well on any of the dozens of bikes I've tested over the past year or two.

    I'm going 32t chain ring with XO1 11 speed derailleur and cassette on my Endorphin with X1 shifter. I debated sticking with the 34t but decided with the Endorphin being just a little heavier than the 5010 and the 34t being just a bit too tall on some long steep climbs the 32 would be better. However, I have noticed spinning out a bit on my 32 x 11 tall gear on my Chilcotin lately on shallower, faster descents where pedaling is advantageous... or on the pavement getting to the trailhead. Not a big deal for me though. Most of my descents are fueled by gravity, not pedaling.

    Anyone else intrigued by the oval chain rings. OneUp, Wolf Tooth, and Black Spire all are coming out with them now. Is it the next big thing or just a gimmick. I tested one from RotoR a few years ago at Interbike and it felt fine but I wasn't able to determine in a short test ride what the advantages are. OneUp call there's the Traction Ring and claim it really improves climbing.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  26. #26
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Reputation: Travis Bickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,633
    Hopefully my AB oval ring will arrive today and maybe the rest of my drivetrain parts later this week. I met a guy on the trail a while back and he said his oval ring helped climbing a bit. I'll see.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: movingmountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    345
    Waiting for my Endorphin. I'm going to run 11 speed SRAM 10-42 with a 32. Thinking if I needed it put a One 44 back there. I've been running 2 rings for a long time. The oval maybe seems like a rehashed gimmick. But what do I know. I had run Shimano Bio Space(oval) rings back in the day. I still have have them in a parts bin. Didn't seem to do much but maybe bug my knees a bit. But most people were running triples back then. I guess more will be revealed.....
    I've go a 60 stem and 760 bar I pulled from another bike seems to work so far. My LBS is pretty good about trying different stems. Probably go shorter stem. Just got to get the bike.
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rehammer81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    416
    My understanding was the old Biopace rings were clocked wrong but I have never seen them so can't confirm. I have an Absolute Black oval ring on my rig now. After the first 5 minutes from changing from the round ring I felt like my power was up slightly on climbs. I have a Stages to confirm this but can't 100% claim that to be strictly a result of the oval ring. I also felt I was able to maintain a consistently higher cadence at a higher power output too. This was all on a lot of smooth climbing in preparation for Leadville. Can't say I have noticed much difference on more technical terrain.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,061
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    My understanding was the old Biopace rings were clocked wrong but I have never seen them so can't confirm. I have an Absolute Black oval ring on my rig now. After the first 5 minutes from changing from the round ring I felt like my power was up slightly on climbs. I have a Stages to confirm this but can't 100% claim that to be strictly a result of the oval ring. I also felt I was able to maintain a consistently higher cadence at a higher power output too. This was all on a lot of smooth climbing in preparation for Leadville. Can't say I have noticed much difference on more technical terrain.
    Funny, I felt like I had less power when running the AB oval ring. Running a boring round ring now and it feels a lot better. But I did notice the higher cadence. Some of the difference could be that the oval was 32t and the round ring is 34t?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miťrcoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    My old Shogun Had Shimano's bio-pace chainrings. Also had U brakes under the chain stays. Lol I was a cool kid once....
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rehammer81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    416
    Like I said I can't claim 100% the power and cadence gains were a result of the oval ring but the power meter definitely showed a difference over a 3+ hour training ride I was doing every weekend for months from one weekend with a round ring to the next couple weekends with the oval ring. Along with the power data the most noticeable difference to me was the unscientific reduction in RPE at said increased power output. I think part of that is the increased cadence which effectively results in reducing your power output per revolution. Anyway, this conversation is way off topic. Back to the regularly scheduled conversation about the badass Endo 27.5.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Some of the difference could be that the oval was 32t and the round ring is 34t?
    Yeah, I think you were supposed to go the other way around - go a step up with the oval, and during the weak part of your stroke you're effectively pushing the 32 and during the part where you've got all the power you're pushing the 34.

    Oh, apologies for the OT. Is my bike here yet?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    Yogi, anymore new ride reports or pics you can add?
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sherwin24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    353
    I too rode the Shimano Bio-pace back in the day, just because it was on the bike. Can't say I ever noticed it did anything. Going 1x was a game changer though, made me get stronger and quick. I see the oval having potential in that sense, so interested in what everyone finds out. I am not going to change my perfectly good ring for one, but when the time comes maybe.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    Yogi, anymore new ride reports or pics you can add?
    Been on a half a dozen rides with the Endo now. The key word is FUN

    A few things That I notice moving my build from my Warden in slack mode:

    1) Feels shorter and more agile on the Trail despite similar numbers

    2) Consistently one gear easier climbing

    3) Bottom bracket is higher with the 150 front end resulting in less pedal strikes

    4) Front end is more stable on steep ascents even with 150

    5) The most important difference is the Endo fits me better. Don't ask me why,
    the number are similar and I simply swapped the build.

    6) The Fox Shock is growing on me. For trails that I can use the different modes effectively, it is very good. I understand why Rocky uses the bar mount CTD remote around here. It makes sense and let's you maximize the performance of the shock without dying.

    PS: The Warden is going nowhere. I am building a Knolly war chest.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    Been on a half a dozen rides with the Endo now. The key word is FUN

    A few things That I notice moving my build from my Warden in slack mode:

    1) Feels shorter and more agile on the Trail despite similar numbers

    2) Consistently one gear easier climbing

    3) Bottom bracket is higher with the 150 front end resulting in less pedal strikes

    4) Front end is more stable on steep ascents even with 150

    5) The most important difference is the Endo fits me better. Don't ask me why,
    the number are similar and I simply swapped the build.

    6) The Fox Shock is growing on me. For trails that I can use the different modes effectively, it is very good. I understand why Rocky uses the bar mount CTD remote around here. It makes sense and let's you maximize the performance of the shock without dying.

    PS: The Warden is going nowhere. I am building a Knolly war chest.

    Interesting, do you feel your more centered or have more weight on the front wheel?

    I like to sit well behind the front wheel myself but I know that isn't really ideal other than maybe a DH bike.
    When your seated, where are you located in regards to the front end or wheel?

    What are the plans for the warden? Build wise? Light weight trail bike like the Endo or more of a bike park feel?
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    461
    I have been planning on getting a Warden but after reading your review I am having second thoughts. I currently ride a Chilcotin and love it, but would like something that climbs more efficiently. I don't want to give up much downhill capability though, since I do most of my riding on the North Shore. Does the new endorphin handle steep and technical downhills almost as well as the warden does? I plan to keep my Chili for the really Knargly trails and Bike Park riding. Sounds like the new endo would compliment it well and make a very versatile bike stable. Thanks alot for the review, even though it has made my decision more difficult!

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Sounds like the new endo would compliment it well and make a very versatile bike stable.
    That's what I'm doing. Chilcotin/Endorphin stable. My local trails are quite a bit tamer than yours, but I have ridden my 5010 on some pretty techy trails in Moab (Rockstacker, Jacksons) and it did well. Please note that the Endorphin is more capable than the 5010. I haven't ridden the Endorphin on true North Shore type trails but it is a very capable bike. Will it leave you wishing for more on your home trails? Not sure, but if you get the Warden, you may find yourself leaving the Chilcotin home most of the time.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    461
    Thanks for the words of wisdom Kent. The Endo / Chili combo makes alot of sense, but the Warden seems like it could work well for 95% of my riding and come close to a one - bike solution. I spend alot of time riding in Squamish so I want something that can climb and decend well.

  40. #40
    Yebo Numzaan
    Reputation: Muttonchops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    792
    Hey Skooks,

    Pretty similar boat to you. I have a Warden and a Chilly...which i consider(ed) my best bike i had ever owned. Been thru so much together...some of the times we came out in one piece..other times one of us had to go for repairs.

    I got the Warden with the same intention...to keep the Chilly for the more gnar riding. You know what...The chilly is getting more and more neglected.

    I spent a week up in Whistler before the EWS. I rode the valley trails and trails I thought might be in the race. RDS plus west side trails like Green Monster and Billys.
    No doubt about it...the Warden climbs better and descends as well IMO.

    A week or two later I spent three days in Squamish and pretty much rode every black / double black trail i could find. Only more proof in my mind that the Warden is the real deal. Didnt hesitate on any of the lines on Treasure / Penthouse / Rampage etc.. I would say, the bike was so confidence inspiring it was scary. Rode a day on the Shore on the way up and same story.

    Bottom line - the Warden does not give up DH capability to the Chilly....I could probably have pulled the piss a little more on a Delerium at Whistler or Squamish...but do not believe i would have had as much fun and felt so confident riding those trails on an Endo. I dont think I would want to go with anything lighter than a Warden in Squamish to ride the gnarlier trails for sure.

    Adios bru...great predicament.
    I support EMBA

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    324
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Thanks for the words of wisdom Kent. The Endo / Chili combo makes alot of sense, but the Warden seems like it could work well for 95% of my riding and come close to a one - bike solution. I spend alot of time riding in Squamish so I want something that can climb and decend well.
    Your point is excellent, but allow me to retort: 2 bikes.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138
    First let me say I'm not riding many double black trails like Mutton. If I was, I would be on the Warden. As far as everything below double black, I'm still learning what the Endo is capable of. My gut feeling is single black and below the Endo will do well. It depends on what you want to take on. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Cheers

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    461
    That's great information, thanks alot. Sounds like I should stick with the original plan and pick up a warden. One question, what shock are you running on your Warden?

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    That's great information, thanks alot. Sounds like I should stick with the original plan and pick up a warden. One question, what shock are you running on your Warden?
    I run both a DB Inline & CCDB CS (Inline has shorter service life)

  45. #45
    TSC
    TSC is offline
    Buehliever
    Reputation: TSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    873
    Quote Originally Posted by movingmountain View Post
    Waiting for my Endorphin. I'm going to run 11 speed SRAM 10-42 with a 32. Thinking if I needed it put a One 44 back there. I've been running 2 rings for a long time. The oval maybe seems like a rehashed gimmick. But what do I know. I had run Shimano Bio Space(oval) rings back in the day. I still have have them in a parts bin. Didn't seem to do much but maybe bug my knees a bit. But most people were running triples back then. I guess more will be revealed.....
    I've go a 60 stem and 760 bar I pulled from another bike seems to work so far. My LBS is pretty good about trying different stems. Probably go shorter stem. Just got to get the bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by rehammer81 View Post
    My understanding was the old Biopace rings were clocked wrong but I have never seen them so can't confirm. I have an Absolute Black oval ring on my rig now. After the first 5 minutes from changing from the round ring I felt like my power was up slightly on climbs. I have a Stages to confirm this but can't 100% claim that to be strictly a result of the oval ring. I also felt I was able to maintain a consistently higher cadence at a higher power output too. This was all on a lot of smooth climbing in preparation for Leadville. Can't say I have noticed much difference on more technical terrain.
    You're right about Biopace being clocked wrong. A lot of the newer oval chainrings have been clocked wrong--just not as severely. There's a good paper about oval chainrings and the proper clocking* of the pedal to decrease knee strain. Here's the page: Non Circular Chainring. The authors (one of whom I corresponded with via email) have been helping a guy make their model a reality (rode bikes only, for now). The guy developing these oval chainrings is working on funding. Here's his site: PrOval Bike Components.

    *IIRC, you need to clock crank lined up with the seatpost when the oval is on it's side. Not sure. Besides, they are talking about road bikes so it might not directly apply.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Similar Threads

  1. KNOLLY Chilcotin and Endorphin: A 6 month review
    By tiSS'er in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-25-2015, 10:47 PM
  2. MRP AMG and XX1 mini review
    By Mr. Lynch in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2014, 09:01 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
  4. horsethief mini review
    By fast540 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
  5. New Mach429 mini-review
    By tiSS'er in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 11:39 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •