mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Critique my road trip...

I've got a three week road trip from Sept 20 to Oct 14, taking in Park City and Moab

Due to the higher elevation and lifts closing early Oct, I'm aiming to do Park City first and then Moab but want some opinions on stop off points on the way down and back.

My outward route is going to take me down the I5 to Seattle then across the I90 thru Ellensburg, Boise, SLC then Park City and I'll have a couple of days from leaving Vancouver to hitting Park City where I'm looking for a ride or two within that corridor. Any suggestions? Specifically, anything worth hitting in the Boise area?

I'll be taking my Endorphin and I'm looking for Alpine XC/AM epics in/around Park City. At this point, I don't know what trails to hit in Park City though I believe Wasatch Crest and Mid Mountain should be on the to-do list.

I've been to Moab several times but have never ticked off the Whole Enchilada so thats also on the to-do list along with Captain Ahab.

On the return, I'm looking at looping thru Northern Oregon/Southern Washington (Hood River: Surveyors Ridge & Syncline and then maybe Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham)

I'm likely riding by myself in most cases unless I happen upon other riders on the trail and prefer to keep my wheels on the ground. I'd rather a slow & techy trail over a jump trail, though fast n' flowy along ridge-lines is just as good!

So, what am I missing?

My main concern at this time is whether Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham is likely do-able in mid-October and whether the access roads are open/passable...

Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great trip 6061.

I think there are some good trails in the Boise area but it's not high alpine. A query in the Idaho forum may unveil the best stuff.

I just posted a big loop I did recently in Park City over in the Utah forum that included the Wasatch Crest and Midmountain with a rippin' descent down into Canyons resort (although I'd do it a bit differently if I were starting in PC instead of SLC).

If you're in Moab between October 2-5th and want to hook up for either Cap'n Ahab or TWE let me know. I'd be happy to ride with you.

Not really on the way... but not that far out of the way, you might want to spend a day or two in Fruita/Grand Junction. Good stuff there.

If you're passing through central Nevada on your way back up to Oregon, I've got a few pretty good trails I'd be happy to show you in Ely.

I haven't done Syncline but we really enjoyed Post Canyon when we were passing through Hood River this Spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    When passing thru OR have to hit up Sandy Ridge! Big smiles!!! The Endo will kill it there!
    www.JORBA.org
    You Dig?
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the replies - I'll look up KRob's report when I get a chance and search the ID forum for Boise ideas...and I may take up your offer to accompany me on TWE depending on my timetable :-)

Bnerd
    If you're going through Boise you should look at hitting up Sun Valley.
    On my road trip to Moab a few years back we were going to ride in Sun Valley but that region was in the grips of serious forest fires. Instead we made Boise our stop in that region. The trails around Boise are quite good and you can make some epic loops.

mtbr member
    FYI, a lot of the Sun Valley trails are getting burned out now, last I heard (a few days ago) some areas of Ketchum were about to be evacuated...