No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Delirium T buildup question

Perhaps I'm years behind the times, but I just dropped a couple hundred bucks on an '09 Delirium T frame. I'm looking to build up a "technical trailbike."

I live in Arizona, so rocky chunk, steep, high-speed, some low-speed rockcrawly stuff. Might see the occasional shuttle run, but mostly pedaled so I'll need to be able to climb this thing. I plan on running a 2x10 setup.

Bike is coming with a DHX 5.0 coil, but -- if I like the rig -- I'll probably swap to an air shock.

I currently have two forks to run on this bike. Either a 2010 Marz. 55 RC3Ti (160mm travel) or a '12 Fox Vanilla 36, 180mm travel. Which fork would you choose?

Perpetual Hack
    For a trailbike, you want a shorter front-end.
    With the DT you are a bit rearward when seated, when climbing into sag, the taller front fork will not be as much fun.
    I have a DT that my son rides, and it has a 160mm custom tuned Wotan on the front and it does great as a trail-bike.
    With a 180, it turns into a downhill weapon.

If you weigh 175 or better, I would stay with coil - the DHX5 can be Avy'd if you want it custom tuned.
    I run a coil on my Delirium (CCDB) in both trail mode with a Lyric DH, or DH mode with a 66RC3EvoTi
    It makes a bigger difference than you would think on how the bike handles between the two forks.
    If you can, keep the 180 for DH/Lift/BikePark days and run the 55 for trailriding days

hth

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Yep, mykel's got it. The DT is a great chunky tech trail bike. I've ridden your back yard several times on my DT both with a 55rc3 and a 66rc3. The 55 was better for the steeper tech moves like the ones on National on SoMo and still did fine on steeper descents like Holbert, El Viejo, La Milagrosa, and Goat Camp. The 66 did fine on most climbs including Kiwannis and Goat Camp.,,,(other than the weight) but ruled the gnarly descents.

Another vote for sending the DHX to avalanche although I didn't mind the DHX-air either.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm about 190 without gear. I think I'll swap the Vanilla onto my Bottlerocket and run the 55 on the DT.

By the way, is there a dropout option to run a 142x12 rear on this thing? I just realized I'm short a 135 rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No, 142 didn't exist in 09

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yes, I realize that. Perhaps I didn't word the question properly. I was curious if Knolly had released a different set of dropouts since 142 has become more common.

Anyway, getting it put together. Need to study some photos for cable routing ideas. Oddly, the bike came with an e-type from der. and I'm using a Shimano crankset. I assembled without a spacer under the drive-side cup figuring the der. mount would function as the spacer. Seems like the cranks are pushed too far to the non-drive side now as though I still need a drive-side spacer. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Yes I'm pretty sure it requires one 2.5mm drive side spacer for RF bb and cranks.
    Ill see if I can find some pics of mine for cable routing ideas.

Here's a couple:
    Delirium T

Delrium T 2

Is the old delirium t build up thread still viewable? Should be a bunch of them in there too.
    Last edited by KRob; 03-26-2013 at 10:04 PM.