mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Endo build ..in progress

I've been mostly lurking here for some time gleaning info on stuff that works and stuff that might not so I'll start with a 'thanks' to those who've shared up a pile of good info. I won't name names as I'd certainly miss several valuable contributors but all the regulars can consider themselves appreciated.

So, this is work in progress, but only minor tweaks away from being ready for prime time. It's had a week in Pisgah, a few chunky local rides (Ottawa) and is headed to Kingdom VT tomorrow for some flowy stuff where I expect I'll put a spotlight on the fox CTDs compromise.

Endo build ..in progress-ottawa-20130516-00008.jpgEndo build ..in progress-ottawa-20130516-00009.jpgEndo build ..in progress-ottawa-20130516-00010.jpg

Med. Endorphin,
    Cane Creek 40 HS
    Magura TS8
    Back; Hope pro2 EVO hub, sapim race, ArchEX, 2.35" Ardent (tubeless)
    Front; Ind. Nine with 650b FlowEX, 2.35" Nobby Nic (tubeless)
    Hope tech 2 evo brakes.
    180mm icetech rotor front, 160mm Avid cleansweep rear
    2x8 Gripshift drivetrain. X0 der back, 11-32 cassette, XT front der (XTR 2 ring with light bash)
    90mm RF Turbine stem
    RF CF Next bars uncut @ 725mm
    Thomson elite setback post
    WTB ti rail saddle

~28lb as is.

Future;
    **will likely move to 1x10 with wolf ring and clutch der when the 8spd finally wears out (if I can't get more 8spd cassettes.)

I have the Industry Nine rear wheel on deck but haven't bothered to swap it in. It is presently built as 650b and while it "fits" with a neo moto, just throwing a leg over in the basement convinced me not to bother. ..it felt wrong just sitting still so the Ind Nine will get relaced to a 26" flowEX when time permits so I'll then have two wheel sets. a burly I9 and a weight weenie.

The rear shock is a conundrum. I would like to have it a bit more progressive in the latter half of the travel, but I'm also noticing that the more active back is aiding me a bit in the short techy climbs compared to my last trail bike so I'm recognizing some value to it the way it is. I do wish I could adjust the spring curve to ramp up a bit more later in the stroke even just to see if it does what I expect it would, but without doing something like sending it out to Suspension Experts or someone to fiddle with that's not an option with this shock. Anyway, it does do a lot of stuff very well and I don't think on it much when I'm riding so that says something.

I noticed that some of the folks here geek out on head angle numbers. Historically I've only thought of head angle in looser terms such as;
    'choppered', 'DH slack' 'pretty slack' 'normal' 'steeper', 'xc steep', 'waaay steep', and 'Hutch trickstar'
    so for giggles I measured this build at bang on 68 degrees with a good spirit level and 67.3 +/- .5 degrees with a digital instrument.

That's about where it sits for now. Road trip tomorrow!

mtbr member
    congrats on getting an endo.

the layback seatpost will mean you do not climb as efficiently as those with bikes the correct size for them with straight seatposts. by using a layback you will put your body weight in the wrong position while seated thus killing how well this bike climbs while seated in the correct poition. if knolly thought the seat should be back there whilst climbing seated, they would have put it there. why do you mess with the geometry in this way?

why put a 650b wheel on the front and 26 on the rear, way to mess with the geo two times over.

whats with the long stem?
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    congrats on getting an endo.

the layback seatpost will mean you do not climb as efficiently as those with bikes the correct size for them with straight seatposts. by using a layback you will put your body weight in the wrong position while seated thus killing how well this bike climbs while seated in the correct poition. if knolly thought the seat should be back there whilst climbing seated, they would have put it there. why do you mess with the geometry in this way?

why put a 650b wheel on the front and 26 on the rear, way to mess with the geo two times over.

whats with the long stem?
    r/e the layback.
    I tried a straight post but felt cramped and less comfortable. My body is slightly biased towards longer torso, shorter inseam.
    I think I climb more efficiently when I'm comfortable and the 16mm difference in the layback provides that. Also, I think my seat is unweighted and my body is dynamic enough while riding trail (i.e. when I'm really recruiting the suspension) to more than account for the 16mm.
    r/e the stem.
    I've been going back and forth between an 80mm stem and the 90, but each has strengths and presently the 90 seems pretty good.

In short the bike fit is for me, my leg/torso length and the way i ride, the trails I ride. If it seems odd to you then so be it. Perhaps you've got different physiological characteristics and prefer to ride different trails in a different manner. ..or not, but in my world there's more than one solution to most puzzles.

As to the 650 front; I've run 650 on the front of my trail bike for a few years and quite like it. It's a pretty subtle difference and I feel doesn't' negatively affect the handling at all. The front geometry is well inside the recommended HA envelope that 140-160 forks would create and I'm ok with it.

thanks for you thoughts tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kark View Post
    r/e the layback.
    I tried a straight post but felt cramped and less comfortable. My body is slightly biased towards longer torso, shorter inseam.
    I think I climb more efficiently when I'm comfortable and the 16mm difference in the layback provides that. Also, I think my seat is unweighted and my body is dynamic enough while riding trail (i.e. when I'm really recruiting the suspension) to more than account for the 16mm.
    r/e the stem.
    I've been going back and forth between an 80mm stem and the 90, but each has strengths and presently the 90 seems pretty good.

In short the bike fit is for me, my leg/torso length and the way i ride, the trails I ride. If it seems odd to you then so be it. Perhaps you've got different physiological characteristics and prefer to ride different trails in a different manner. ..or not, but in my world there's more than one solution to most puzzles.

As to the 650 front; I've run 650 on the front of my trail bike for a few years and quite like it. It's a pretty subtle difference and I feel doesn't' negatively affect the handling at all. The front geometry is well inside the recommended HA envelope that 140-160 forks would create and I'm ok with it.

thanks for you thoughts tho.
    Just out of curiosity how tall are you and what is your inseem?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    Just out of curiosity how tall are you and what is your inseem?
    I'm 5'-9. 31.6" inseam.
    Last edited by kark; 05-19-2013 at 07:02 AM.