Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sherwin24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    353

    Describe "Rides like a Knolly"

    Can it be explained in words or does it have to be felt?

    I don't believe I have ever seen one around here and no dealers appear to be anywhere within the Midwest. So demoing isn't really an option. I ride a 27.5" Remedy now, perhaps someone has ridden them both and could compare how the feel is different between them.

    Realizing each bike (Endo, Warden) etc. is made for a different purpose, from what it sounds like they all have a similar "feel".

    I want a fun, snappy, good climbing bike which the Endo seems to be. I know the 27.5 is new and few have ridden them yet, but it is said to have the "feel". Might just have to order one to find out if it is what in my mind I think it will be.
    Last edited by sherwin24; 07-14-2015 at 08:24 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,646
    It is hard to describe and I'm not very good at describing bike feel to others, but I would say it's in the geometry (which many manufacturers are catching up with lately) with relatively long reach and low stack that allows you to really rail the fast descents in a good centered to over-the-bars attack position; It's in the active, plush rear suspension that both gobbles up super chunk and stays glued to the ground for loose, chunky tech climbing; It's in the ultra stiff frame and linkage pivots that allow the bikes to track very accurately through rough corners; And finally it's in the quality of the design and build that makes Knollys last a long time, staying tight and working like they did when they were new years down the road.

    I'm sure I'm missing something but that's a start. Maybe others will chime in.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,157
    on log skinnys the knolly is really easy to track a straight line on due to 2 things. not all bikes have this quality, others can feel sketchy/wobbly. that's because 1) the suspension system makes the bike quite planted and 2) lateral stiffness. tracking a straight line is easier on bikes like this. this same planted characteristic is a benefit when going up tech climbs but obviously not so good on fire roads unless you pile on the lsc. people often call knollys 'point and shoot', this is because the suspension is both really active and really good at gobbling up the rough and this characteristic helps stay on the line you choose even if it is really choppy. in these conditions knolly maintains traction. knollys ride less like todays enduro race bikes and more like big mountain bikes. they jump well and are quite playful, I enjoy pushing the back end out from side to side (like doerfling) on steep tech corners, after which the bike regains composure well when I need it to (due to the same characteristic mentioned above that makes it track the line you point it at)...and its this behaviour aswell that makes me call knollys 'predictable'. that's what 'rides like a knolly' is to me.

    set up is key to get the most out of a Knolly (more so than some other designs) but worth it. take time to dial her in properly.

    HTH

  4. #4
    Braaap
    Reputation: DirtMerchantBicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    424
    First word that comes to mind is traction...gobs of it, both up and down.

    Ditching the DRCV will be a huge upgrade, IMO.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    229
    To me, "rides like a Knolly" is about the geometry and body position. It puts your center of gravity between the wheels, in good attack position, but gives you the freedom to move fore and aft quickly an easily should the terrain require it. Combine that with the super active suspension (which plays very nicely with LSC and platform damping), stiff frame design, slack HTA, steep STA (both of which are becoming much more common these days), and a low BB height. This adds up to a feeling of one-ness with the machine. Most bikes seem to feel like you ride on top of it, some feel like you are riding off the back, but with Knollys it feels like you are in the bike. The bike is an extension of my body, similarly to how you feel when driving a car that you are very familiar with.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sherwin24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    353
    Thanks for the great replies! It was KRobs review of the new Endo that first turned me on to Knolly, so thank you for that KRob. It is evident in all of your descriptions the love for these bikes, which tells me more about the bikes, the company, and their philosophy in design that really is what gets me. After quite a bit of demoing, I thought the Remedy was the bike for me, and I can't blame the bike for it. It does everything I ask of it, but it lacks that shazzam, the feeling of wanting to attack everything and turn the trails into a playground. Coming off of riding 29" for four years the Remedy was a move toward riding for pure fun. A year of riding it 3 times a week I have been able to really form a solid idea of what I want in a bike. What you guys have said sounds like Knolly is going to be it.

    Thanks again for all the feedback. Considering the Remedy has rarely left me wanting more travel, it looks like the wait for a new Endo is about to begin.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,646
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin24 View Post
    Thanks for the great replies! It was KRobs review of the new Endo that first turned me on to Knolly, so thank you for that KRob. It is evident in all of your descriptions the love for these bikes, which tells me more about the bikes, the company, and their philosophy in design that really is what gets me. After quite a bit of demoing, I thought the Remedy was the bike for me, and I can't blame the bike for it. It does everything I ask of it, but it lacks that shazzam, the feeling of wanting to attack everything and turn the trails into a playground. Coming off of riding 29" for four years the Remedy was a move toward riding for pure fun. A year of riding it 3 times a week I have been able to really form a solid idea of what I want in a bike. What you guys have said sounds like Knolly is going to be it.

    Thanks again for all the feedback. Considering the Remedy has rarely left me wanting more travel, it looks like the wait for a new Endo is about to begin.

    You're welcome. And welcome to the Knolly family!
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    141
    Just a side. Heading up 50 Shades of Green in Squamish today on my Warden on my way to Rupert. I came across a group of young shredders (I'm guessing 7-8 year olds) and as I passed them one of them yelled out "Knolly Knation". Thought it was pretty cool. J

  9. #9
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,342
    One of the best rear suspension designs for soaking up harsh stuff I've ever ridden and a pretty efficient pedaler as well !
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sherwin24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    353
    Decisions, decisions. Seems black has been my color for the last few bikes, going to have to spice it up this time. There seems to be confusion as to the actual colors available, I am guessing the Knolly site would be the one to trust. Really like that dayglo yellow but that doesn't appear to be a production color. And damn that red is sexy, but raw can go well with any color bits and parts.

    Then there is sizing. Anything to note there with Knolly's in general? At 5'11" with 32" inseam and long arms I would imagine large would be right in my wheelhouse. Biggest issue I run into is the seat tube fitting a dropper on bikes. My 19.5" Remedy is a few mm shorter than the endo and a 125mm dropper is almost slammed. Will the steeper seat tube of an Endo help in that regard or not even affect it?

    From what I can tell these won't be showing up until sometime in August? Six weeks out from ACL reconstruction and just got clearance to ride smooth stuff last week. So by the time I would get the bike built up would be right around the time I could actually hit the trails. Can't think of a better way to come back than with a sweet new ride.

    Thanks again everyone. All of your accolades was enough to let me know this is the right choice. Having looked around the forums more and seeing Noel, Dustybottoms, possibly a few others from Knolly actually active on here, is just like having real Canadian maple syrup on my flapjacks.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin24 View Post
    Decisions, decisions. Seems black has been my color for the last few bikes, going to have to spice it up this time. There seems to be confusion as to the actual colors available, I am guessing the Knolly site would be the one to trust. Really like that dayglo yellow but that doesn't appear to be a production color. And damn that red is sexy, but raw can go well with any color bits and parts.

    Then there is sizing. Anything to note there with Knolly's in general? At 5'11" with 32" inseam and long arms I would imagine large would be right in my wheelhouse. Biggest issue I run into is the seat tube fitting a dropper on bikes. My 19.5" Remedy is a few mm shorter than the endo and a 125mm dropper is almost slammed. Will the steeper seat tube of an Endo help in that regard or not even affect it?

    From what I can tell these won't be showing up until sometime in August? Six weeks out from ACL reconstruction and just got clearance to ride smooth stuff last week. So by the time I would get the bike built up would be right around the time I could actually hit the trails. Can't think of a better way to come back than with a sweet new ride.

    Thanks again everyone. All of your accolades was enough to let me know this is the right choice. Having looked around the forums more and seeing Noel, Dustybottoms, possibly a few others from Knolly actually active on here, is just like having real Canadian maple syrup on my flapjacks.

    I've got a Large Warden. I'm 5' 11" with a 34" inseam. I run my seat 30.5" from the center of my cranks. My Thomson 125 dropper has 2.5" clearance to the seat tube clamp.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,646
    Quote Originally Posted by YogiKudo View Post
    Just a side. Heading up 50 Shades of Green in Squamish today on my Warden on my way to Rupert. I came across a group of young shredders (I'm guessing 7-8 year olds) and as I passed them one of them yelled out "Knolly Knation". Thought it was pretty cool. J
    Very cool. Cool of you to be spreading the word just by riding your Knolly. And just hearing the words "Fifty Shades of Green and Rupert" make me really want to be in Squamish, right now. Jealous.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Very cool. Cool of you to be spreading the word just by riding your Knolly. And just hearing the words "Fifty Shades of Green and Rupert" make me really want to be in Squamish, right now. Jealous.
    I get a kick out of the young kids out on the trail with their group leader aka babysitter. Half the bikes are two sizes too large. Doesn't seem to bother them while we're sweating the 40mm or 50mm stem decision. They were cheering me as I was climbimg. I guess at 54 they thought I needed a helping hand.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,646
    I think there's one color for the new Endorphin that's still unannounced. Raw, Black, and Red are set. One other is still undecided last I heard.

    I'm 5'11.5" with a 33.5" cycling inseam (32 pants inseam) and the large Endorphin fit perfectly with a half inch to an inch of post showing on the Lev 150 post that was on the bike I demoed IIRC.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sherwin24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    353
    Alright thanks guys, looks like the large will work then. I'm beginning to feel like a kid at Thanksgiving, waiting for x-mas to show up haha.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sherwin24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    353
    The wait has officially begun.

    I want to thank Ethan at Dirt Merchant Bicycles for helping me get on a new Knolly. Friendly guy to work with, prompt in replying and answering question, all around great experience.

    Thanks to everyone else here too, you really helped sell me on Knolly! Looking forward to some kids screaming Knolly Knation as I ride by haha.





    Looking forward to opening that box and seeing a blue Endo with yellow lettering on the downtube and orange on the top tube.
    Last edited by sherwin24; 07-23-2015 at 07:09 AM.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,157
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin24 View Post
    Looking forward to opening that box and seeing a blue Endo with yellow lettering on the downtube and orange on the top tube.
    that sounds really sweet, the blue knolly use is stunning, be so cool with yellow n orange too...mind let us see it when its built up!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sherwin24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    353
    Will do cfrench. I have yet to see the color, but in my mind it's beautiful. It's my first non black bike in a long time, not even sure how to go about picking out bits and pieces, seems it would be a shame to not add some zing to it.

Similar Threads

  1. Knolly "SPIKE BIKE"
    By mayha in forum Knolly
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-09-2014, 07:42 AM
  2. Describe the Transition "ride" for me...
    By titusquasi in forum Transition Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 03:40 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 04:08 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 03:40 PM
  5. Can you describe the "feel" of a material?
    By speed856 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 03:08 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •