Delirium 1x10 or?

Printable View

• 12-02-2012
    gmx
    Delirium 1x10 or?
    I'm currently riding on a 1x9 delirium but need to replace the r derailleur. I like the look of the 1x9 and never really had a problem climbing except for some really steep or extended stuff that left me punched for the descent. My options are to go 1 x10 w/ a 36t cassette and a 32/34 up front or to switch to a f derailleur.

My concerns with the 1x10 is will the extra 2 teeth be enough and as I usually ride to the trail head, will I be hurting for more power on flat paved sections. And with the f derailleur it is are the chain retention systems available able to secure the chain as good as the straightline I have on there now?

I mostly pedal up but ride the park quite often in the summer. Anyone switch back to a f- derailleur from a 1x10. Or have any experience with the dual retention systems?
  • 12-02-2012
    Dude!
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmx View Post
    I'm currently riding on a 1x9 delirium but need to replace the r derailleur. I like the look of the 1x9 and never really had a problem climbing except for some really steep or extended stuff that left me punched for the descent. My options are to go 1 x10 w/ a 36t cassette and a 32/34 up front or to switch to a f derailleur.

My concerns with the 1x10 is will the extra 2 teeth be enough and as I usually ride to the trail head, will I be hurting for more power on flat paved sections. And with the f derailleur it is are the chain retention systems available able to secure the chain as good as the straightline I have on there now?

I mostly pedal up but ride the park quite often in the summer. Anyone switch back to a f- derailleur from a 1x10. Or have any experience with the dual retention systems?

Skip to the chase and go SRAM 1x11. It will cost some coin. Take a look at SRAM website - they have a few videos. NSMB did a nice review. It seems like the future. It should allow frame designers more creative freedom.

A couple of bonuses - no chain drop, less tension, an extra gear for big climbs.

MRP - makes a bashguard only for protection. This will drop a bit of weight all the way around.
  • 12-02-2012
    gmx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Skip to the chase and go SRAM 1x11. It will cost some coin. Take a look at SRAM website - they have a few videos. NSMB did a nice review. It seems like the future. It should allow frame designers more creative freedom.

A couple of bonuses - no chain drop, less tension, an extra gear for big climbs.

MRP - makes a bashguard only for protection. This will drop a bit of weight all the way around.

That looks awesome. The 10 -42 cassette seems like a sweet spot....BUT its way out of my way out of my price range. $425 for the cassette - yikes!
  • 12-02-2012
    bubba13
    Quote:

I switched from 1x9 32-34 to 1x10 32 front 36 rear and it made just enough difference on the Delirium to be worth it. I am able to do most of our climbs if I am feeling strong that day. No chain slap with the short cage Zee plus (clutch) and MRP 1x.

I do have to say I like the 2x10 on the Chilcotin though. 11-36 out back with 26/36 rings up front cover anything I want to ride. With the MRP LRP and a mid cage XT plus derailleur (with the clutch), the chain slap is minimal.

Setting up the Chilcotin with a front derailleur is easier and has much better cable routing than the Delirium. Doubt I will ever put a front D back on the Delirium.
  • 12-02-2012
    Bullit_cn
    Time will tell
    My intended setup fro my upcoming Chilco would be a 34 front and 11-36 rear,
    I will find out soon if the 34f/36r is manageable or a good compromise for climbing:thumbsup:
    I like to try the simplicity of a single ring up front too;)
  • 12-03-2012
    woodyak
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    My intended setup fro my upcoming Chilco would be a 34 front and 11-36 rear,
    I will find out soon if the 34f/36r is manageable or a good compromise for climbing:thumbsup:
    I like to try the simplicity of a single ring up front too;)

I've been pushing that combo for a few years now. I had it on my Delirium before the Chilly. If anything it's made me a stronger rider. Considering going with a 36t upfront next.
  • 12-04-2012
    gmx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    I switched from 1x9 32-34 to 1x10 32 front 36 rear and it made just enough difference on the Delirium to be worth it. I am able to do most of our climbs if I am feeling strong that day. No chain slap with the short cage Zee plus (clutch) and MRP 1x.

I do have to say I like the 2x10 on the Chilcotin though. 11-36 out back with 26/36 rings up front cover anything I want to ride. With the MRP LRP and a mid cage XT plus derailleur (with the clutch), the chain slap is minimal.

Setting up the Chilcotin with a front derailleur is easier and has much better cable routing than the Delirium. Doubt I will ever put a front D back on the Delirium.

I was thinking of the same 1 x 10 set up. You doubt you would put a front D back on the delirium because of the cable routing issue or just prefer the 1x10?
  • 12-04-2012
    bubba13
    Quote:

I was thinking of the same 1 x 10 set up. You doubt you would put a front D back on the delirium because of the cable routing issue or just prefer the 1x10?

Cable routing under the bottom bracket with a slot guide did not work out so well. I also prefer the 1x10 on the Delirium. When the climbing around here gets really steep and loose/slick, I just hop off and walk with this bike.
  • 12-04-2012
    Buzz
    I have honestly never considered anything but 1 x 10 on my Delirium. I run a 31T front and 11-36 cassette and can get up most things I need to. I will add that most of the climbs on the Delirium are fire roads, but I do find it able to climb some moderately tech/steep stuff as well.
  • 12-06-2012
    gmx
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I have honestly never considered anything but 1 x 10 on my Delirium. I run a 31T front and 11-36 cassette and can get up most things I need to. I will add that most of the climbs on the Delirium are fire roads, but I do find it able to climb some moderately tech/steep stuff as well.

Cheers.I can usually get up the most things w/ 1 x9 but usually feel punched at the end of a harder climb. I'm hoping the 2 extra teeth will bring the punch down to a slap.
  • 12-06-2012
    Mrwhlr
    3x9, big ring is bash ring.
  • 01-01-2013
    socalMX
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz View Post

Wow, with the 31t front, do you feel yourself struggling to gain/maintain speed on flatter trail sections? My upcoming setup will be 36t x 11-36 rear to start with. Thinking I might end up with a 34 front soon. I ride a lot of fast single track at times and need speeed...
  • 01-01-2013
    Buzz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Wow, with the 31t front, do you feel yourself struggling to gain/maintain speed on flatter trail sections? My upcoming setup will be 36t x 11-36 rear to start with. Thinking I might end up with a 34 front soon. I ride a lot of fast single track at times and need speeed...

There are very few 'flatter' sections up here on the Shore, which is where I ride my Delirium the most. Whistler would be the second most common place to ride it. I chose the gearing specifically so my old, slow, arse could get up the fire road and still have enough energy left to enjoy the downs!
    If I was going to be pedalling singletrack more, it is possible the gearing wouldnt be right, but it works well for where I use it!

Cheers

Buzz