mtbr member

D'oh... that's gonna leave a mark!

Operator error...

I over-corrected on a steep, loose downhill chute, the right rear made contact with trail-side brush on this Santa Monica Mountains trail overlooking Malibu and I got launched over the handlebars. I landed heavily on my left shoulder, breaking my left clavicle.

POV Screen Capture Point of Impact
    D'oh... that's gonna leave a mark!-pov-impact.jpg

D'oh... that's gonna leave a mark!-broken-left-clavicle.jpg

I knew immediately my collar bone was broken... did this once before during my Moto-X racing days in the early 80's. Luckily no other injuries to me or my Chilcotin. Surprisingly, I was able to ride the 5 miles to the trail-head with my group before driving to the ER.

We all know and accept the risk every time we saddle up. Unfortunately, the timing of this injury is extra painful. My scheduled week in Brian Head over Labor Day with the wife will now be a healing and hiking vacation, not the planned Utah mountain biking adventure.

MC MasterShake
    Bummer man! I hate when injuries ruin a trip.

Happened to me a few years back on lap1 of a 24 hour race. I thought my summer was ruined but I was back on the bike the following weekend. I had no pain as long as my arms didn't go above my shoulders so I plushed out my fork and rode XC for 6 to 8 weeks.

Now when I broke my Scapula during day2 of an 8 day trip in BC that almost put me over the edge. No biking for 6 weeks. Amazing how weak you can get in 6 weeks.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

Just roll it......
    The good news is yours is sitting remarkably well...you don't see them looking that "nice" very often after a break.

I feel your pain. Just healing up from mine - week 5....they go fast and I get my follow up x ray on Monday. I opted out of surgery as it was sitting "ok". I hope I don't regret that decision, but I wasn't looking forward to getting surgery again (2x on my other one).

I had Airwreck, Whodaphuck and Kidwoo in town during this period with the intention of riding Whistler with them and, of course, missed Crankworx for the first time ever. Ooh well, sh!t happens!

EB

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Crushed T4-T6 on the big gap on Cruel & Unusual weekend before last. Went to the ER at Winter Park, then directly to Denver Health where they fused T3-T8 with a rod and Home Depot full of screws. Looks like I'll be in bed for a few weeks and 4+ months off the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpaints View Post
    Operator error...

I over-corrected on a steep, loose downhill chute, the right rear made contact with trail-side brush on this Santa Monica Mountains trail overlooking Malibu and I got launched over the handlebars. I landed heavily on my left shoulder, breaking my left clavicle.

POV Screen Capture Point of Impact
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POV Impact.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	825947

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken Left Clavicle.jpg 
Views:	1461 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	825946

I knew immediately my collar bone was broken... did this once before during my Moto-X racing days in the early 80's. Luckily no other injuries to me or my Chilcotin. Surprisingly, I was able to ride the 5 miles to the trail-head with my group before driving to the ER.

We all know and accept the risk every time we saddle up. Unfortunately, the timing of this injury is extra painful. My scheduled week in Brian Head over Labor Day with the wife will now be a healing and hiking vacation, not the planned Utah mountain biking adventure.
    Man sorry to hear about your injury, hope your back at er soon enough. The only time one should see a Knolly bike with both wheels pointing towards the sun is in a Garret Buehler video.

mtbr member
    sorry to hear dude - heal up! I broke mine this spring after the first 2 weeks your golden ;-)
    use the off time for some bike maintenance ;-)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    Crushed T4-T6 on the big gap on Cruel & Unusual weekend before last. Went to the ER at Winter Park, then directly to Denver Health where they fused T3-T8 with a rod and Home Depot full of screws. Looks like I'll be in bed for a few weeks and 4+ months off the bike.
    I'm glad you were in your leatt brace.

Heal up brother. I suppose driving to ATX for a party this weekend doesn't sound too appealing, but the invite is out there.

Just roll it......
    On that note, my Leatt is what likely broke my collarbone. I landed squarely on top of my head and I don't "think" I hit my shoulder at all. Hard to say as I got knocked out for a sec or two. Don't want to even think about what would've happened without it.

B Gillespie....dude healing vibes your way bud. That does NOT sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    I'm glad you were in your leatt brace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    On that note, my Leatt is what likely broke my collarbone. I landed squarely on top of my head and I don't "think" I hit my shoulder at all. Hard to say as I got knocked out for a sec or two. Don't want to even think about what would've happened without it.

Thanks for the healing vibes EB. Steve Hall and Mycra say your a cool cat but your gear stinks real bad.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post

I have a freind that attributed his collarbone break to his leatt as well. He is now rocking the OMEGA brace - I tried on the EVS R4, Altas and Omega brace and settled on the Omega. Wore it all last trip at Trestle.

Most notable is just how many riders are opting for neck protection on the mountains.