Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Chunky Monkey

Knollician

Chunky Monkey

Here are some photos of the CMs. Keep in mind these are mounted on 819s.

From the other thread:

I'll throw another tire into the mix, the on-one Chunky Monkey. This is a Maxxis built tire. It is build on the Ardent 2.4 EXO casing, with 2 compound options. The Trail Extreme is 50/42, and the Enduro is 50a (not 60a). I can't provide too much of a review yet as I only have 3 rides on them, but my initial impressions are that these are keepers. The tires are massive, have a bit more of a square profile, and have what I would call a transition knob about every 3 knobs. I prefer tires without transition knobs, I couldn't get with the Hans Dampf, and think it is terribly overrated, at least here in the desert. Anyway, my tires weighted in at 802/816g, have a nice stout sidewall, setup tubeless well, and the compounds are spot on. When looking at the CM, I thought the side knobs should have been taller, but I am rethinking this. The side knobs are very well supported and do not flex. Even with the 42a compound.

On the trail, these are not the best rollers, but who cares? These are about traction. I find the braking to performance to be excellent, front and rear. When leaning the bike over, I find they get to the side knobs easily, making it very easy to set the edge, unlike the HD which feels like the tire is fighting me. Once on the edge they feel as good or better than my favorite Specy Butcher tire. The Butcher SX side knobs are tall, but do fold over easily, the CM does not. I find the CM is excellent when things get loose. It holds a line very well which requires very little correction in a straight line.

On the rear, it works very well. The climbing traction is good, maybe not as good as the Trail King, but cornering and braking traction are better. I am running the Enduro compound on the rear, and after 3 rides it shows no signs of wear. After a 9 mile ride on the HD Pacestar, it looked like I had a month of riding on it.

I will update my review soon, but this is an exciting tire. $30 and free shipping for a well designed Maxxis tire, count me in. On-One Chunky Monkey 26"x2.4"

IMG_0448

IMG_0449

IMG_0450

IMG_0447

IMG_0452
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Care to share your source for the $30 free shipping?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicman View Post
    Care to share your source for the $30 free shipping?
    Free shipping in the US from the Titus/On-One USA store.
    Unfortunately shipping to Canada is kind of ridiculous, I'm getting $75 shipping for $90 worth of (folding) tyres. Might have to send them to a friend in the States.

mtbr member
    Got the front tire mounted up last night. Mounted up easily and looks beefy. Nice.

Got one ride on it this morning and my initial impressions are favorable. I felt a bit slower today but that may not be all the tire's fault. Legs were really flat after a couple of big climbing days and I'm coming down with something tonight so that may have been part of it. I may have felt slower with some Rocket Rons on ther today.

Only thing I noticed so far besides that is that it does hold an edge well in corners which were mostly hardpacked with some light duff and small rocks on top. I'd been a little timiid in my cornering lately have washing out a couple times in the past few weeks on the 2.35 minnions. But within just a few corners I was finding it very easy to set the edge and gain confidence.

The sidewall support felt good yet it still felt pretty plush.

I'll report back as I get the rear mounted and more time on them.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Got the front tire mounted up last night. Mounted up easily and looks beefy. Nice.

Got one ride on it this morning and my initial impressions are favorable. I felt a bit slower today but that may not be all the tire's fault. Legs were really flat after a couple of big climbing days and I'm coming down with something tonight so that may have been part of it. I may have felt slower with some Rocket Rons on ther today.

Only thing I noticed so far besides that is that it does hold an edge well in corners which were mostly hardpacked with some light duff and small rocks on top. I'd been a little timiid in my cornering lately have washing out a couple times in the past few weeks on the 2.35 minnions. But within just a few corners I was finding it very easy to set the edge and gain confidence.

The sidewall support felt good yet it still felt pretty plush.

I'll report back as I get the rear mounted and more time on them.
    Kent,

They are slow rollers, but On-One makes no apologies for it.

I have about 6 rides on my set now, and continue to be impressed. Hitting up National, the tires hooked up very well when climbing, and railed on the DH. They are very consistent when laid over and the edge is easy to set. On the rear, the 50a still looks new, even after quite a few road miles. The 50a really works well as a rear tire, climbing traction is excellent. I guess the best endorsement I can give right now is that I don't think much about them. I did go down on Holbert Sunday, but I doubt the tire had much to do with it. I was coming I pretty hot, banking right, on the brakes, on a piece of granite that was falling away. I went down real quick. I probably would have been OK if I set my speed before hitting the corner. I did also put a very small puncture in the rear tire, but it sealed right up. Currently running 24/30psi.

mtbr member
    Update on the CMs. Front tire sticks like glue in corners. Haven't found the limit yet. Stay tuned...... when I fall on my face I'll know I've found it.... but I hate falling on my face so am approaching the limits somewhat cautiously. It's already worlds better than the Maxxpro 60a Minion DHF 2.35 that came on the bike.

I have yet to mount the rear tire but I find as I push into corners more the rear tire (2.35 DHR) breaks free "early" now. Which isn't all bad but it let's me know I am cornering harder than I was with the Minions front and rear.

Delirious Tuck
    I'm completely disappointed in the the HDs. They were trying to kill me breaking traction with every root and rock they hit, dry - not in greasy CT humid conditions, my experience with the trail kings was identical. Just not a good rock root crawling tire.

I've been a big fan of the Butchers, running them at whistler and on my Enduro Sworks. Traction and grip breaks, but its very predictable.

Love the 42a Minions, but they wear out too fast, but you can ride up a wall and not flinch.

For $30 a pop these sound like a nice option.

I think the tire equation is Rolling Resistance, Traction, Longevity, pick 2 or something to that effect.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Great timing! About an hour ago I almost posted a request for an update on this very thread because the tires on my loaner bike are about shot; then I thought about the HD that I didn't use that much before I switched them out so I decided to hold off. I had problems with my front HD slipping out from under me last year in loose soil. Admittedly I have terrible form and probably overweight the front end during cornering; but when nursing a freshly-broken wrist another chance after the 4th washout wasn't going to happen.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

Knollician
    I'm still running mine. They work very well, and are wearing better. Lots of miles on them and they don't look all that different than the photos I took above. I am still gaining confidence in them, but they have not let me down yet.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Chunky Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Kent,

They are slow rollers, but On-One makes no apologies for it.

I have about 6 rides on my set now, and continue to be impressed. Hitting up National, the tires hooked up very well when climbing, and railed on the DH. They are very consistent when laid over and the edge is easy to set. On the rear, the 50a still looks new, even after quite a few road miles. The 50a really works well as a rear tire, climbing traction is excellent. I guess the best endorsement I can give right now is that I don't think much about them. I did go down on Holbert Sunday, but I doubt the tire had much to do with it. I was coming I pretty hot, banking right, on the brakes, on a piece of granite that was falling away. I went down real quick. I probably would have been OK if I set my speed before hitting the corner. I did also put a very small puncture in the rear tire, but it sealed right up. Currently running 24/30psi.
    I have not noticed that the ChMonk rolls that slow. Actually surprised at how quietly it rolls on pavement, and I really do not care much about my speed on the roads to and from the trail.

On the trails, hardpack and looser, having control tends to feel slow for a given speed. More control and you usually go faster.

~25 psi on 28mm rims.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have not noticed that the ChMonk rolls that slow.
    Thats because in the other thread you told us you'd never rode it before
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

Chunky Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    Thats because in the other thread you told us you'd never rode it before
    Have now.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    ...mines is still in the packaging as im madly in love with big betty.

Anyone know what the CM is like in the wet, i.e stones, roots and gloop?
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    I have not noticed that the ChMonk rolls that slow. Actually surprised at how quietly it rolls on pavement, and I really do not care much about my speed on the roads to and from the trail.

On the trails, hardpack and looser, having control tends to feel slow for a given speed. More control and you usually go faster.

~25 psi on 28mm rims.
    I'll reserve judgement on rolling resistance until I get them both mounted, but I tend to agree so far. They don't seem that slow (for a good sized sticky tire) and don't buzz too loudly on pavement.... although there is a little more buzz/noise than on some other tires (like the Ardent for instance that has a pretty continuous raised center tread).
    Last edited by KRob; 05-16-2013 at 10:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post

Anyone know what the CM is like in the wet, i.e stones, roots and gloop?
    I've wondered this as well. Not sure what kind of riding the CM was designed for or if it is aimed more at being an all-arounder, but I would guess with the soft dual compound 42/50 and flexible but well-supported side lugs it should do pretty well on slick rocks.

Maybe Shiggy will chime in on these questions? Intended application, and performance in slick/wet conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Have now.
    Smorg's too??

Chunky Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Smorg's too??
    I have been riding the SGB for a year.
    mtbtires.com

Chunky Monkey

I've wondered this as well. Not sure what kind of riding the CM was designed for or if it is aimed more at being an all-arounder, but I would guess with the soft dual compound 42/50 and flexible but well-supported side lugs it should do pretty well on slick rocks.

Maybe Shiggy will chime in on these questions? Intended application, and performance in slick/wet conditions.
    Rough terrain trail tire. Rock, loose, and decent on hardpack (broad blocks with sipes). The rubber compounds help grip in the wet. Not a mudder.

Review from a buddy (fast, aggressive 260 lb rider):
    ============
    They've done fine in wet (not sloppy or sticky mud). They didn't shine in wet dirt, but were not worse than average either. They were above average in climbing traction on wet rocks/roots and traction in general on those. Braking traction was good when the tire was straight up/down/vertical...but sketchy in that transition zone...but good when leaned over. Overall, it's a good tire for wet unless it's mucky...it's not a mud tire...but no non-mud tire is a mud tire IMO. It brakes pretty well, steers pretty well. Better than an Ardent or Butcher.

OK on to dry...finally got some real shred time on a dry trail Sunday. We ripped Larison Rock after the GIT ride on Larison Creek. When the tire is vertical/near-vertical it's dead on fast and grippy. You know how that trail has duff, gravel, hardpack and changes attitudes. The tire does well in them all. The tire corners best when leaned/manhandled. It won't "help" you into a turn, but if you lean it and tell it where to go...it just goes. It's fast and a great match to today's aggressive bikes, if you know how to ride. It doesn't like to be leaned a little bit. It drifts...a lot when I ride casually while at speed. You can account for that of course, but I found the drift left and it bites very well when I get back to pushing the bike and riding aggressively.

The tire didn't hold me back...which is nice. Ardents on the front do. Sub 13 minute runs on a hardtail. I'm confident that 12 minutes will be broken when I hit it and haven't been climbing all day beforehand. It's not all tire of course, the bike is freakin' rad, but it's nice to push into corners, rail and not have the feeling that the bike is on marbles and the tires are holding me back. Job well done!
    ============
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    thanks shiggy. thats a good review.

it made me conclude like this: (correct me if im wrong) in mud, use muddy marys, in most other cases the CM will suffice, in some 'not flatout tight twisty trails' then maybe need more centre to edge support to avoid 'front wheel' drift.

since the compound sounds spot on, then any of the weaknesses outlined in the review probably come from 2 places:
    a) the depth of the nobbles
    b) the red circled regions in the pic below:

Chunky Monkey-tyre.jpg

to me the CM sounds like an excellent any day of the week rear tyre and will do itself proud on many trails when on the front whilst in mixed conditions.

im happy with the price i paid then.
    Tweed Valley, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Yeah, thanks for the insight and review Shiggy.

I'll just add that I got the rear mounted and the front remounted both tubeless now with Gorilla Tape and Stans. Mounting was super easy and the beads popped right on with compressed air and sealed nicely.

Took it on a ride this afternoon after/during the rain and found the traction on wet rocks was good, wet dirt shed nicely but when things got more mucky the mud caked up pretty bad.... but this stuff would've caked up on any tire, I believe. I think there was some betonite clay in the mix for a ways and I just had to get off and push.

But in damp, semi-wet conditions (not sloppy mud) with lots of loose rocks and off-camber high speed descending they hooked up well and felt bomb-proof and stable. Unlike your buddy, I don't seem to get any drift when I corner more tentatively. They stick when leaned over gradually and keep sticking as as you lean more.

I had planned on taking this descent a little easy having just mounted them tubeless for the first time and not knowing if burps or blow-offs were going to be a problem..... but after the long climb up without any issues whatsoever, within a few hundred yards of the top, I forgot about my plan to take it easy and just bombed the nasties. Probably not smart.... but no hint of a burp or loss of air.

So, I'm curious where the sacrifices were made (compared to other Maxxis tires for instance) to keep the price so low? It doesn't seem to be in the quality of the rubber or the casing. (wearing well, no chunking, good sidewall support, soft durometer, etc). Or is this just an introductory price and they'll start increasing price as the CMs gain popularity.

MTB B'dos
    I think that the lack of a dealer network, 2nd, 3rd intermediary to add mark up and being sold directly to the public is one main factor is keeping the costs low. Also just think that tyres are marked up a **** load anyways after reading a few comments over the years from people in the business.

............So, I'm curious where the sacrifices were made (compared to other Maxxis tires for instance) to keep the price so low? It doesn't seem to be in the quality of the rubber or the casing. (wearing well, no chunking, good sidewall support, soft durometer, etc). Or is this just an introductory price and they'll start increasing price as the CMs gain popularity.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Chunky Monkey

So, I'm curious where the sacrifices were made (compared to other Maxxis tires for instance) to keep the price so low? It doesn't seem to be in the quality of the rubber or the casing. (wearing well, no chunking, good sidewall support, soft durometer, etc). Or is this just an introductory price and they'll start increasing price as the CMs gain popularity.
    No compromises in the construction/materials.

I spent a lot of time with the design, but there was only one mold cut (Maxxis will do numerous versions/revisions for their own models).

Then it is direct distribution/sales, lack of retail packaging, and low wages.
    mtbtires.com

Dorkimus Prime
    I've got several rides in on my 26 x 2.25 Trail Extreme's on my On-One 456 and believe these tires to be keepers. I've ridden them this spring in SW Ontario on the wet rocky and rooty trails. I love the traction and believe them to be good rollers as well. I'm not a try a lot of tires guy, but they hook up like my old standby Nevegals, but roll faster. I also love the volume. They replace a set of Rocket Ron 2.25 and whoa, substantial traction improvement! I've ordered several more sets for my other bikes...
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Tiss'er,

How's this holding up in the back for you now? Are you still on the same tire as when you first posted this?

I've about blown through another Hans Dampf, knobs are ripping off left and right. I think what I've come to realize is the Hans does fine in terms of wear and holding up in wet and/or damp conditions, but when it really gets dry out, the dryness is like sandpaper on these tires and just kills them. I've had a few, and they've all been fine in the fall/winter/spring and I've gotten plenty of riding on them in those conditions, with fantastic wear. But in the past two summers, the dryness has just destroyed the tire.

So needless to say, looking for a new rear tire. Loving my Big Betty out front though.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Not tiSS'er but I've had mine mounted for 2 1/2 months riding in mostly dry semi-loose to rocky terrain. The center rear knobs are starting to wear down just a bit, but overall they are remarkably unworn looking.

Still really digging these tires.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast