mtbr member
    Jan 2009

dt/delirium canfield the one,

just wondering if anyone on here had experiance of riding all these bikes. knolyy dt. delirium, and the canfield theone.
    how does theone compare to the delirium, does it compare, i hear great things about the one and it's climbing/pedaling characteristics. so was wondering how it compared to the delirium.
    thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I have ridden the DT and the Delirium. My buddy had The One and now has a Delirium. He said it rode a bit high and didn't pedal all that great in comparison to the Delirium. I'm a huge Canfield fan and love the Jedi. I think The One makes for a more DH oriented FR bike. The Delirium can pedal like a XC bike and descend like a DH sled.

I'll ask him if he cares to respond.
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

RideDirt
    I been hearing a lot of hype about the Jedi , i been looking to maybe get another bike bike but i dunno. That price tag is steep .

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13 View Post
    I have ridden the DT and the Delirium. My buddy had The One and now has a Delirium. He said it rode a bit high and didn't pedal all that great in comparison to the Delirium. I'm a huge Canfield fan and love the Jedi. I think The One makes for a more DH oriented FR bike. The Delirium can pedal like a XC bike and descend like a DH sled.

I'll ask him if he cares to respond.
    that would be great if he would, any info would be great to me at the mo, as i am seriously thinking of getting one.
    dom what year did your mate have, as i believe they made some changes over the last few years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think the biggest difference between theOne and a Delirium is the ability to adjust the amount of rear travel the bike has.

I haven't personally ridden a Canfield One, but I do have a Delirium and it pedals and climbs fantastically, and RIPS on the way down. For me, it's the perfect freeride bike.

I can imagine that by offering so many adjustable travel options the one is going to have to make some sacrifices in certain areas, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Seriously, why not consider the Chilcotin? Over the last several months, Chilcotin owners have been posting very impressive photos and videos of them shredding aggressive trails/parks. Owing to the abuse, etc, the front fork has been bumped 180mm. Some of the builds are are down right DH builds. The geometry is very similar to the Delirium. Noel in chatting with Krob (in his adventures to Canada) mentioned that he isn't sure where the Delirium should fit, due to the capabilities of the Chilcotin. The difference is weight and 10mm of travel. I have argued for the positives of the Delirium with respect to this, but there are 2 sides to the coin.

I am a die-hard Delirium fan, but if something happened to my Delirium....I would have 2 choices search for a used Delirium or get a Chilcotin. Based on the recent information, I would have to seriously consider the Chilcotin option. I also own a Podium so that's part of the equation as well.

Three brands that I appreciate and respect- Knolly, Turner, and Canfield - small companies built around riding and customer service. Now every time, I consider one of the others, I always come back to Knolly because of suspension, geometry, and package.

Yeah, the same buddy that had the "One" - it just didn't work for him. First day, first ride, first run on the Delirium on a jump trail - sent it over every jump with ease and style. After a few rides, he said I now know what you guys are talking about with respect to the awesomeness of the Delirium.

When Dom first had a Jedi, I hated the bike - it scared the crap out of me. Then he got an AVY shock for it and dialed it in more, it was an amazing night and day transformation. That was a fun bike, because it really rides different than most. But as you can see, we are both on Knolly Podiums.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    I think the biggest difference between theOne and a Delirium is the ability to adjust the amount of rear travel the bike has.

I haven't personally ridden a Canfield One, but I do have a Delirium and it pedals and climbs fantastically, and RIPS on the way down. For me, it's the perfect freeride bike.

I can imagine that by offering so many adjustable travel options the one is going to have to make some sacrifices in certain areas, but that's just me.
    There are some compromises on the one frame regarding its travel options. It really isn't ideal at the lower travel settings, the BB is too low and people experience pedal strikes. It's really a 7" or longer travel machine. It gets great reviews in the longer travel mode and the Canfield bros offer great cs as well. Tough call. Truly a demo would be in order before making a final decision

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    But as you can see, we are both on Knolly Podiums.
    Yes, key words in his post.

The Jedi has it's place, but the Podium (new and old) are pure all out racing sleds that can take on anything. I would imagine the new Podium with a SC and a DB Air/Vivid would be a tremendous all around park bike.

I thought I'd lose confidence going from the DT to the Delirium, but just the opposite happened. I became more comfortable in the air and it just feels right. Our buddy said that the jumping features of the Delirium are amazing in comparison to his One.

People say the Chili is confidence inspiring, as well. I don't know....DB hasn't sent me one to test out yet! :-)
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    that would be great if he would, any info would be great to me at the mo, as i am seriously thinking of getting one.
    dom what year did your mate have, as i believe they made some changes over the last few years.
    He had the newer 2012 version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Seriously, why not consider the Chilcotin? Over the last several months, Chilcotin owners have been posting very impressive photos and videos of them shredding aggressive trails/parks. Owing to the abuse, etc, the front fork has been bumped 180mm. Some of the builds are are down right DH builds. The geometry is very similar to the Delirium. Noel in chatting with Krob (in his adventures to Canada) mentioned that he isn't sure where the Delirium should fit, due to the capabilities of the Chilcotin. The difference is weight and 10mm of travel. I have argued for the positives of the Delirium with respect to this, but there are 2 sides to the coin.

I am a die-hard Delirium fan, but if something happened to my Delirium....I would have 2 choices search for a used Delirium or get a Chilcotin. Based on the recent information, I would have to seriously consider the Chilcotin option. I also own a Podium so that's part of the equation as well.

Three brands that I appreciate and respect- Knolly, Turner, and Canfield - small companies built around riding and customer service. Now every time, I consider one of the others, I always come back to Knolly because of suspension, geometry, and package.

Yeah, the same buddy that had the "One" - it just didn't work for him. First day, first ride, first run on the Delirium on a jump trail - sent it over every jump with ease and style. After a few rides, he said I now know what you guys are talking about with respect to the awesomeness of the Delirium.

When Dom first had a Jedi, I hated the bike - it scared the crap out of me. Then he got an AVY shock for it and dialed it in more, it was an amazing night and day transformation. That was a fun bike, because it really rides different than most. But as you can see, we are both on Knolly Podiums.
    Well stated Jamie. I think you make a good argument for the existence of a new Delirium and like I said in the other thread, I hope Noel produces one.
    I've ridden The One but only in 8 inch downhill mode with a 888 dual crown fork. It was amazing and I don't know if any amount of DHizing would make the Delirium quite as DH specific as far a geometry, bb height, travel, etc.

But like qbert said.... in AM/FR mode I'm not sure the One is nearly as focused as the Delirium. BB is too low for much pedalling in really rocky terrain. I think the Canfield suspension design is very good. It is super smooth and active on rough descents and while pedalling but is still quite efficient.

Like others have said, I'd put Canfield right up there with Turner and Knolly as far as great small companies to deal with.
    The other company I would put in that category that still makes a 6-7" AM/FR bike is Nicholai.
    Last edited by KRob; 02-26-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Yebo Numzaan
    I test rode "the One" at Interbike Demo day in LV in 2009. Same day i rode a DT for the first time. It had a DHX5 and a Totem. I recall that was the only bike on which i managed to clean the short / steep technical climb up from the shuttle drop off to the top of the hill. The suspension was super active and the rear wheel really stuck to the loose ground. I dont know if i would want to do longer rides / climbs with such an active suspension. On the descent I also noticed the bike was super active / plush - maybe too much so for me. That DT I rode that day actually felt too firm. Both are awesome bikes and awesome companies with owners who really know how to ride bikes. Doesnt get better than that.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    For me when I think of the changes I'd like The One have it would be something similar to what the Chilcoltin offers.(then the bro's it wouldn't call it The One) But that has a lot to do with the 2011 frame I have. I've been on my 2011 frame for close to two years, I've made small changes (offset bushings, different sizes of both shock's & forks, air & coil) and learned ALOT about the characteristics of The One. The one thing that you need to focus on is suspension set up. And by the looks of this Knolly forum a pretty solid setup/understanding of the 4x4 platform is also imperative to get the best possible performance (think Avalanche, CCDB) from a Knolly. It's what your buying into when your spending $2400+ on a frame, be ready to learn about and spend time on that particular frames platform to get the absolute best from that frame. (less pedal strikes!)

The 2012 The One has a 14" bb with a HA of 65d @ 565mm. It has addressed the issues that the 2011 had, while still remaining to be The One (building from AM to light DH race).

If you end up with The One your buying a frame with a inherent DH pedigree.

Mate, it seems that your spending a lot of time (and rightly so) trying to make a decision, though because you've already spent time on a D I'd say it's time to try something new.....The One or a Chilcotin, not too many other Company's come close in comparison.

My buddy had a DT, Delirium and is now on The One, I'll see if he can post up his impartial opinions.
    Last edited by bigcrs; 02-27-2013 at 08:27 PM.
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    For me when I think of the changes I'd like The One have it would be something similar to what the Chilcoltin offers.(then the bro's it wouldn't call it The One) But that has a lot to do with the 2011 frame I have. I've been on my 2011 frame for close to two years, I've made small changes (offset bushings, different sizes of both shock's & forks, air & coil) and learned ALOT about the characteristics of The One. The one thing that you need to focus on is suspension set up. And by the looks of this Knolly forum a pretty solid setup/understanding of the 4x4 platform is also imperative to get the best possible performance (think Avalanche, CCDB) from a Knolly. It's what your buying into when your spending $2400+ on a frame, be ready to learn about and spend time on that particular frames platform to get the absolute best from that frame. (less pedal strikes!)

The 2012 The One has a 14" bb with a HA of 65d @ 565mm. It has addressed the issues that the 2011 had, while still remaining to be The One (building from AM to light DH race).

If you end up with The One your buying a frame with a inherent DH pedigree.

Mate, it seems that your spending a lot of time (and rightly so) trying to make a decision, though because you've already spent time on a D I'd say it's time to try something new.....The One or a Chilcotin, not too many other Company's come close in comparison.

My buddy had a DT, Delirium and is now on The One, I'll see if he can post up his impartial opinions.

that would be cool if he would give his thoughts on both...
    as for suspension, i would be running a bos ndee 180mm fork. and probably a ccdb, coil. not to sure about the ccdb air. that would be the next thing for me to research.

yes lol i seem to be taking my time lol. to me it's a lot of money to drop on a new frame, so i want to be sure i make the correct choice.
    thanks for your opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks to everyone else who have replied to.... lots of great info / advice. im even more confused now, lol. am seriously considering a podium on singlecrown 180 fork now.

mtbr member
    Just finished reading the 8 page 2012 Canfield Bros. The One thread after seeing bigcrs' post here. Sounds like they've addressed the one shortcoming(for rocky pedaling AM) I could see with the One (low bottom bracket)without sacrificing anything in its mini DH/FR capablities.

You know I'm a big time knomer but if I were in need of a new bike like the Delirium I'd have to seriously look at the One (especially without a new Delirium forthcoming). Pretty impressive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Just finished reading the 8 page 2012 Canfield Bros. The One thread after seeing bigcrs' post here. Sounds like they've addressed the one shortcoming(for rocky pedaling AM) I could see with the One (low bottom bracket)without sacrificing anything in its mini DH/FR capablities.

You know I'm a big time knomer but if I were in need of a new bike like the Delirium I'd have to seriously look at the One (especially without a new Delirium forthcoming). Pretty impressive.
    yes mate,,, thats where my mind is at right now.... if truth be told, i did have my heart set on a new delirium, having been on a dt since 09. and having a very short limited time on a 11 delirium, i was really really looking forward to the new one.
    from the short time i spent on the 2011 delirium, it felt great, more improved than my dt. and my skill and confidence grew on that bike. so i was really looking forward to an even more improved version. ( and still am fingers crossed)

i believe they did make a few subtle changes / improvements to the 2012 one. and i like what i hear about the bike and the brothers customer service. when i was in whistler in september i had a quick chat with vin, their sales guy, he was super friendly and answerd my questions about the one. it looks good, and all the reviews say it's good to. but like yourself, im a huuuuuuuuuge knolly fan. and dont want to take a step back, to me on a limited income/ buget it's a huge amount of cash to drop on a new bike. so i want to be dam sure i make the right choice, hence all my questions and research at this stage.

Perpetual Hack
    D

Have you thought about finding a cherry Delirium and building that up?
    I'm still beating on my 2010 and lovin it. I also have a 2009 that my son has taken over, so am still fresh on the differences...
    Both bikes are still on original bearings and are both still as tight and straight as the day I opened the frame box.

Or have you considered going Single Crown Podium?

One other thing to look at is Nicolai - especially as they will do custom geometry and if you talk nice, will even do customs with design elements from various models....

Just throwing it out there...

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    D

Have you thought about finding a cherry Delirium and building that up?
    I'm still beating on my 2010 and lovin it. I also have a 2009 that my son has taken over, so am still fresh on the differences...
    Both bikes are still on original bearings and are both still as tight and straight as the day I opened the frame box.

Or have you considered going Single Crown Podium?

One other thing to look at is Nicolai - especially as they will do custom geometry and if you talk nice, will even do customs with design elements from various models....

Just throwing it out there...

michael
    see post #14. he's considering the single crown podium. as far as nicolai, having seen more than a few people on the forums complaining about their custom frames being off, i'd stay away from them considering the risk and the cost. and i say that as a former nicolai owner, great bikes but their custom stuff needs better qc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i had the option of taking a second hand delirium 2 years ago when i had my issues with the d that i had, i was really hoping to have a new bike. hence me waiting for this long for the new d. now that the d isnt being released it's back to the drawing board. i really want to stay with knolly if i can, as i really like their bikes. hence me considering the podium on a single crown set up.
    i have also considerd nicolai, they were gonna be one of my top choices, knolly canfield or nicolai.
    ive heard good things about nicolai, and was aware of their custom option, think it's 500 quid extra, i was also gonna consider the pinion gearbox thing, but then i saw how much they were lol. thats when i decided it was between knolly and canfield. i really like the look of the new podium, and am swaying towards that.

i wasnt aware of any bad reports on nicolai, but then to be fair i havnt really researched them, only what ive heard by word of mouth from people that own them,

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: dt/delirium canfield the one,

I'd trade my Norco Range for a Chilcotin; and I love my bike.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Delirian,
    What type of riding are you doing most of the time?

Are you looking for a park bike or a bike you can ride trail and park?

If I remember correctly you make a couple trips to Whistler every year.

If you aren't riding DH that much maybe consider a Chilcoltin and rent a Podium for the DH days.

Best of luck getting things sorted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    this is why im being so indecisive at the mo....
    to be totally honest, and realistic, i dont really have any use for a full on dh bike. at home here in the uk, ( northwest. manchester) i mostly ride my chromag stylus. i only use my dt as a whistler play bike. so the new bike would be a whistler play bike.
    when im in whistler i dont like to limit myself or catagorise my self. i ride anything. im quite happy beasting out park laps. tight techy trails jump trails, and flow trails. i will attempt them all. on my last trip i even ventured ono the doubble blacks that have always scared the crap out of me beofre. so now my skill level and confidance has grown, im hitting bigger stuff hence my toying with more travel, and the podium.
    i also love the xc in whistler. we (mybrother and me) usually hit the park in the morn/ early afternoon. then arround 2pmish after a spot of lunch go hit some xc.
    im kind of thinking at the mo of possible podium, then maybe look at a cheapish second hand 5" trail bike. depending on financies lol.
    though having said that. there are now a few bikeparks opened within in a few hours from me, antur stiniog in north wales. and revolution bike park, so i could get some use from a dh sled.