gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

delirium suspension options?

Did a 2.5 hour ride yesterday on my delirium. The first hour was decent but after that I got dropped like a bad habit by my buddies on their all mountain bikes. I definitely didn't feel underbiked on the descents (small gaps, rock slabs, and sniper shoots) but the single track climbs picked me apart. As I was suffering, I was thinking of what I could do to increase the climb ability while keeping the burliness of the bike (the first thought was to ditch the 823 and put my flows back on).
    I have a Totem coil which I was thinking I could replace with a vanilla or float which would save a little weight or go to lyric 170. My second thought was to swap out the RC4 for a Cane Creek DB air or a Fox DHX Air, or put a ti spring on my current shock.
    I am looking for any comments about either of the forks or shocks. Are the modern air shocks as good as coil? Will they make that much of a difference to the delirium's descending prowess? Does it make a difference to ride air up front and coil back or vice - versa?

mtbr member
    If you get dropped like a bad habit on single track climbs, the problem is probably with the rider, not the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I did a similar thing to my old Delirium awhile back for the same sort of reasons, I lost about 5lbs by changing to lighter parts, it ended up around the 33-34lb mark.
    Whilst it did make a difference to the climbing ability, I think you'd struggle to get a Delirium to climb like some of the lighter all mountain bikes out there, although on the plus side it'll still decend better than most.

Anyhow, I swapped out a 180 fox van and a ccdb coil for a marzocchi 55rc3 evo ti and a ccdb air, both worked really well together on the Delirium, the forks felt smoother and more controlled and the shock was a bit of a revelation after always swearing by coil shocks, it definitly suits the frame, to me it felt easily as good as the coil, theres a few others on here who have put ccdba's on deliriums and seem happy with them. Also got new wheels, lighter tyres, cranks etc. It felt a lot more lively after I'd done but was just as good if not better downhill.
    Maybe a new ccdba with a climb switch could be an idea?

MC MasterShake
    If you are at about the same fitness and skill level as your buddies and they are pushing 29 lb. AM bikes your gonna have problems keeping up with them no matter what you do with your Delirium. The Delirium was meant to point down. Yeah, it pedals well for a burly bike, but not that well. The Delirium was designed to be pointed downhill w/nice easy grinds going up.

That being said there are a few things you can do to lighten things up and make it pedal better w/o too much compromise, but you better break out your wallet
    - Lighter wheels, tires, and go tubeless. This is probably the most bank for buck (unless you go carbon). Stan's Flows w/2.3 Maxxis HR2 TR setup tubeless is a pretty nice setup that is lighter and still burly.
    - CCDBA-CS will light things up and the CS switch does a nice job of allowing you to pedal efficiently and not get killed when it gets technical.
    - Fox Float 36/Lyrik Solo would drop over .5 lbs. from their coil brethren and yet still are very burly.
    - Go 1x10 if you haven't already. That drops close to a pound and simplifies your drivetrain.
    - Get a dropper. Yeah it adds a pound but it's like adding extra gears for your legs.
    - Carbon Post, Bars, Cranks will start dropping weight while keeping burliness, but it ain't cheap.

Even if you go all out and do this your looking at about 34/35 lbs. which is still pretty heavy to be trying to keep up with your buds.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I got my Delirium down to 34 to 35 lbs by new rims (stans flows), new tires (tubeless), new bash guard, new handlebars, new stem. I run the fox 180 float up front and the dhx air in the back. It gained some pedaling ability by losing the weight. However, I got so many flats on the lighter weight tires, I had to go with heavier tires and gained back a bit of weight.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the comments/advice! I would be happy to get the bike down to ~35lbs. I had it set up as 1x10 but changed to 2x10 as most of the terrain where I live/ride requires a 2x10/9 on a bigger bike(at least for me) . I have already switched the 823/Minion wheels to a flows w/a 2.3 specialized purgatory grid on back and a 2.5 minion on the front(both tubeless). The dropper post is something that I hadn't thought about but will check it out. I'll see how that goes on the weekend. Next step is to source out a cheaper float and a CCDB air as I realize lightening up also means lightening up my bank account . But as my totem started to spew oil - again - yesterday, this seems like it might be a good time to convince my wife that I need a new fork .

This bike is my go to bike and I am super keen on its abilities and was looking for solutions to modify it without changing downhill demeanour.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    Thanks for the comments/advice! I would be happy to get the bike down to ~35lbs. I had it set up as 1x10 but changed to 2x10 as most of the terrain where I live/ride requires a 2x10/9 on a bigger bike(at least for me) . I have already switched the 823/Minion wheels to a flows w/a 2.3 specialized purgatory grid on back and a 2.5 minion on the front(both tubeless). The dropper post is something that I hadn't thought about but will check it out. I'll see how that goes on the weekend. Next step is to source out a cheaper float and a CCDB air as I realize lightening up also means lightening up my bank account . But as my totem started to spew oil - again - yesterday, this seems like it might be a good time to convince my wife that I need a new fork .

This bike is my go to bike and I am super keen on its abilities and was looking for solutions to modify it without changing downhill demeanour.
    what about no more spend on the delirium if your happy with the way it rides and buy a second hand bike for trail duties...I gave up with trying to build 'the one bike' after 4 years of trying and alot of spend...2 bikes > 1.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

Perpetual Hack
    Not going to be able to add much other than my setup.

(Before getting the Podium)

DH mode was with a 66 RC3Ti / CCDB and DT 340 / 600 with 1.5 or 2 ply tires.

XC / trail mode is 170 lyric / CCDB with Hope/819 with single ply tubeless

makes a HUGE difference, but like has been said is still a big bike and turning the pedals requires grunt

Even in light mode, i'm still sucking wind in last place especially going up, flatland i can hang - kinda... down well

michael

Was thinking an Endo this summer, however I just totalled my car by hitting a black and white holstein cow standing in the middle of the road after dark in a snow-squall.
    go figure.
    Second head-on write off in 6 months - at least i walked away from both with nothing more than a concussion, broken sternum and some bruises.
    At least i was not at fault in either.
    So i'm thinking the Endo will have to wait another year.
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    what about no more spend on the delirium if your happy with the way it rides and buy a second hand bike for trail duties...I gave up with trying to build 'the one bike' after 4 years of trying and alot of spend...2 bikes > 1.
    Too easy . I have a trail bike that gets eclipsed by the delirium. I was intent on on selling it and aiming for the one bike solution. Upgrading it a little (or buying an endorphin) may just be a better compromise.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Not going to be able to add much other than my setup.

(Before getting the Podium)

DH mode was with a 66 RC3Ti / CCDB and DT 340 / 600 with 1.5 or 2 ply tires.

XC / trail mode is 170 lyric / CCDB with Hope/819 with single ply tubeless

makes a HUGE difference, but like has been said is still a big bike and turning the pedals requires grunt

Even in light mode, i'm still sucking wind in last place especially going up, flatland i can hang - kinda... down well

michael

Was thinking an Endo this summer, however I just totalled my car by hitting a black and white holstein cow standing in the middle of the road after dark in a snow-squall.
    go figure.
    Second head-on write off in 6 months - at least i walked away from both with nothing more than a concussion, broken sternum and some bruises.
    That sucks man! Sorry to hear about your accident(s). I had briefly considered the swapping parts to get a different bikes, but with 2 grommets under 3 that takes too much time and foresight.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Heal up brother. That positivity will continue to pay off!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    for 4 years i rode round on my dt weighing in at 43lbs. it was my do it all bike, xc, trails bikepark, i even did an epic 37km slog in the chilcotins on it, like you i used to struggle on the climbs, when riding with my much fitter buddies, who all rode light weight trail bikes, the fitter ones in the group would drop me like you described your mates doing to you. but the unfit ones in the group i could stay with somtimes even pass, i run a hammerschmidt on the dt so had the equivalent of 2x9 set up. i really loved the bike and the way it climbed, and never really thought much about it when i started to struggle, i just asumed it was my lack of fitness,
    that was until this year when i sold the dt and got a podium and an endo.both bikes are built up light, podium at 35lbs, and endo at 30lbs,
    all i can say is wow. the endo is amazing, it climbs so well, i made it up climbs that i have always walked on the dt, there is so much grip, the bike surges forward with every pedal stoke, it really is that good, and it decends pretty bloody good to.

if getting another bike ( endo) is not an option then maybe a few lighter parts would help. i would look at the bos idylle sc air ( fork) and either a vipr2 or kirk (shock) and put the lighter rims back on, maybe a lighter crank to, ( raceface nextsl, or sixc)