mtbr member

Delirium DB Air settings

Owing to the number of positive DB Air reviews, I just got one for the Delirium (upgradeitus). I am very happy with the PUSH Monarch RT3, but now and then I need a bit more rear end plushness. We are heading to Moab in ~6 weeks and I tend to use a coil for some of the shuttle DHish trails. I got the DB Air now so that I can dial it before this trip.

I have my CCDB coil settings. Using my coil settings as a starting point, I would assume that I need less HSC and more HSR because of the progressive nature of air. I also would assume more LSC and LSR because of the progressive nature? Am I on the right track?

I know there are only a few folks with DB Air. If you don't mind, can you please provide your settings?

I appreciate anyone's expertise on going from CCDB coil to the DB air!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Owing to the number of positive DB Air reviews, I just got one for the Delirium (upgradeitus). I am very happy with the PUSH Monarch RT3, but now and then I need a bit more rear end plushness. We are heading to Moab in ~6 weeks and I tend to use a coil for some of the shuttle DHish trails. I got the DB Air now so that I can dial it before this trip.

I have my CCDB coil settings. Using my coil settings as a starting point, I would assume that I need less HSC and more HSR because of the progressive nature of air. I also would assume more LSC and LSR because of the progressive nature? Am I on the right track?

I know there are only a few folks with DB Air. If you don't mind, can you please provide your settings?

I appreciate anyone's expertise on going from CCDB coil to the DB air!
    High flow inner can before you get run around in circles.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    High flow inner can before you get run around in circles.
    Thanks, I assumed that the new shocks have this, but may be that is new shocks that come with the Knolly frames?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Thanks, I assumed that the new shocks have this, but may be that is new shocks that come with the Knolly frames?
    You need to find out by calling Cane Creek and giving the serial #, because the shock is garbage w/o it, really. With, it's great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    You need to find out by calling Cane Creek and giving the serial #, because the shock is garbage w/o it, really. With, it's great.
    I spoke with Cane Creek, basically any shock ordered after Aug of 2012 has the new high flow mod.

I was also told that the LSC and LSR wouldn't change too much, but there would be less HSC and more HSR.

mtbr member

Upgraded CC DBAir with High Flow 6-slot Inner Air Can

My Chilcotin arrived in June 2012 with the original inner air can on the DBAir. This is my first air sprung bike and I was very pleased with the shock performance. The only downside was that I needed at least 40% sag to experience full travel. For most of my regular trail rides, full shock travel was not an issue.

Recently, I sent my DBAir to Garageworks Suspension in Oceanside CA for the Cane Creek warranty upgrade to the high flow six slot inner can. Turnaround service time was less than a week... helps that I only live one UPS shipping day away from Oceanside in LA County. Shipped on a Monday; returned to me on Friday. Steve from Garageworks was very helpful and quick to respond to all my emails; customer service to me was top notch.

GARAGEWORKS SUSPENSION

With the addition of the high flow inner can, the change in performance was noticeable from the first ride. I'm now running 35% sag with full travel. Small bump performance has also improved. I have not made any other shock adjustments as of yet. Now that I'm set at 35% sag, that's next on my agenda. I high recommend taking advantage of the Cane Creek upgrade.

Jim

Inner Air Can Comparisons
    Delirium DB Air settings-innercancomparison.jpg

To see the inner air can you must remove the outer air can. This is easily completed following instructions on the Cane Creek website.
    Delirium DB Air settings-upgraded-dbair.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks tmpaints!

I only tinkered with the DB air shock on a short little ride to get a feel for it and adjust the settings. It feels good. Similar to the coil, but different. As slow speeds, coil feels better, but as speed, I think it would be hard to differentiate. I need to more time with it.

Do mind posting your settings?

Cheers,
    Jamie

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey Dude,

I used the base settings for the Chilcotin (from the Cane Creek website) for my Deliriums DB air and found these to work pretty good.
    I've tweaked them a little, particularly since having the high flow sleeve mod done but I'd recommend the Chilcotins settings as a good starting point.

I'll check to see just what my settings are tonight and post em up.

One thing I have noticed though, since putting the shock on the bike last July it burns through rear eyelet bushings in no time, I'm on about my 3rd and thats just started to wear to the point that I can feel slight play in the suspension again. Not sure why this is as the DB coil didn't seem to wear them out anywhere near as quick.

Cheers

mtbr member

My Chilcotin DBAir Settings...

I'm 230 lbs. geared up

Air pressure set at 165 psi resulting in ~35% Sag

HSC 0.5 Turns
    LSC 17 Clicks
    HSR 2 Turns
    LSR 17 Clicks

mtbr member
    Thanks tmpaints and travo!

My current settings that I found just tinkering on 1 ride, need more time.
    HSC=0.5
    HSR=1.5
    LSC=13
    LSR=13

Question with sag - thoughts on preference - 30% or 35%? I assume the settings are dependent on sag (ie more pressure, less LSC, LSR, HSR)? Have you tinkered with this? This is why I have avoided this shock owing to the endless possibilities.

Wow - hopefully I am not going through DU bushing that quickly. I do remember going through this with CCDB but not nearly as fast. I have been running the Monarch RT3 (which is also an air shock) for almost 1 year with no bushing issue or need for replacement.

mtbr member
    Based on my weight and riding style, I like the way the DBAir performs starting deeper in the travel at 35% sag as the starting point for all other settings. Before the high flow inner can was added, I was at 40% sag.

When I sent the shock off for the upgrade, Garageworks changed out the bushing as well apparently as part of the warranty work since I wasn't charged. I had almost eight months of riding and had not noticed any bushing issues/movement prior to service.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by travo View Post

One thing I have noticed though, since putting the shock on the bike last July it burns through rear eyelet bushings in no time, I'm on about my 3rd and thats just started to wear to the point that I can feel slight play in the suspension again. Not sure why this is as the DB coil didn't seem to wear them out anywhere near as quick.

Cheers
    I don't understand this problem either. I would go through the upper eyelet bushing and support axle for the DBair in about 15 rides on my Chilcotin. Cane Creek has been helping me with the issue but nothing has been effective so far. This is part of the reason I went to the Avalanche on the Chilcotin and I am happy with those results.

Now the DBair is on the Endorphin with a new axle and bushing. We will see how it goes on the Endo...

As a side note: I ran the RC4 on my Delirium for almost two seasons before service and no bushing issues in the PNW weather.

I hope you don't have the same problems Dude!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    I don't understand this problem either. I would go through the upper eyelet bushing and support axle for the DBair in about 15 rides on my Chilcotin. Cane Creek has been helping me with the issue but nothing has been effective so far. This is part of the reason I went to the Avalanche on the Chilcotin and I am happy with those results.

Now the DBair is on the Endorphin with a new axle and bushing. We will see how it goes on the Endo...

As a side note: I ran the RC4 on my Delirium for almost two seasons before service and no bushing issues in the PNW weather.

I hope you don't have the same problems Dude!

I guess I will find out - thanks for the heads up. Now I will know when I start to hear that noise.

DB air on the Endorphin - that should be a lot of fun. Curious to hear your thoughts?

BTW - Columbia - not sure if I am bringing my bike or not. If don't bring my bike, I will not be tempted to potential hurt myself on all of those great trails up there in the middle of a major experiment. I dislocated and broke my elbow once riding before an experiment and they had to postpone it because of me - no one was pleased with that. However, the govt is furloughing me during this so I should ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    TIt feels good. Similar to the coil, but different. As slow speeds, coil feels better
    Exactly my impressions. I attribute the difference to 'the airness' which makes it my back up shock. Before the hi-flow mod, I was ready to sell it.