mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Coming off a Banshee and onto a Knolly???

I am a Banshee guy (on a 2015 Spitfire). I now live where a slightly more aggro bike is definitely warranted, and started to feel around on some other brands/bikes.

How many versions of the Warden have there been? Any big changes? Is it a stagnant model right now - e.g. do you expect 2018 to be the year they go boost? Metric? Geo changes? When I bought my Spitfire, less than 6 months later Banshee announced the 2016s which had some changes I definitely would have waited for. Don't want that to happen again.

Also would love to hear some input from folks who struggled on the carbon vs alloy thing. Are Knolly's known to be just rock solid? In Banshee world...you just buy it knowing you aren't going to break it. All of my buddies with plastic bikes have broken them at some point (Trek, Yeti, Intense). Terrifies me. For weight purposes, given the ~$1k premium of a plastic Warden frame, I figure you could end at the same bike weight, whether you opt for the lighter frame, or instead, shove that money into lighter components.

Thanks for any thoughts duders. Look like fun bikes.

EDIT: One more question - what are you guys finding on maintenance? How often are you doing bearings? How many bearings are there? Pretty reliable setup, that fourby?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    There is some kind of update rumoured for this summer. Could be a 29er, could be an update to the Warden. I think that an update to the Warden is less likely because of the carbon mold costs. I would like a bit of added length on the Warden and would have tried a large frame except the seat tube is too long for me on the large. I have not tried the Carbon, but my alloy Warden has been bomb proof and I got 5000km out of my bearings.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I've got 3yrs on a carbon AM bike and I have not done any serious damage to it. I bought a metal Endo recently. I'm not afraid of carbon breaking, but the metal Knolly was a great deal.

You can break any bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Two versions of the warden - alloy and carbon. The difference (other then frame material) is 5mm - 5mm more travelon the carbon, 5mm less headtube length on the carbon, 5mm longer top tube on the carbon, 5mm longer wheelbase on the carbon......you get the idea.

Bearings - Knolly uses some of the highest quality bearings available. Good news is they do last longer then cheap crap bearings. Significantly longer. Bad news is when you do need to replace them with equal quality, they are not cheap to replace - but they are worth it. How long they last is really gonna depend on how often you will ride it, and weather conditions. I currently have 2 kids under the age of 3 and my bearings are lasting a real long time right now!

I am getting real close to pulling the trigger on a warden, or an endo, or ........

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I went from a 2014 Spitfire to an Aluminum Warden. The Knolly frame is definitely more refined and the bearings have lasted much longer. I am still running the original bearings on my 2013 Chilcotin. You will not have any reliablity issues with any Knolly bikes!

Regarding ride characteristics, I think the Spitty is more lively and 'poppy' than the Warden (probably more comparable to the Endo), but does not climb or descend quite as well as the Warden. I also like the geometry and rider position much better on the Warden.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Curious why the OP is looking to move away from Banshee and not move to a Rune from the Spitty.

Certainly mean no offense to the Knolly fans on the forum, as they clearly work better for others than me. I had an alloy Warden and didn't care for it. Every Banshee I've owned has climbed AND descended significantly better for me.

From a company perspective, I think Knolly has it going on, definitely compared to Banshee, who I think is going through some weirdness in regard to manufacturing and distribution.

Regardless, great time to be a mountain biker.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Not looking to "move away", just feeling a bit under biked and looking at options. I have done a ton of reading on the fourby vs KS link. Gotta ride a Knolly next.

The new Rune def in the running!

mtbr member
    My last bike was a DW-Link so one of the more efficient pedalling suspension designs. The new bike is a Knolly 4x4. I'm interested to see how they compare and what the pros/cons end up being.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My previous bike was a DW Turner 5 Spot which never needed a lockout. Great bike, never bobbed, but I feel that it got hung up a bit on square edged hits while pedaling. The Endo does bob. On the logging roads I use that firm setting. I have tried climbing on trails with the shock in climb and descend mode and I prefer the descend. It must still be bobbing but it feels efficient and smoothes out the trail chatter. Can't wait till Vik gets some saddle time because I'm pretty sure his ass is more sensitive.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    One of the things that pushed me over the edge in buying a Knolly was riding with Travis on his Warden. His speed/climbing certainly didn't demonstrate any handicap due to the Knolly 4x4.

I don't race or strava so my criteria for evaluating the Endo will be:

1. Am I having fun?
    2. Am I cleaning the tech that I normally clean?
    3. Am I roughly in the same position in the pack relative to my usual riding buddies?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The Rune is a great bike if you want something a bit burlier than the Spitty. Do yourself a favour though, and demo a Knolly if you can. There is really something special a out the 4x4 design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My local dealer has a Large Warden. I am going to check it out this week. Not yet sure if I can pedal it around on the trails near the shop or not. Another question for you guys - where I live/ride, we have a lot of fireroad climbs to gain descents. We can log 40 mile days with 15 of it on gravel. One of the best trails around (Farlow Gap if anyone knows it!) is accessed by a 5 mile/2k ft gravel climb. So...absolute murder to mount my Cane Creek DB Coil Inline to a Warden? From reading about fourby, it sounds super active, wonder if that + a coil would sap me over a day of gravel up, singletrack down?