mtbr member

drivetrain/transmission for chilcotin

hi! im building a chilcotin but need some advice on drivetrain parts and their compatibility with the frame. ive picked these initially:

Race Face Turbine 10 Speed (24-36)
    Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Cassette (11-36)
    SRAM X9 10spd
    SRAM X9 Type 2 10spd Medium length
    Shimano XT FD-M785-E2 (E-type direct mount)
    KMC X10 SL 10 Speed

will these go together ok and/or should i make any changes?
    its the first time going ten speed so dont know for sure if my ratios are good for climbing.
    Last edited by cfrench; 12-31-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Knollician
    That is a good looking build. I have both 10 speed and 9 speed, and still prefer the 9 speed stuff. No real reason other than I know the ratios so much better and seem to be able to find the right gear. With the setup you have, you won't be missing anything, but it may take a bit of adjustment to find the right gear.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    That is a good looking build. I have both 10 speed and 9 speed, and still prefer the 9 speed stuff. No real reason other than I know the ratios so much better and seem to be able to find the right gear. With the setup you have, you won't be missing anything, but it may take a bit of adjustment to find the right gear.
    Hi tiSS'er, been in the background reading lots of your posts (hope that doesnt sound to creepy ). Thanks for the feedback. Is there another front mech you can recommend...also i notice that the direct mount front mechs come in two flavours, i.e. they can be 'high' or 'low' mount...which one do i pick for this set-up?

Just spotted the 100g difference between the SRAM PG1090 cassette and the XT so edited the original post to XT.

Knomer
    You have already selected the correct front derailleur. Choose no other derailleur.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchcr View Post
    Hi tiSS'er, been in the background reading lots of your posts (hope that doesnt sound to creepy ). Thanks for the feedback. Is there another front mech you can recommend...also i notice that the direct mount front mechs come in two flavours, i.e. they can be 'high' or 'low' mount...which one do i pick for this set-up?

Just spotted the 100g difference between the SRAM PG1090 cassette and the XT so edited the original post to XT.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Dusty, what's the correct q-factor for the Chilcotin?

Thanks.