Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    kiwi knolly fan
    Reputation: mattypee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    New question here. chromag lynx or trailmaster?

    have noticed several of you cats are sporting a chromag saddle on your knolly.

    i know its all personal preference and you really have to try a seat first hand, but anyone tried both and can say what the differences feel like between the lynx and trailmaster?

    im looking to try one hoping they are comfortable for my bony arse.
    they sure look cool anyway.
    btw right now i have an old wtb rocket v.
    cheers

  2. #2
    Delirious Tuck
    Reputation: thefriar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,309
    Trailmaster has more pading at the nose of the saddle and is a bit wider. The Lynx is narrow at the front. I had the Lynx for about 2 months before I somehow snagged my shorts on the nose and ripped off the first inch of padding. Lynx for light duty, TM for heavy IMHO.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    569
    Personally I like the feel of the trailmaster for long rides/climbs. It's padded a bit more and the wider nose is easier on the taint.

  4. #4
    shh. don't tell the wife
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    354
    I'm just about to buy a Lynx so I can compare it to my Trailmaster.
    All you need is love... but Scotch'll do in a pinch.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    182
    I'm running a Trailmaster on my Chromag and a Lynx on my DT.

    Trailmaster is more comfortable then the Lynx with more cushion. My biggest complaint with the Lynx is that I just can't get the nose down enough. It's about 1 degree too high (and I've got the Thomson seatpost cranked as far as she will go), which will cause discomfort in about an hour of fireroad climbing.

    Will probably swap out the saddle to another Trailmaster to see if the saddle geo is slightly better (hopefully) then the Lynx.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch_Surfer
    I'm running a Trailmaster on my Chromag and a Lynx on my DT.
    Eh?

    I've got a Trailmaster on my Endo. Came with the Lynx but quickly swapped it out for the TM after a quick test ride with it. I found the Lynx a little on the narrow side.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: G-AIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,397

    Weught?

    Anybody know the weight of the TM?

    I am intereted in both these seats as well. While I am not worried about a few grams, I just want to make sure it is not a boat anchor. I am leaning towards the TM DT. They look like great seats.

    Any info is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    TG

  8. #8
    kiwi knolly fan
    Reputation: mattypee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22

    trailmaster too wide?

    thanks for all the info
    sounds like the trailmaster with more padding and wider shape for more support could be the one for me.
    as far as a rounded shape goes, it looks like more like a sdg formula fx than a bel air?
    and like the idea of a wider padded nose for climbing.
    anyone find it too wide to get behind when decending ? i find that with the fizik vitesse on my girlfreinds bike.
    cheers

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvestri
    Eh?
    Sorry, that was a bit confusing. My Chromag Stylus - I run a Trailmaster on that.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7,921
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    Anybody know the weight of the TM?

    I am intereted in both these seats as well. While I am not worried about a few grams, I just want to make sure it is not a boat anchor. I am leaning towards the TM DT. They look like great seats.

    Any info is appreciated.

    Thanks,
    TG
    According to the mfg (email exchange):
    The Lynx is fairly narrow at 130mm, it is also a firm saddle. It is quite light at 245g. This is a great epic saddle if your riding is long distance and you want a firm saddles with lots of pedaling clearance. It is also often used (in the DT version) for freeride and DH riders who want a light saddle that is not being sat on alot.

    The Trailmaster, while not particularly wide is broader at 140mm and the platform is flatter. It is also softer with about 50% more foam thickness than the Lynx. This is an excellent all mountain, trail saddle that is particular good when the riding is technical and you are moving around the saddles alot.


    edit: I just realized that this only has the weight of the Lynx, but widths for both.

    FWIW:
    Chromag Lynx: 130mm
    Chromag Trailmaster: 140mm
    Chromag Cheiftan: 150mm
    TBC FR: 137.25mm
    TBC AM: 130.25mm
    Charge Spoon: 142.85mm

  11. #11
    kiwi knolly fan
    Reputation: mattypee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    According to the mfg (email exchange):
    The Lynx is fairly narrow at 130mm, it is also a firm saddle. It is quite light at 245g. This is a great epic saddle if your riding is long distance and you want a firm saddles with lots of pedaling clearance. It is also often used (in the DT version) for freeride and DH riders who want a light saddle that is not being sat on alot.

    The Trailmaster, while not particularly wide is broader at 140mm and the platform is flatter. It is also softer with about 50% more foam thickness than the Lynx. This is an excellent all mountain, trail saddle that is particular good when the riding is technical and you are moving around the saddles alot.


    edit: I just realized that this only has the weight of the Lynx, but widths for both.

    FWIW:
    Chromag Lynx: 130mm
    Chromag Trailmaster: 140mm
    Chromag Cheiftan: 150mm
    TBC FR: 137.25mm
    TBC AM: 130.25mm
    Charge Spoon: 142.85mm
    wow! thanks for finding all this info. thats really helpful.
    trailmaster doesnt look too wide - same as the SDG bel air at 140 also.

    cheers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •