Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Delirium update?

Any word on the status of a redesigned delirium?

mtbr member
    Last I heard it will be 2014 before we see a new Delirium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Was hoping for something a bit sooner...
    Oh well, it'll be worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i have been waiting patiently for 2 years for the new delirium to come out. i was hoping it was gonna be out in may this year, but when i emailed knolly a few weeks back to enquire about the deliriums release, i was told they have no immediate plans to launch it not this year. maybe 2014.
    maybe noel or dusty could shed some light on this. as i am really really wanting a new bike lol.

Knomer
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    i have been waiting patiently for 2 years for the new delirium to come out. i was hoping it was gonna be out in may this year, but when i emailed knolly a few weeks back to enquire about the deliriums release, i was told they have no immediate plans to launch it not this year. maybe 2014.
    maybe noel or dusty could shed some light on this. as i am really really wanting a new bike lol.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    This is correct.
    We already know he's been waiting and wants a new bike! I imagine a more specific answer is what the man seeks.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The 2010 Delirium is still the best bike I've ever ridden, so I'm more than happy to just keep riding that haha.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks for confirming that dusty,,,

mtbr member
    This confirms what I speculated a while back. I'm not sure when (or if) a new delirium will be released.

I think that due to the capability of the current crop of 6" am bikes and the shift in how trails are built (more smooth transitions, fewer hucks to flat, etc) this already small niche has shrunken to microscopic.

Not saying that folks like delirian, Dom, dude, garret beulher, and others don't need a delirium, but many who used to be in the DT/Delirium market are perfectly matched with the Chilcotin, including me.

I hope he builds a new delirium.....and I know it will be the best in its class (whatever that means) when he does. But I wouldn't hold my breath and I'd take good care of my current delirium while I was waiting.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    this already small niche has shrunken to microscopic.
    Bingo.

Biking Like Crazy!
    I like Bingo!

Oh BTW, if you make the new Delirium 650B compatible THEN the small niche will go to macroscopic! wink! wink!
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    I like Bingo!Oh BTW, if you make the new Delirium 650B compatible THEN the small niche will go to macroscopic! wink! wink!
    Would be the holy grail right there, IF there were actually 650b tires other than HD.. like 2.4 BB, MM, DHF etc

U $ 4 O?
    Without actual tires, and with the Chilly being such a success....

650 D sounds awesome though

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Alright then, Chilcotin update. Give it the Delirium's 4xFour (no seat tube pivots) and Podium's fancy one-piece chainstay, along w/ 10mm more travel. There's your diverse product line.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Only time will tell....just like the 650B.

I agree with the general sentiment that AM bikes and trail bikes finally have the correct geometry making them more aggressive and more capable than before. Confidence has improved allowing for shorter travel bikes to handle trail features. And though the trail obstacles have gotten smoother, the number of trail obstacles have increased, gaps increased, and the speeds have gotten much faster. Can the modern AM bikes handle this increased abuse? With gaps getting bigger (and bigger), it is likely that there will be more "cased" landings.

As I mentioned in another post, I agree the (heavy) freeride geometry is no longer needed - but a modern version of this to handle abuse is still needed, where folks pedal to the top. I consider the Delirium a modern version on this - if it could loose some pounds, while maintaining strength and confidence - awesome. This is the key - can it handle the abuse, while still being pedal friendly. This is what the Delirium provides me. Is it overkill on some trails - yes. However, I love being on it when the other trails occur.

I like MR. Whlr suggestion, as it is a improved Delirium.

Thoughts about what the Chilcotin can handle have changed since its introduction, which is great. Initially it wasn't intended for park riding, but that has changed. There were some initial comments by Woodyak that were followed by Noel's agreement. If the Chilcotin is the future bike for most of us? How much has this changed in what its intent is? How much abuse can the Chilcotin really handle? Is it Delirium replaceable?

An interesting observation as of recent, we have been playing a lot at our jump area. The weather has been great and dirt is good, so everyone is coming out. However, 90% of the folks riding these jumps are on full DH bikes. Trust me most of them don't need DH bikes, but the trend is there. It seems that some of these people chose to a pedal DH - yikes. Whereas we rode there the other day, but pedaled to get to there and rode other trails along the way. Is the future predominantly defined between AM or DH?

It is interesting to speculate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    some very intresting points raised here,,, i suppose now i can look at it from, and understand it from a manufacturers point of view rather than a potential customers point of view. i suppose the market is very small now for these kind of bikes, given the technological advances in frame building, and the fact these new trail bikes are much more capable, then i can see why noel has no imediate plan to launch a delirium.

hmmmmmmmm maybe a podium is on the cards then for me ha ha ha.

Knomer
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    then i can see why noel has no immediate plan to launch a delirium.

hmmmmmmmm maybe a podium is on the cards then for me ha ha ha.
    You're definitely on track here. Since both the Chilcotin and Podium are cleared for a 180mm fork, the potential for crossover builds create an awful lot of overlap into the 'pedal-to-freeride' category. I break it down this way:

If you want a bike with 2 front chainrings because you do 'x' amount of climbing to get to the goods: choose Chilcotin with a 180 fork with 1.125 steertube and a ZS lower headset cup.

If you want a bike with a single ring up front because you do more traverse riding, shuttling, or parks: choose Podium with a 180 fork.

Then when you introduce SRAM XX1 into this equation, on either bike, your setup possibilities continue to multiply.

I'm sure by the end of this summer we will start seeing some Podiums with dropper posts. When I ride my Podium at Big Bear there is about a 1/2 mile traverse back to the lifts, and it sure is a luxury to have the uninterrupted seattube, so I can jack my uncut 410 Thomson up to climbing mode for the ride out.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post

I'm sure by the end of this summer we will start seeing some Podiums with dropper posts.
    I don't feel stupid now using my dropper post on the Podium at Whistler last fall! lol

I should post pictures of my Chilcotin with the 650b's on it, but THAT would make me feel stupid! not lol
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

Perpetual Hack
    I never understood the aversion to dropper posts on big rigs.
    Unless you get dropped off at the start of the trail, and end your run at the lift line, there is always some traversal to be done.
    Whilst not a Podium, I do run my Delirium with a dropper post when riding the lifts. There is a 1+ km ride from the top of the lift line to the trails at the "Far end" of the hill. Love watching people pedaling with their knees around their ears and being totally burnt by the time they get to the trail head.

People, it is not a fashion show. Raise your seat !! if only by a couple of inches - think of your knees!!

...and yes, when I can find a large ver 1 podium in my price range, it will have a full length post and quick release until I get a dropper for it...

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Alright then, Chilcotin update. Give it the Delirium's 4xFour (no seat tube pivots) and Podium's fancy one-piece chainstay, along w/ 10mm more travel. There's your diverse product line.
    Yse, thats the ticket

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    oh.. ahh
    Last edited by Deerhill; 01-24-2014 at 11:24 AM.

mtbr member
    If the market for a Delirium is too small, what about making the new Podium adjustable? The new Podium has shorter stays, so the only thing it really needs is the ability to alter the BB height and HT angle. Bottom line, more Podium sales because it can cover a larger range of uses.

After getting my Chilcotin set up more like the Delirium used to be, they are very close in how they feel. The updated rocker/shock bolt for the Chilcotin should be enough of a durability improvement to cover the bases of the Delirium for the majority of riders.
    Last edited by bubba13; 03-18-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

Just roll it......
    I'm curious who, other than say the pro's: Doerfling or Buehler, would really push a Chilcotin hard enough to require a 180mm Delerium?

If you put an avy shock and a 180mm fork on the Chilcotin, what wouldn't people feel comfortable riding on it where the Delerium would put them over that edge? I just ask because I've ridden some legit gnarly stuff on my bike and I've not felt underbiked (with a 36, RP23, steep mode, etc.) . Mind you, I'm not talking about true DH shuttle trails, rather my FR trails in in Bellingham plus the "XC" trails in Whistler, Squamish and Pemberton.

I'm not saying some folks wouldn't buy them, but I think the gap between the Podium and Chilcotin is so narrow (depending on the build), that I'd probably focus on a different bike if I were Noel, while continuing to refine the Chili as needed.

EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    I'm curious who, other than say the pro's: Doerfling or Buehler, would really push a Chilcotin hard enough to require a 180mm Delerium?

If you put an avy shock and a 180mm fork on the Chilcotin, what wouldn't people feel comfortable riding on it where the Delerium would put them over that edge? I just ask because I've ridden some legit gnarly stuff on my bike and I've not felt underbiked (with a 36, RP23, steep mode, etc.) . Mind you, I'm not talking about true DH shuttle trails, rather my FR trails in in Bellingham plus the "XC" trails in Whistler, Squamish and Pemberton.

I'm not saying some folks wouldn't buy them, but I think the gap between the Podium and Chilcotin is so narrow (depending on the build), that I'd probably focus on a different bike if I were Noel, while continuing to refine the Chili as needed.

EB
    I asked this simple question before- can the Chilcotin handle the same abuse as the Delirium? If it can, which seems to be the general consensus, then it is a non-issue - the Chilcotin and Podium are more than adequate. If Chilcotin can't, there is room for a Delirium for those who pedal to the top and try to hit obstacles on the way down. I realize this rider segment is probably evaporating. And, it is not the riding like Doerfling and Buehler that worries me. A "non-pro" rider cases jumps, lands harder, isn't as smooth, slams into stuff, causing more abuse than the pro riders. And it isn't the occasional case, it is the repetitive case. The pros are riding tiny bikes with minimal travel at crankworx.

I have gotten better as rider because of the Delirium, which has allowed me to become smoother and more confident, but only after some mistakes. This is why most of us purchased a Knolly. Every day we push and progress we face new fears and go faster, which are fun. I rather pedal a heavier bike uphill knowing that on the downhill that my skill is the limiting factor (again taken within reason). However, we know that Noel can make a lighter, better Delirium - hence that potential reality is exciting. Speaking of reality, the mountain bike core group tends to be a bunch of older guys that still like to play in the woods, but this core has families, jobs, responsibilities so most want to ensure their safety while risking it at the same time (i.e. calculated risk).

It is cool to see that the Chilcotin can handle the abuse, and since its start, its capability has been sliding toward the more aggressive. It has even gotten to the point, where I would seriously like to try one - especially with all of the sweet builds popping up.

More information about durability will put this question to rest.
    Last edited by Dude!; 03-18-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast