destination unknown
    May 2008

Endo Shakedown Stoke [oo]<

I got out to ride the new Endorphin today. I did my go-to loop when testing anything new. It's about 10 miles with 2000' of climbing. The terrain is rocky, loose over hardpack desert singletrack. Traction up and down will be tested. Here's the video my nephew shot following me on some of the descents. He's riding along on a SC Nomad.

As far as first impressions go the bike shined on the descents. I felt comfortable about halfway through but didn't get super comfortable, its a first ride after all. The Endo climbed pretty well too. I set it up with about 33% sag, 6 clicks of R from full closed and ran the shock in D the whole time

Powered by ice cream.
    How did it climb? It is fun watching vids after riding with someone as I have a much better feel for how you ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    How did it climb? It is fun watching vids after riding with someone as I have a much better feel for how you ride.
    Yeah, enel it was good to ride with you. Sedona was killer

It climbed like a scalded goat on crack

mtbr member
    Nice. Looks like it can handle a fair amount of chunkiness just fine.

I'd be interested in your comparisons wtih your dw 5 Spot.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Nice. Looks like it can handle a fair amount of chunkiness just fine.

I'd be interested in your comparisons wtih your dw 5 Spot.
    Here are some first impressions. I can tell the Endo will be a very capable descender equal to or better than the Spot. It ate up the moderate rocks very smoothly which made for a solid, stable ride. I really liked the suspension feel going down. Anyone with concerns about its descending prowess shouldn't worry -- this bike is plenty. IMO I'd be way over biked on a Chili for where I ride most. The bike felt stiff and held all the off camber lines great. Climbing as my Endo is setup (same fork, stem length, tires as Spot) gives up some ground in terms of efficiency and traction. I broke traction out of the saddle quite a few times which had me rattled a little. I have some dialing-in that needs to be done and I need to lower the fork 10mm to 150 which should help going up and down. The front felt a little tall at times but it didn't lift on steep climbs. I'm already running a pretty low stack so the bike must have been wallowing a little I think. I didn't get full travel but the rear end never felt harsh. Since I kept the shock in D the entire ride there was some pedal bob that wasn't too bad but it did suck some extra energy -- I'm just not used to it coming from a DW bike. With tuning, adjusting my position on the bike, and adapting to the 4x4 I should be able to improve the climbing without sacrificing the DH. However, I'm not sure it will ever be as efficient as the Spot without running the shock in climb mode but I may be wrong. Overall, the bike is way cool and is definitely a gravity junky's trail bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    Here are some first impressions. I can tell the Endo will be a very capable descender equal to or better than the Spot. It ate up the moderate rocks very smoothly which made for a solid, stable ride. I really liked the suspension feel going down. Anyone with concerns about its descending prowess shouldn't worry -- this bike is plenty. IMO I'd be way over biked on a Chili for where I ride most. The bike felt stiff and held all the off camber lines great. Climbing as my Endo is setup (same fork, stem length, tires as Spot) gives up some ground in terms of efficiency and traction. I broke traction out of the saddle quite a few times which had me rattled a little. I have some dialing-in that needs to be done and I need to lower the fork 10mm to 150 which should help going up and down. The front felt a little tall at times but it didn't lift on steep climbs. I'm already running a pretty low stack so the bike must have been wallowing a little I think. I didn't get full travel but the rear end never felt harsh. Since I kept the shock in D the entire ride there was some pedal bob that wasn't too bad but it did suck some extra energy -- I'm just not used to it coming from a DW bike. With tuning, adjusting my position on the bike, and adapting to the 4x4 I should be able to improve the climbing without sacrificing the DH. However, I'm not sure it will ever be as efficient as the Spot without running the shock in climb mode but I may be wrong. Overall, the bike is way cool and is definitely a gravity junky's trail bike
    Thanks for the insights. Yeah, knowing what they consider "XC" up in North Van I'm not surprised it descends well and handles some pretty agressive trail.

Probably really all I need for 90 percent of the trails I ride locally too..... but I know I'm goiong to want more for the trips to Moab, BC, Phoenix etc so am still leaning towards the Chili.

Surprised about the rear traction issue. That's usually one of the 4x4's strong points. I noticed more slippage on my dw Spot (at first) but have adapted my climbing style a bit and it's generally an non-issue now.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Surprised about the rear traction issue. That's usually one of the 4x4's strong points. I noticed more slippage on my dw Spot (at first) but have adapted my climbing style a bit and it's generally an non-issue now.
    Yeah, it's a head scratcher. I think I'm just so dialed into the Spot. The way the linkages work under pedal load is practically polar opposite.

mtbr member
    the traction issue will be solved with a few clicks of rebound - on my chili I can affect climbing traction by as little as 2 clicks

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
    the traction issue will be solved with a few clicks of rebound - on my chili I can affect climbing traction by as little as 2 clicks
    Thanks. Right now I'm one click slow from the middle or 6 from closed on the Fox Float CTD. I will try 5 from closed for tomorrow's ride.