mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Dorado on a Chili?

Anyone ever thought of or put a Dorado in the lower travel setting (180mm) on a Chilcotin? I know the Chili is cleared for 180, but what about a dual crown?

I'm building my Chili as a park bike and was going to go with a X-fusion Metric but a good deal on a Dorado came up.

Thoughts or opinions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KineticFear View Post
    Anyone ever thought of or put a Dorado in the lower travel setting (180mm) on a Chilcotin? I know the Chili is cleared for 180, but what about a dual crown?

I'm building my Chili as a park bike and was going to go with a X-fusion Metric but a good deal on a Dorado came up.

Thoughts or opinions?
    Yes it would be absolutely fine if i'm right in saying the axle to crown on the dorado at 180 is 567mm...that's only 12mm more than spec'd A2C on Knolly site for 160mm forks.

Make sure the fork has bumpers on it so the stantions don't hit the frame during oversteer or you could break the frame if you crashed.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    if you run it in the steep mode with the dorados at 180 it would have a HA = 66deg
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    I would give Knolly a call. There is a lot more to a fork than the A2C.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I would give Knolly a call. There is a lot more to a fork than the A2C.
    what you thinkin of?

I agree though a call to Knolly would be wise.

They work on a spesh enduro, looking at the geo difference cant see why there would be a problem...
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

Just roll it......
    I think intended use is the key component to consider here. The intended use of a DH fork (at any travel setting) seems not to be what the Chilcotin is designed to do.

Can a Chilcotin work in a bike park setting? Sure, I guess...in a pinch. Is it a bike park bike? Not in my opinion....not if you're monster trucking stuff like you'd do with a proper DH rig.

Slap the Dorado on a Podium, instead. My two pesos.

EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    what you thinkin of?

I agree though a call to Knolly would be wise.

They work on a spesh enduro, looking at the geo difference cant see why there would be a problem...
    I could be completely wrong but the way I see it... The Chilcotin can handle a 180 of single crown stress but a dual crown would add significantly different stresses. And unless the bike was designed with a DC in mind I would keep it single.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    KineticFear ... email/phone Knolly ... the guys raise good points ...
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess in my original post my main concern was the stresses being applied to the frame as single crown stresses vary for dual crown stresses. I'll contact the Knolly guys and see what they have to say about it.

With concern to the Chili not being park worthy, I completely disagree. I've had 2 Podiums (2011 and 2013) and it's a hell of a bike and great for when I was racing DH but its a pig at the bike parks I go to, mostly Highland and Mountain Creek. I rode my Chili at Kingdom Trails bike park it was the most fun I have ever had and keep in mind this was with a 2014 Pike and a chain-guideless setup (my normal AM setup ~29.5lbs).

I have full faith that the Chili can handle what I throw at it especially now that I have a Avy tuned coil on the back. I'll send an email off now and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If I wanted to keep the bike as versatile as possible it would seem like the 180 SC would be the right choice, but then again its going to be a park bike and the Warden will become my AM bike...decisions

mtbr member
    If I wanted to keep the bike as versatile as possible it would seem like the 180 SC would be the right choice, but then again its going to be a park bike and the Warden will become my AM bike...decisions
    if you want to keep it light theres always the 170mm marz 55 evo ti...you can get the ava cartridge for it aswell to match the shock

keep us posted on knollys advice on the dc vs sc stresses
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    I am holding out for the Metric. I have been on a coil Vengeance for 1.5 years and it is an amazing fork.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

26 might be available

Was told 2 months for the larger offset Metric on the last call

mtbr member
    larger offset being the 46mm? are you planning on running a 27.5 front wheel?

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yeah, supposedly the 650b offset has 4mm more tire clearance than the Veng. Mid December I was told the 26 might be back in stock @ now. Don't have one yet, still haven't decided what I'm gonna do

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I spoke with X-Fusion a lot about the Metric and the regular 42mm offset will fit both a 26 and 27.5 wheel. The difference between the 26/27.5 and the 27.5 specific version is that the offset is 46mm as stated above.

The 42mm offset Metric is available now, if you can get your hands on one. The 46mm one should be out in a few months.

I also received an email back from Knolly, putting a dual crown on the Chili will void the warranty. So I guess I'm going with a Metric!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input guys. I guess in my original post my main concern was the stresses being applied to the frame as single crown stresses vary for dual crown stresses. I'll contact the Knolly guys and see what they have to say about it.

With concern to the Chili not being park worthy, I completely disagree. I've had 2 Podiums (2011 and 2013) and it's a hell of a bike and great for when I was racing DH but its a pig at the bike parks I go to, mostly Highland and Mountain Creek. I rode my Chili at Kingdom Trails bike park it was the most fun I have ever had and keep in mind this was with a 2014 Pike and a chain-guideless setup (my normal AM setup ~29.5lbs).

I have full faith that the Chili can handle what I throw at it especially now that I have a Avy tuned coil on the back. I'll send an email off now and see what they say.

I'm with you...the Chili can do it all. Here is a chili pic. The Podium does the chunkier, steeper stuff with more ease and stability, however, the Chili is incredible and worthy of it all. I can't believe you're getting rid of that Podium though. That bike is nuts and you have one of the coolest looking builds I've seen!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  143.0 KB
    Last edited by mayha; 01-13-2014 at 07:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I spoke with X-Fusion a lot about the Metric and the regular 42mm offset will fit both a 26 and 27.5 wheel. The difference between the 26/27.5 and the 27.5 specific version is that the offset is 46mm as stated above.
    That extra 4mm vertical tire clearance is definitely needed for the new Conti sizes (basically 28" rubbers)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    I'm with you...the Chili can do it all. Here is a chili pic. The Podium does the chunkier, steeper stuff with more ease and stability, however, the Chili is incredible and worthy of it all. I can't believe you're getting rid of that Podium though. That bike is nuts and you have one of the coolest looking builds I've seen!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  143.0 KB
    Thanks man! Your making it hard for me to let go of the Podium but I know the Chili can handle most of what the Podium can besides chunk and whatnot. I know that NE-Style drop is not small, and your on a Chili!