mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Delirium got rear ended

Hey guys, I don't post much but I read and follow the forum regularly. I have had 3 Knolly's over the years. Yesterday I was driving home with friends from Snow summit bike park and we got rear ended pretty hard at 15 mph in stop and go traffic(guy never hit his brakes) with my delirium and a friends V10c on the hitch mount bike rack and the bikes go ripped out of Thule T2 rack and pushed up against 4runners back end and it smashed back of 4runner. The T2 Thule rack got ripped of the hitch. My delirium was first to be hit and smashed into the v10c which smashed into the car. The V10c has major alignment issues. My Delirium on first inspection just looked like it had scratches but both wheels are hammered from being pushed and smashed out of the ratchets on the rack.My fox 180 talas is toast cause the bushings inside seemed to have been twisted or bent and my fork doesn't even compress. Even though my bike got hit first by a car at 15 mph and then hit the v10c, visually it seems to be in alignment but its hard to tell. The delirium held up like a champ on the surface as far as I can tell and by buddies v10 carbon is hammered. Were still trying to figure out all the insurance stuff from the other driver and sorry for long boring story but my question is: just because my frame looks normal is it safe to ride? Is it a safety issue at this point because of force it was hit at in a t-bone type direction especially since all the linkage 4 bar stuff. Maybe Kevin has some input or anybody else. Has anybody else been in similar situation? Hopefully if I get insurance money I'll be getting a new podium to compliment my chili.
    thanks in advance! Brett

mtbr member
    Sux to hear. Too bad they don't make the bike anymore either not getting it replaced. I would take the insurance money, guessing it would be the claim for the cost of a podium since they don't make the D anymore, and either buy the new podium with it or buy used one on pinkbike and save some $$.
    The worst part is if you have no other bike, you are without a bike for a while. The waiting game.
    Good look. I always cringe when I have my bikes on the rear hitch when people follow close for that reason.

mtbr member
    If insurance is going to cover you for a new bike, I would say from what occurred is your bike has suffered some very serious if not catastrophic damage that cannot be repaired and the only safe and logical conclusion is to be fully compensated for a bike which is comparable to the Delirium.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Having worked at multiple bike shops and dealing with this on several occasions with customers: Scrap EVERYTHING. Seriously. Let his insurance buy you a new bike. One option is to write up a detailed summary of the bike's value and present that to the insurance company. The other option (since that bike is no longer in production) is to give the insurance company an estimate on what an equivalent replacement would cost.

If you were hit that hard it's reasonable to suspect that the bike has been damaged beyond use, even if it doesn't appear so on the surface. The last thing you want to happen is to keep riding the bike and have it fail on you at a later date. At that point you have no recourse to make an insurance claim.

mtbr member
    This same thing happened to my buddy about two months ago on his way to Oaks. He was rear ended and his rack and bike were toast. He made a complete cost breakdown of his current bike and was able to get a good chunk of change (more than 6k) to buy a new bike (a Knolly).

That being said, I would not ride that bike. It would be much safer to wait a bit and get the money from the insurance company. Don't risk it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks a lot guys for all info and help. So, i just got back from LBS (knolly dealer) and the mechanic was basically saying hes just going to write up repair work order to fix whats damaged. Seems kinda strange that some random mechanic is going to try and just band aid the bike. I asked him how is he going to know if the integrity of frame is damaged or not by being hit in that manner. He told me that measuring the triangle and pivots will tell him if its safe by seeing if there out of alignment, seems kinda strange. He said the same about my buddies v10c . Do they just want the repair work? They don't seem to want to just say bikes are not safe to ride and total them. Should I take bike elsewhere? Kinda wanted to deal with knolly dealer thinking they would know the bike better than most, but considering there wasn't one knolly in the shop I guess its not going to help! haha

TSC
    Buehliever
    Get the money, obviously. If you can keep the bike too, then keep it.

There are several non-invasive ways to check aluminum for cracks. You might want to inquire at the welding department of local trade-tech or the mechanical engineering department of a local college/university if they have any equipment to test aluminum for cracks; and, if they will do it for you. (Student projects are a great way to do things on the cheap.)

Don't ride your frame without testing! Aluminum breaks can be very sharp. If you can't find an economical way to test your frame, then take the bits you can reuse and sell the rest for scrap. (Sort of harsh--like sending your favorite horse to a glue plant.)
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Even if the alignment is good, the bike shop has no way of telling whether the frame has been compromised. It doesn't stand to reason that they would want the repair money - wouldn't they prefer selling a whole bike? Plus, it's a major liability for them if they tell you the frame is fine and then it fails.

In my experience, insurance companies are pretty good about replacing things. It costs them less to buy you a new bike now than it would if your frame fails and you sue them in the future. The bike shop is opening itself up to the same liability. If I was you I would very diplomatically explain your concerns to the shop. If they don't want to listen I would find another shop. You might even explain your legal concerns

There's always the possibility that your frame is fine. Personally, I would never take the chance on a bike that's been sandwiched between 2 cars. They just aren't designed for that kind of impact. The insurance company should be inclined to agree.
    Last edited by Berkley; 09-05-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Get a new bike!!! I am the proud owner of a new Chilcotin after a wildfire burned my Delirium T and the Chilli rocks! I have also been hit by a car in high school and got a new bike (after needing to "lawyer up") when the drivers insurance company (also mine at the time) would not pay. If the drivers insurance doesn't pay without blinking, don't hesitate to get a lawyer. You need a new bike and the appropriate replacement of components.

mtbr member
    Call the shop owner and explain the situation. No way I would trust some random mechanic. If your fork it trashed then the headtube is probably bent. Unless you have access to a frame table, which almost nobody does, you will not know if the frame is really straight. Remember that a 1-2mm bend will show up much worse at the wheel.

mtbr member
    Seriously dude... Get the $$$ and buy a new bike... If you ride small, by my chilcotin !!!

Joke, maybe...

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about the demise of the Delirium.

What the others said: Insist on a new bike.

For those of you who missed it, he already has a Chili.

Get a Podium!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Definitely going to push for new frame after all your guys input,now i just need a shop/dealer to be on same page.Sold my demo 8 a month ago so a Podium would be amazing! thanks again

Delirious Tuck
    I'm surprised that shop/dealer won't just do it for you? Assuming you have an LBS that you have a good relationship with?

My LBS has gone out of the way when this has happened for their customers, doesn't make sense for them to take liability of future failure. Ask them to write up what equivalent would cost you in today's parts (i.e. if you were new x0 3 years ago, new x0 today). Item by item.

There's a medium Delirium at Fanatyko in Whistler, or there was at the beginning of August. You could get the LAST one. But Podium is a dope bike, and even pedals well... Super Enduro Podium build (180 fox/xx1/carbon rims........)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fedup2 View Post
    Definitely going to push for new frame after all your guys input,now i just need a shop/dealer to be on same page.Sold my demo 8 a month ago so a Podium would be amazing! thanks again
    The way insurance typically works requires an estimate of either repair or replacement. The estimate goes to an adjuster and then a cheque is cut.

Go to the shop and get a replacement value, that is full cost replacement, for the bike based on an equivalent model. A side hit to the frame under those circumstances likely means it is compromised; and the insurance company isn't going to quibble about a few grand under the circumstances. Your buddy should do the same.

The paper work from your shop is very important. Everything needs to be included (unless the bike was purchased spec rather than custom) and signed by the owner. Keep a copy for yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post

Get a Podium!
    +1

Get the Podium and build it up as the Dodium. Build it up with the XX1, enduro wheelset, AM parts and SC Fox Float 36. The CS CCDB Air is pretty amazing on a bike that already pedals pretty well. The Chili can handle most of your longer rides, but this will be a trail slayer!!!
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post

Get a Podium!
    It was a joke. Little advertisement for mine....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    id defo go for the new bike,,,, as dom said podium, my podiums built up light, running single crown 180mm fork, it pedals well, from what little time i did spend riding it, and my brothers carbon demo the bikes didnt feel to differant,