mtbr member
    Sep 2017

The Debonair Effect

So my Warden has the Monarch Debonair rt3 Plus LL tune. My issue is during climbing I use almost 3\4 of my travel on technical stuff and slightly more than 1\2 on smooth stuff. I'm 200lbs kitted, have 220psi in it, which puts me bang on 30% sag. I don't want to run less sag as doing that tends to reduce plushness decending. It blows through the first 2\3 of the travel really easy and ramps up fast after that to the point I only use all the travel when mangling jumps. There are no bands in it. My question is, is there a way to limit or tune the negative side to get less of the Debonair effect? I don't think I want to send it in for a tune as the terrain I ride varies so much I like to be able to adjust the bike myself for where I'm riding.

Ride On

The Debonair Effect

Welcome to negative air shocks and progressive high leverage bikes. Stick a volume reducer in the negative air side and test. Repeat as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks man. Any details on how to do that? All I could find on the net was about the red rings and there was no mention of if they were going on positive or negative air side. I'm pretty handy, so a little info, or a link that explains it would be handy.

Ride On
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bxpA9AHxTWI

Just add the bands to the negative side instead of the positive side as described in this video.

Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    What is the negative side? I've seen this video before but it had no negative info so was confused. Is it the bottom part of the shock instead of the top?

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by Couleecruiser View Post
    What is the negative side? I've seen this video before but it had no negative info so was confused. Is it the bottom part of the shock instead of the top?

It's the area to the right (the section that has 2 bands installed in the example)

Michael

Ride on!

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's not just a feature of the debonair, the low AS values of the bike are going to let it eat up more travel when pedaling over bumps, especially uphill, but an air shock might be amplifying the effects, because the progression curve for air shocks is progressive, flat, then progressive again at the end of travel. At the sag point, you are likely into the flatter part of the shock, so it's going to go through it's travel rather easily at that point.

A custom tune to add more low speed compression and free up your high speed as able based on your weight/leverage/style would likely help. Unfortunately, most factory tunes, especially on air shocks, are pretty poor IME. My advice is to always find a good shock chassis and get a custom tune, due to how poorly suited most OEM tunes are.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thats a pretty common deal with most debonair shocks. They have an equalization port for the negative chamber right around the sag point which can cause some issue with heavier riders. So its going to use a bit more travel regardless in the mid stroke. But they ramp very fast there after (as you are experiencing) I had the exact same issues on another bike and ended up switching shocks.

Ride On
    Running more bands in the negative air chamber will allow you to maintain your preferred sag level whilst reducing air pressure which will help with using full travel.
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Exactly the info I was after. Thanks everyone!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Put 2 bands in the negative side, 1 in the positive side, and dropped psi from 10% over body weight to 5% over. What a difference! Used way less travel when climbing, felt like I rode higher. Used the same amount of travel overall. Felt like I was pedaling way less than the people I was riding with so I think it carries speed way better as well.

Ride On
    Quote Originally Posted by Couleecruiser View Post
    Put 2 bands in the negative side, 1 in the positive side, and dropped psi from 10% over body weight to 5% over. What a difference! Used way less travel when climbing, felt like I rode higher. Used the same amount of travel overall. Felt like I was pedaling way less than the people I was riding with so I think it carries speed way better as well.
    Right on. I put an extra band in now running 2 in the negative chamber. Rode higher for less pressure running 185 now (bear in mind this is an Avy'd shock). Bike also felt quite peppy and energetic which was fun. I still only maxed out at about 80% travel though despite not running any bands in the positive chamber. Perhaps I need to be doing gap jumps to use that last bit up or I may try another band and drop pressure again...
    Michael

Ride on!