mtbr member

Climbing on a Chilcotin (My trail, my version)

My Build;
    A 34.5lbs medium black Chili with DBcoil set at slack head angle, 55rc3ti 1.5Ē, external headset+20mm spacer under the stem, RF Atlas bar cut to 750, Thomson stem & post(dropper soon), 38/26 crankset(MRP 2X soon) + 11-36 cassette 2x10 X.9 drive train, Fulcrum Red Zone wheels with a 2.5 Minion 3C front & 2.5 Minion ST rear.

My Trail;
    It start with a 200 meter steep pave road to the trail head followed by a steep 2.5km fire road to the single track trails that are currently washed out by the rain for non-stop 3 weeks pouring. Rain ruts are everywhere with a more exposed rocks along the way. Once on the trail, it looks almost similar from the start with lots of up and down from the series of hills and mountains along the way.

Climbing;
    Itís like an art. Read the lines and match it with what you ride. A hardtail can climb too but will require a lot of efforts for this kind trail. Again, the fitness level of the rider plays an important role too.
    Climbing the same trail on my DWSpot is easy and fast. With its 30lbs weight, now I call it a lightweight.
    Just choose the line, spin accordingly and it goes up and fast. The build is Lyrik solo air, stock RP3 shock+shim, 2.35 UST highrollers, 2x10 XTR with 42x28 cranks & 11-36 cassette, a different animal indeed.

The Chilcotin first climb;
    First ride and first climb on the Chilcotin with 34T single ring + chain guide was a disaster. With the absence of a granny up the 200m steep paved road, the DBcoil moves up and down like crazy like the amount of itís sag while mashing and standing to overcome the first climb. I come to think, it is enough for a less experience rider to give up, throw all the bad reps about this bike all over the MTBR forum.
    I decided then that I would need a granny and use a single-ring setup+chain guide on a more DH specific trails only.

The Chilcotin shines;
    I put on the 38/26 crankset, a front derailleur and went for another ride and another one and hence this review for my conclusion. The DBcoil was set pretty much similar to most of you guys and it goes as HSC= 1.5, LSC=13, HSR=2, LSR=13 clicks/turn.
    With the 34.5lbs weight, it always give me a second thought of just go ahead, ride the lighter Spot instead. But this time, I need to find out how this thing compare so I go off to the trail.
    The first climb was easier, thanks to the granny. Though the DBcoil still bobs within in its sag that I set. But as long as you donít look down on your shock while riding, you wont notice it at all. Besides, it is safer to ride looking ahead the trail than looking down on your shockÖLOL :-D

The Chilcotin is not a fast climber as my lighter Spot but it is truly a crawler. Probably the heavy weight has an added benefit of the bike to stay planted, but itís the traction provided by the four by 4 linkage that makes a BIG difference. Riding the Chilcotin is like, sit back&relax then, Point, Spin and Rollover kind of thing. It feels like driving my RC4WD crawler on some nasty and steep stuff.

The 160mm front and slack HA is a good compromise; anything longer will present another challenge on those steep climbs. Unless of course you want to set it at steep setting and increase BB height. The bike wanders a bit but it only takes a few minutes to re-adjust my position and find its sweet spot. I move my saddle a bit forward; lean farther up front when itís really steep and slack angle actually gives a surprising benefit. The slack head angle actually moves your front wheel farther ahead and gives you a more point and roll kind of feeling. As long as you keep your rhythm in control, you just need to sit-spin-roll and repeat. I can climb with this bike for as long as my lighter bikes do. It is truly an amazing bike. It is a new school geometry and a much or far greater improvement of the ICT of E in my opinionÖ :-D

Chilcotin down the hill;
    It would be redundant if I repeat what you guys have already said...

The Chilcotin is now my main ride...I like to thanks Eric C for getting me this bike, to Noel for his advice on spring rate and to all of you guys who I learned about this bike. Canít wait for my next rideÖCheers ☺
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Climbing on a Chilcotin (My trail, my version)-img_1836.jpg  

Climbing on a Chilcotin (My trail, my version)-img_1839.jpg  

When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Very nice bike and nice review.

How do you find those forks? I'm curious.

Also what's your weight and spring? I'm 87kg(92kg kitted) with 450lbs spring. I don't find any bobbing(minimal or not noticeable) and I have an awful pedalling technique where I mash down hard.

si vis pacem...
    I'm running the CCDBA and I had some trepidation at first around not having any kind of a pedaling platform. After a few days of riding in Moab, I'm finding myself becoming part of the "you don't need it" camp. I can definitely feel the extra weight of the Chili on the climbs, but I'm coming off a carbon Trek Remedy so that was expected. What I didn't expect, despite all the reviews I've read, was how amazing the Chili really is on technical climbs. I didn't notice any excessive bobbing at all, and the Chili just dug in and clawed it's way up long grinds like Amasa Back. Honestly, the only things I couldn't climb were the obstacles I simply didn't have the legs for - the Chili didn't break traction ONCE.

I am running a 2x10 setup with the 24/36 front end and love it.

I agree with what you said about finding the "sweet spot" making a huge difference, but I found the Chili to be perfectly balanced almost right from the start, and it's a very easy bike to move around on. I was shocked at how far forward I could shift my weight on the climbs without breaking traction on the rear. It defies physics.

The bike is definitely no lightweight rocket though. The thing is planted like a tank. When you called it a "crawler" that was the perfect word - it reminded me of the jeeps I saw in Moab with the ultra-low gearing and huge lifts that would just drive over anything - at 1/2 mile an hour. The Chili likely won't be winning any hillclimb races but it will let you ride to the top when your friends have to get off and push.