2CH
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Chilly vs Bronson

Ok, just looking for a couple of opinions here...

I currently ride the old Endorphin, but am looking for something a little bit bigger, but can still climb semi-decently for those longer rides/days. I'm debating whether a Chilcotin will be overkill for XC/AM rides. I ride mostly in Western Canada (interior of BC and Alberta) with the occasional trip to the Shore or down to Moab. I haven't had the chance to demo either bike yet, so that's on the agenda, but just wanted to get some thoughts from those who may have ridden both.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    not the same bikes at all....the chil will let you evolve with your riding style and will allways inspire you to push more
    its a pure am bike

Dr. Pepper drinker
    The Chilcotin is a much more comfortable climber than the old Endorphin in my opinion. Much better pedal position overall to just sit and spin up the long XC climbs. Better for technical climbing as well, I no longer feel any need to drop the fork for climbing and ditched my Uturn internals for a fixed 170mm lyrik. Once you make the adjustment to a slightly more forward feel while decending it's a much better descender as well and capable of so much more if DH/freeride is your thing. I haven't ridden one but I think the Bronson is more comparable to the new Endorphin. Bronson is nice for sure but I don't think 650b is worth the loss of the 4x4 suspension for VPP. That's all personal preference though, plenty of folks love VPP.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Not sure where your located? but try Trailheads Cycle and ski in Salmon Arm Bc, Jim could probably arrange a demo for you, great service.

J:
    no E: = : )
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The Chilcotin is a much more comfortable climber than the old Endorphin in my opinion. Much better pedal position overall to just sit and spin up the long XC climbs. Better for technical climbing as well, I no longer feel any need to drop the fork for climbing and ditched my Uturn internals for a fixed 170mm lyrik. Once you make the adjustment to a slightly more forward feel while decending it's a much better descender as well and capable of so much more if DH/freeride is your thing. I haven't ridden one but I think the Bronson is more comparable to the new Endorphin. Bronson is nice for sure but I don't think 650b is worth the loss of the 4x4 suspension for VPP. That's all personal preference though, plenty of folks love VPP.
    Yes.. Where'z my 650 Chillybomb?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah I've tried both briefly, both are super capable bikes. I think the Bronson climbs a little better while the Knolly feels more active going down. There isn't a wrong choice here though, both bikes will leave you grinning every ride I'm certain. I'd pick the one you can get from a shop you like better.

mtbr member
    I spent a long day on a Bronson just before building up my Chili. I prefer the Chili but it isn't a fair comparison. The Chili has my parts so it is set up how I like it. I absolutely hated the CTD suspension on the Bronson. The fork felt like it didn't have bath oil. The shock lacked small bump compliance and was a bit wallowy in the midstroke. My float RC2 and CCDBA are so much better it is not even funny.

I was able to put that aside and find things I liked about the Bronson. It corners well, it's stable at speed, it climbs well and I felt comfortable on it quickly. A few more observations:

The Bronson descends better than expected but edge to the Chili.
    The Chili climbs better than expected but edge to the Bronson.
    The Bronson feels longer even though it is not.
    I love the braking on the chili due to the Horst link.
    I love the way VPP pedals on flat or rolling trails.

A Bronson would be rad with proper suspension. It would still be more trail oriented where the Chili is more of an AM bruiser. I wouldn't want to own both as they would be too close to one another. I don't have any buyer's remorse.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    DJ Giggity, that was interesting, have been thinking about the SC Solo to pair with the Chili, what do you reckon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    DJ Giggity, that was interesting, have been thinking about the SC Solo to pair with the Chili, what do you reckon?
    I would have to ride it. The spec on it confuses me a bit with the huge tires and dropper post. Obviously, those things can be changed but the big one is not super plush and the little one is not super light. Maybe it makes complete sense when you ride them.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    SC way over priced especially when you factor in that you also have to through the shock away. Why not buy the Endo 650 as a frame only and fit a Kirk? Save money and have a better bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    SC way over priced especially when you factor in that you also have to through the shock away. Why not buy the Endo 650 as a frame only and fit a Kirk? Save money and have a better bike.
    not for the alu version and yeah you have to buy the ctd and flog it.

exactly what makes you think the endo is better than the santa cruz solo?

mtbr member
    Don't discount the new Endo, I live in the East Kootenays and find it is great for around here. I also have ridden it in Moab and did not find it lacking. The Endo is more xc/trail, the Chili trail/am.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I wasn't at all impressed w the chili. I'd put my Bronson up against a 4x4 chili any day. Bronson rocks right out of the box.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronsondude View Post
    I wasn't at all impressed w the chili. I'd put my Bronson up against a 4x4 chili any day. Bronson rocks right out of the box.
    What did you prefer about the Bronson and what type of trails were you on?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    not for the alu version and yeah you have to buy the ctd and flog it.

exactly what makes you think the endo is better than the santa cruz solo?
    I had the old Endo and that was a great bike and by all accounts the new one is even better. I'll try getting a ride on the Solo but I would be suprised if I prefer it to the Endo.

mtbr member
    Haven't ridden the Bronson yet, but from the reports I've read, it sounds like it's closer to the Chilcotinthan some might think especially if you can put a proper 35-36mm 160 fork on it. Like DJ Giggity said, I think there's too much overlap to own them both, though I believe with proper coil/coil build and 180 fork I'm pretty sure the Chili is able to stretch into the FR/ DH/Park bike arena better. But the way most will build it up it's reasonalbly similar to the Bronson (as far as intent).

I'm really curious to see how a Norco Range 650 Killer B or Bronson built up burly would compare to the chili.

As a complement to my chili, I'm with cfrench, I think the Solo or Endo 650b, or Sight 650b would be a better choice to give some separation.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Haven't ridden the Bronson yet, but from the reports I've read, it sounds like it's closer to the Chilcotinthan some might think especially if you can put a proper 35-36mm 160 fork on it. Like DJ Giggity said, I think there's too much overlap to own them both, though I believe with proper coil/coil build and 180 fork I'm pretty sure the Chili is able to stretch into the FR/ DH/Park bike arena better. But the way most will build it up it's reasonalbly similar to the Bronson (as far as intent).

I'm really curious to see how a Norco Range 650 Killer B or Bronson built up burly would compare to the chili.

As a complement to my chili, I'm with cfrench, I think the Solo or Endo 650b, or Sight 650b would be a better choice to give some separation.
    Yeah those are my targets for next trail bike

When i reel in this second bike, my Chilcotin will get configed as a FR/DH/Park bike , but im only going 170mm on the forks (55 RC3 Ti, maybe AVA'd) and going AVA Woodie or CCDB Coil. Ill run this in the steep mode for all but the roughest/biggest terrain.

I think the Chili is one peg upwards in aggressiveness over the Bronson and two above the Range 650B. Ive rode the Range and i liked it alot as its quick, but its nowhere near as well made as the Knollys. I wouldnt swap my Chili for one as the Chili is the raddest bike ive ever owned im never selling it.

The Bronson is a top bike. But since ive got a Chili, IMO theres no point in going there whatsoever, ive got that type of bike/riding covered.

I like the thought of a Bronson and an Endo, or, Chilcotin and a Solo...but think the second pair gives the best 'range' in terms of seperation....and to put clarity on this, im intending to do on my next trail bike alot of what i already happily do on my Chili.

The Chili is the most versatile bike ive ever owned, but it needs a much better shock than a fox, to get all the goodness out of it.

Im hoping Knolly do something really nice with this Endo 650b and hoping not for a 150 bike that would close in on the Chili and make it like the Range 650b.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2CH View Post
    Ok, just looking for a couple of opinions here...

I currently ride the old Endorphin, but am looking for something a little bit bigger, but can still climb semi-decently for those longer rides/days. I'm debating whether a Chilcotin will be overkill for XC/AM rides. I ride mostly in Western Canada (interior of BC and Alberta) with the occasional trip to the Shore or down to Moab. I haven't had the chance to demo either bike yet, so that's on the agenda, but just wanted to get some thoughts from those who may have ridden both.

Thanks!
    I've ridden a Chilcotin and a Bronson C in Squamish. The Chilcotin had a Fox 36/RP23 build ~ 31lbs. The Bronson had the SPX AM build ie mostly XT and the stock WTB non-carbon wheels. Chilcotin had Minion f/Ardent R. Bronson had HR2s F/R

The Bronson was a bigger bike than the Chilcotin in the sense of feeling like it was more aggro. Both bikes climbed about the same. The Chilcotin climbs like a classic 4 bar ie absorbing terrain and the rear suspension activating. The Bronson climbed firm. I like the Chilcotin but am pretty meh on the Bronson. It's a nice enough bike but for that price it should have blown me away - it didn't. To be honest I find both bikes to be nice enough but not blow the doors off special.

Squamish trails are like the more mellow Moose Mountain trails if it helps.

I thought the Chilcotin would be fine if a bit overbiked for most of the riding you'll do. The Bronson would be overkill for anything except say Nelson shuttles of Martha Creek in Revy. Most people on MTBR are over-biked for the terrain they ride so don't let that opinion sway you.

IMO one should buy a bike to suit the majority of the terrain you'll do so the occasional trips to the Shore and Moab are a non-issue. An Endorphin would be fine if the rider has a decent skill-set. I don't see either bikes you mentioned as a significant upgrade.

Hope this injection of direct personal experience helps
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    The Bronson was a bigger bike than the Chilcotin in the sense of feeling like it was more aggro.
    I find this comment very interesting. I know you have spent time on way more bikes than I have but I had the exact opposite impression.

Just out of curiosity, what bikes do you consider to be blow your doors off special?
    - Albert Einstein

Flacko
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    I find this comment very interesting. I know you have spent time on way more bikes than I have but I had the exact opposite impression.

Just out of curiosity, what bikes do you consider to be blow your doors off special?
    yah--- really lee, what kinda cunucky are ya? ; )

but really, you ride a lotta bikes. what outta ALL the new shiny baubles in bike world gets your rocks off?

i am torn between new endo 650/spitfire/chili/stumpy EVO, with part time obsessions over reigns/ black market roam/new canfield 650 trailbike, for a 30 ish lb trail build to complement my "classic mtbr overbiked" delerium. always come back to the knolly for quality and ride characteristics....

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    my Chilcotin will get configed as a FR/DH/Park bike
    After riding my Transition TR250 and my Chilcotin on the same trails, I feel the Chilcotin is limited as a freeride bike. Maybe with a 180mm fork and a coil shock it would be better, but if you are going to the park more than a couple times a year it's not enough bike in my opinion.

2CH
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

I still really enjoy my Endorphin, but there are a few things about it I guess that I don't really like, or would change if I could...

First, that the geometry seems to put me way in the back seat when climbing with the way the seat tube/suspension is designed. I have my seat forward as much as possible, but I have fairly long legs so it ends up being pretty far off the back still which makes for a somewhat unbalanced climbing position. I've tried a longer stem but don't like the handling/descending with that configuration, so it's a compromise as it is now. I haven't had the chance to ride a Chilcotin yet, but I've heard they are slightly more balanced than the older Knollys, and the Bronson was designed to be a 6 and 6 bike and from the ride reports I've read/heard it's a pretty decent all around bike. Plus the shop I deal with sells Santa Cruz so I wouldn't have to go looking to far to pick one up.

Second, the Endo doesn't have a tapered head tube, and although this seems like a small detail, the bikes I've ridden with tapered forks seem WAY stiffer in the front end, which is confidence inspiring to me as I'm over 200 lbs.

Third, I'll never win any races on the climbs anyways, so I would like a slightly bigger bike to make the descents more fun. I think a 150-160mm bike with a light but strong build will be just as easy (or easier) to climb with, but make the downhills better for me. I demoed a Rocky Slayer last year and liked how it handled all around Ė I would say it climbed as well or better than my Endorphin but was definitely a better descender.

Lee, you seem to have ridden a lot of the same trails/areas that I have. When I say occasional trips to the Shore, I mean several times a year, plus I try to get to Squamish/Whistler etc when I'm there, so it does factor into the equation a bit. I like to ride the burlier trails as well, so a bigger bike I think would suit my riding style more than the Endorphin does now. Call it overbiked if you will, but with the right build I think one of these could be a great do it all bike for someone my size that isn't exactly easy on gear.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I don't have a Chili and my only Knolly experience was with a D-T I had for a few months.

I did recently purchase a Bronson, the aluminum version. I got a great deal locally on the low-end RAM27 kit and replaced most of the stock parts with preference items. With my upgrades, flats, a dropper post and realistic tires for AZ terrain, the bike weighs right around 30 pounds.

I will say, the Bronson is a lot of bike. It's much, much more of an AM than trail bike. I had the idea initially to have it as a third bike in conjunction with my M9 and my coil/coil 34-pound Titus El Guapo.

In reality, the Bronson and EG are mining the same territory. The air-sprung Bronson is almost as plush as the EG and climbs miles better, even in the fully open "descend" setting.

The Bronson is a pretty nice bike overall. I like it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Second, the Endo doesn't have a tapered head tube, and although this seems like a small detail, the bikes I've ridden with tapered forks seem WAY stiffer in the front end, which is confidence inspiring to me as I'm over 200 lbs.

The new endo has a 1.5" head tube. Runs tapered forks with appropriate headset. It did occur to me that you might already know that but it wasn't clear so I figured I'd drop in the factoid.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004

I still really enjoy my Endorphin, but there are a few things about it I guess that I don't really like, or would change if I could...

Third, I'll never win any races on the climbs anyways, so I would like a slightly bigger bike to make the descents more fun. I think a 150-160mm bike with a light but strong build will be just as easy (or easier) to climb with, but make the downhills better for me. I demoed a Rocky Slayer last year and liked how it handled all around Ė I would say it climbed as well or better than my Endorphin but was definitely a better descender.
    2CH - is that 2 Swiss?

Seems I wasn't the only one between sizes. The older Endorphin had such a slack STA and I ran so much seatpost I too was always behind the seat and basically wheelying up climbs. It hurt the back to climb. I liked it so much on the downs that I tolerated the fit shortcomings for the up but finally cracked and replaced it with a Pivot Mach 5; got that because of a screaming deal with the frame but still not totally in love with it.

Lee, you seem to have ridden a lot of the same trails/areas that I have. When I say occasional trips to the Shore, I mean several times a year, plus I try to get to Squamish/Whistler etc when I'm there, so it does factor into the equation a bit. I like to ride the burlier trails as well, so a bigger bike I think would suit my riding style more than the Endorphin does now. Call it overbiked if you will, but with the right build I think one of these could be a great do it all bike for someone my size that isn't exactly easy on gear.
    Yah i misunderstood and thought you might just do 1 trip a year. If its more than one trip and you prefer to size the bikes for down rather than up its hard to argue against the Chilcotin - PROVIDED THE BIKE FITS YOU. Great support, better than average descender. Try to avoid the Fox 2013 garbage on it or get it revalved asap. Build it how you want. I'm a big believer in local support so get it from a shop that can service it if you're getting something a little lesser known like a Knolly.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    These deserve a bit more of a considered response given that my initial comment kind of hung in space a bit

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post

To expand on it more the Bronson seemed to want to prefer fast and straight. That's fine in many areas. Not so good for the tighter trails of North Van, Squamish, Whistler valley trails, Pemby but better for the more point and shoot trails. The Chilcotin popped off stuff. The Bronson absorbed stuff. Riding the Bronson felt like riding a more maneuverable Demo 7.

Quote Originally Posted by altadank View Post
    yah--- really lee, what kinda cunucky are ya? ; )

but really, you ride a lotta bikes. what outta ALL the new shiny baubles in bike world gets your rocks off?

i am torn between new endo 650/spitfire/chili/stumpy EVO, with part time obsessions over reigns/ black market roam/new canfield 650 trailbike, for a 30 ish lb trail build to complement my "classic mtbr overbiked" delerium. always come back to the knolly for quality and ride characteristics....
    Remember that I actually enjoy climbing so people who suffer through the climbs just to rip descents may disagree.

The last bike I thought was "special" was the Tallboy C. It was the first 29er I tried that didn't plow downhills like a garbage scow (Altitude and Shinobi for eg were classic plow 29ers) but also went uphill really well. Now that others have seemed to figured out that a 29er doesn't have to handle in twisties like crap in the short travel cat the Turner Czar and the RM Element seem to also fit the bill.

In the mid travel cat I thought the Bandit 26 was special. It was simple, poppy, climbed well, descended like a mini DH bike. Personally I'm holding out for it in carbon but I have zero inside knowledge there. I'd replace the Pivot M5 with this in a heartbeat. The "specialness" of this was its playfullness. Some like that. Some prefer bikes that absorb everything so that is totally subjective

In the long travel cat nothing's blown the doors off me yet. Lots of sexy unobtanium out there but the problem is that when someone gives me a 10k bike to ride I tend to get more demanding; a 10k bike better be at least above average.

Of the more recent bikes I've tried comparable to the Chilcotin, the Norco Range Killer B Three has impressed me the most so far. It's a 2800 bike that I enjoyed as much as the Bronson and was a hell of a lot cheaper. The Altitude was above average descending and average climbing. The Chilli is the same as the Altitude. The Range was superb descending and below average climbing (weight). The Firebird (both 26 and 650b) were above average descending/climbing. Much of these impressions were coloured too by the stock Fox 2013 CTD suspensions on many of the bikes which I've considered to be incredibly disappointing and significantly detract from ride quality.

But to get even wordier and to give context all bikes have compromises. When I hear horsepuckey like xxx bike is godsgift uphill/downhill will do your dishes for you its vomit-inducing fanboyism but having said that, its to be expected when someone has spent an ungodly amount of $ and is so emotionally invested in their choice. So more context, imo Tallboy C was superlative climber/average descender but $$$. Bandit 26 was above average descending/climbing and very reasonable.

mtbr member

In the mid travel cat I thought the Bandit 26 was special. It was simple, poppy, climbed well, descended like a mini DH bike. Personally I'm holding out for it in carbon but I have zero inside knowledge there. I'd replace the Pivot M5 with this in a heartbeat. The "specialness" of this was its playfullness. Some like that.

Bandit 26 was above average descending/climbing and very reasonable.
    LeeL. Have you had a chance to try the new Endo? It sounds very similar to the Bandit; snappy, playful, climbs very well, fun on the downs. It would be interesting to hear your impressions.

J:

wonder if Bronson works w/coil...

Does the Bronson feel like a Nomad, w/ larger wheelbase, or completely different animal?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    G-Air I haven't. Wonder if I'd have the same fit issues as with the older Endo.

Deerhill - I haven't tried a Nomad so have no insight

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Does the Bronson feel like a Nomad, w/ larger wheelbase, or completely different animal?
    Lots of good info from SC's Joe G. here Prepare for the 650b Wheel-Size Revolution - Page 43 - North Shore Mountain Biking Forums

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The Bronson was a bigger bike than the Chilcotin in the sense of feeling like it was more aggro.

i totally disagree. its not bigger or more aggro. dont know how you arrived at this. it just made me doubt the credibility of everything else you said.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    When I hear horsepuckey like xxx bike is godsgift uphill/downhill will do your dishes for you its vomit-inducing fanboyism but having said that, its to be expected when someone has spent an ungodly amount of $ and is so emotionally invested in their choice.
    Indeed.
    Sadly that biased noise gets in the way of intelligent discourse.

Bnerd
    dont know how you arrived at this. it just made me doubt the credibility of everything else you said.
    I realize that this is the interwebz, but are you for real?
    If this comment isn't being made in sarcastic jest then my previous opinion of you has been totally solidified.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    i totally disagree. its not bigger or more aggro. dont know how you arrived at this. it just made me doubt the credibility of everything else you said.
    No offence but I'm not going to lose a wink of sleep over your opinion about my opinions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    I realize that this is the interwebz, but are you for real?
    If this comment isn't being made in sarcastic jest then my previous opinion of you has been totally solidified.

+1
    "Lightweight , durable , inexpensive
    Pick 2."

mtbr member
    Once again the verbal diarrhea seems to have slipped out on you...you might want to wipe that up and think before you respond next time?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You better have put a bunch of ride time on both bikes. If not, you are a perfect example of what's wrong with forums.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wonder if I'd have the same fit issues as with the older Endo.
    You plan to use the wrong size again? I remember you once commented that it "climbed like ass." Mine climbed great, properly sized.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

J:
    Thanks airwreck, and Leel. Have not read much on the Bronson, only Blatants writeup, and kind of stopped thinking about that frame when I read he put some arches on (even though I don't know much about those newer ex rims). Your comments have caught my interest..ears popped right up particularly when comparing it to the Demo 7.. now wondering what size shock it can take

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    You plan to use the wrong size again? I remember you once commented that it "climbed like ass." Mine climbed great, properly sized.
    The climbing like ass comment was out of line & in relation to the old Endo. It was frustration because of wanting to love the bike but not feeling the joy on the uphill. In the old Endo I had a medium. The large was too big. Hopefully I get a chance to try a Med and Large new Endo. When trying my wife's M Chilcotin I'm in between sizes too so reality level is pegged accordingly as i might be between sizes.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Thanks airwreck, and Leel. Have not read much on the Bronson, only Blatants writeup, and kind of stopped thinking about that frame when I read he put some arches on (even though I don't know much about those newer ex rims). Your comments have caught my interest..ears popped right up particularly when comparing it to the Demo 7.. now wondering what size shock it can take
    Interesting. I typically run Flows, but have found the newer Flow EX to be burly enough to run on my DH bike. Thought it would be interesting to try the Arch EX. Doesn't mean I've adjusted my riding. So far, the wheels have been up/down National twice, and on most of the truly tech stuff at Phoenix Mountain Preserves (Hairball, Upper and Lower Cheesegrater, etc).

Holding up well to this point and the 1 pound loss in rotating weight was really noticeable climbing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The climbing like ass comment was out of line & in relation to the old Endo. It was frustration because of wanting to love the bike but not feeling the joy on the uphill. In the old Endo I had a medium. The large was too big. Hopefully I get a chance to try a Med and Large new Endo. When trying my wife's M Chilcotin I'm in between sizes too so reality level is pegged accordingly as i might be between sizes.
    Can't argue with that. Large with the seat fwd is for you. I too can shoehorn myself onto the medium, doesn't work.

mtbr member
    Cfrench, if you are going to send me PM's asking me out on a date:

cfrench
    mtbr member

want to meet up?

want to meet up?

Dont block my return PM's or you wont get any action!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Cfrench, if you are going to send me PM's asking me out on a date:

cfrench
    mtbr member

want to meet up?

want to meet up?

Dont block my return PM's or you wont get any action!

I know this guy, hes well respected in our neck of the woods. You are out of order Buzz. I watched the last thread with all your *****ing for no reason. You did it again here. Get a life and grow up. Try contributing aswell, you seem to do very little of this.

mtbr member
    The fact that you joined mtbr.com 3 days ago and now have 1 post doesnt raise any suspicions in my book.

I am simply asking the guy to think before he speaks, I dont think it is too much to ask.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It's a lot to ask. If it weren't, 79% of the posts on MTBR would never be made.

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Interesting. I typically run Flows, but have found the newer Flow EX to be burly enough to run on my DH bike. Thought it would be interesting to try the Arch EX. Doesn't mean I've adjusted my riding. So far, the wheels have been up/down National twice, and on most of the truly tech stuff at Phoenix Mountain Preserves (Hairball, Upper and Lower Cheesegrater, etc).

Holding up well to this point and the 1 pound loss in rotating weight was really noticeable climbing.
    Checking out the arches, they do seem different now. Did similar for summer wheels (switch to lighter rim), I use tubes though and really prefer the way tires behave on a 25mm+ rim. . after reading, it might be time for me to try tubeless again

mtbr member
    so you've demo'd a bronson???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dispersion View Post
    I know this guy, hes well respected in our neck of the woods. You are out of order Buzz. I watched the last thread with all your *****ing for no reason. You did it again here. Get a life and grow up. Try contributing aswell, you seem to do very little of this.
    lol. classic first post. coming to the defense of knolly's no1 uk fanboi. remember he's the guy who wanted a free radical but didn't think am hardtails needed anything more than 140mm travel up front

he's a perfect example of why manufacturer forums can suck, blind love. lots of cam[anies make great bikes. it may not be what you ride, but that doesnt make it crap. no company hits every category number one whether its cars, tvs, computers or bikes etc. it's just not possible

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    look im not explaining myself as you have chosen to be presumptious, the only way to deal with presumptious people is not to argue, you argue only to feel self justified. you know nothing about me or my background, or my trails, or whats bikes ive ridden in the past or of late, how i like to ride, how i like to configure my bikes. you dont know me. you also assume that because i dont get into an argument with you that you must be right. if it makes you feel like somebody just because you have the last say then good for you. i dont care.

mtbr member
    You obviously do care, or you wouldnt send me private messages, and then block my response. Seems to me that that is someone looking to get the last word doesnt it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You obviously do care, or you wouldnt send me private messages, and then block my response. Seems to me that that is someone looking to get the last word doesnt it?
    but you just did the same thing...dont you see whats wrong with that...pot calling the kettle black...arguing for the sake of it.

mtbr member
    This is an excellent question....

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    look im not explaining myself as you have chosen to be presumptious, the only way to deal with presumptious people is not to argue, you argue only to feel self justified. you know nothing about me or my background, or my trails, or whats bikes ive ridden in the past or of late, how i like to ride, how i like to configure my bikes. you dont know me. you also assume that because i dont get into an argument with you that you must be right. if it makes you feel like somebody just because you have the last say then good for you. i dont care.
    The problem you've encountered here; Qbert is far better at complaining than arguing.

mtbr member
    I would be interested cfrench if you've ridden a Bronson ? Typically when people make fairly bold statements about the intended purpose or feel of a bike the person has actually ridden it. If you have please give a more detailed review. If you haven't continue your pi$$ing contest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I would be interested cfrench if you've ridden a Bronson ? Typically when people make fairly bold statements about the intended purpose or feel of a bike the person has actually ridden it. If you have please give a more detailed review. If you haven't continue your pi$$ing contest.
    Just give him some time to log out, then his "friend" can defend him again

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    Just give him some time to log out, then his "friend" can defend him again

youre a fuxkin dcik

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    This all totally subjective as I ride different trails from you lot but hereís what I found: both bikes were Medium. My Chili is set-up with an RP23 tuned to its best possible settings for me and the bike is 30.5lbs. The Bronson was about the same weight and had a CTD and was set-up stiffer than FOX suggests and left in Trail setting. Both bikes had 36 Floats. The Chili and Bronson feel different underneath you when riding but donít feel all that different in terms of physical size, if anything the Chili feels slightly longer to me.

The Bronson felt less of a chore on the fire roads than the Chili. However the rear wheel of the Bronson caught a little when climbing over rock or roots on steeper slopes. The Chilli doesnít do this. A lot of the time this doesnít matter, as it just means a little extra effort, but itís something Iím really grateful for when my legs start tiring. This led me to believe that you need more momentum on the Bronson to clear tricky bits, or in other words, at slower speeds you can clear the same features with less effort on the Chili.

In berms the Bronson was quicker on the exit but I think this might be more me than it is the Chili. My last bike was a Tracer (which I now realise was let down more by the shock than by design). I find these bikes really easy when cornering, almost like you donít have to do anything, whereas with the Chili you need to own your moves and work the bike to maintain the same momentum.

On a medium steep but really narrow (foot wide) decent with sizeable roots and lots of shale, I was faster on the Chili because of its neutrality with regard to my body position which meant i could concentrate on getting more pedal strokes in because of this, all I really had to concentrate on was the position of my pedals in the corners. On the same decent the Bronson needed me to adjust my body weight more across the bike and so not pedalling as often as on the Chili, but then the Bronson required less effort in the berms. This meant I could shred the trail better on the Chili but would lose a little of this benefit when cornering.

When the speed really increases both bikes lighten up as all bikes do and each is as playful and as capable as the other but there was a difference to the feel of the trail and that just have been down to the shock set-ups and nothing else.

On flatter trails, your over gunned on them both, each bike absorbs a lot of the trail which is a detriment to both bikes (and is made worse by wide sticky tyres), but this is mostly a weight thing and is a characteristic of most bikes in the 160 travel category.

Chili:
    Climbs like a Trail/AM bike
    Berms: Good but you have to work the bike
    Descends like a AM/FR/Mini-DH bike

Bronson:
    Climbs like a Trail bike.
    Berms: Rails
    Descends like an AM bike.

In the end im glad ive got the Chili, and if I wanted to, I could sell it tomorrow and buy a Bronson frame. But I love the Chilcotins character, its my play bike and my favorite AM bike, whether it can be someone elseís depends on them, their physical strengths/weaknesses, their trail, their style of riding and the way they choose to set the bike up. Of course, my Chili is a compromise for me, but what I compromise in, and what I gain (mostly in the aggressive side of things) from this compromise results in the right balance for me with respect to what I look for in a fun bike to ride on my type of trails.

If there one bike that the Bronson reminds me of itís the SX Trail (like a slightly smaller version). But the SX Trail couldnít hold a candle to the Bronsonís climbing ability. I agree with Lee that the Bandit is a great bike but itís not in the same category, it would be better compared against the Endo. I rode the Bronson because there are no Solos here yet, but I can now say this: my next trail bike might well be either the Endo 650b or the SC Solo (Bronsonís little brother). But ill have to demo them back to back at a trail centre local to me to be able to decide. The bike that excels in the things that Ive compromised by owning the Chili will be the bike that Iíll want most.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    This all totally subjective as I ride different trails from you lot but hereís what I found: both bikes were Medium. My Chili is set-up with an RP23 tuned to its best possible settings for me and the bike is 30.5lbs. The Bronson was about the same weight and had a CTD and was set-up stiffer than FOX suggests and left in Trail setting. Both bikes had 36 Floats. The Chili and Bronson feel different underneath you when riding but donít feel all that different in terms of physical size, if anything the Chili feels slightly longer to me.

The Bronson felt less of a chore on the fire roads than the Chili. However the rear wheel of the Bronson caught a little when climbing over rock or roots on steeper slopes. The Chilli doesnít do this. A lot of the time this doesnít matter, as it just means a little extra effort, but itís something Iím really grateful for when my legs start tiring. This led me to believe that you need more momentum on the Bronson to clear tricky bits, or in other words, at slower speeds you can clear the same features with less effort on the Chili.

In berms the Bronson was quicker on the exit but I think this might be more me than it is the Chili. My last bike was a Tracer (which I now realise was let down more by the shock than by design). I find these bikes really easy when cornering, almost like you donít have to do anything, whereas with the Chili you need to own your moves and work the bike to maintain the same momentum.

On a medium steep but really narrow (foot wide) decent with sizeable roots and lots of shale, I was faster on the Chili because of its neutrality with regard to my body position which meant i could concentrate on getting more pedal strokes in because of this, all I really had to concentrate on was the position of my pedals in the corners. On the same decent the Bronson needed me to adjust my body weight more across the bike and so not pedalling as often as on the Chili, but then the Bronson required less effort in the berms. This meant I could shred the trail better on the Chili but would lose a little of this benefit when cornering.

When the speed really increases both bikes lighten up as all bikes do and each is as playful and as capable as the other but there was a difference to the feel of the trail and that just have been down to the shock set-ups and nothing else.

On flatter trails, your over gunned on them both, each bike absorbs a lot of the trail which is a detriment to both bikes (and is made worse by wide sticky tyres), but this is mostly a weight thing and is a characteristic of most bikes in the 160 travel category.

Chili:
    Climbs like a Trail/AM bike
    Berms: Good but you have to work the bike
    Descends like a AM/FR/Mini-DH bike

Bronson:
    Climbs like a Trail bike.
    Berms: Rails
    Descends like an AM bike.

In the end im glad ive got the Chili, and if I wanted to, I could sell it tomorrow and buy a Bronson frame. But I love the Chilcotins character, its my play bike and my favorite AM bike, whether it can be someone elseís depends on them, their physical strengths/weaknesses, their trail, their style of riding and the way they choose to set the bike up. Of course, my Chili is a compromise for me, but what I compromise in, and what I gain (mostly in the aggressive side of things) from this compromise results in the right balance for me with respect to what I look for in a fun bike to ride on my type of trails.

If there one bike that the Bronson reminds me of itís the SX Trail (like a slightly smaller version). But the SX Trail couldnít hold a candle to the Bronsonís climbing ability. I agree with Lee that the Bandit is a great bike but itís not in the same category, it would be better compared against the Endo. I rode the Bronson because there are no Solos here yet, but I can now say this: my next trail bike might well be either the Endo 650b or the SC Solo (Bronsonís little brother). But ill have to demo them back to back at a trail centre local to me to be able to decide. The bike that excels in the things that Ive compromised by owning the Chili will be the bike that Iíll want most.
    I think you just made all that up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    back from a ride this morning, i remembered another thing today that i can add, when riding along skinny logs i can pedal the chili / brake and not lose balance, as the bike is very stiff, but i found it slighty harder on the bronson as pedalling and feathering the brakes produced some 'bounce' (independent of brake dive on the forks) which offsets balance slightly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    frenchy, nice review. When do you expect to be able to test out the Solo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    frenchy, nice review. When do you expect to be able to test out the Solo?
    its hard to say as the solos are sold out for the next 2 drops, its looking like late august. if the new endo 650 drops start of sept then going to try and get the uk distributor to lend me the new knolly to bring up here and test them alongside each other around the locals.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    its hard to say as the solos are sold out for the next 2 drops, its looking like late august. if the new endo 650 drops start of sept then going to try and get the uk distributor to lend me the new knolly to bring up here and test them alongside each other around the locals.
    testing both together is a nice move. Keep us informed.

mtbr member
    nice review earlier, my bad for doubting you. but i have to say its better to post your own review than to just outright dismiss someone else's like you did even if his conclusions differ from your own. you don't look like a fanboi when you back up that you've at least tried the competition which you did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    nice review earlier, my bad for doubting you. but i have to say its better to post your own review than to just outright dismiss someone else's like you did even if his conclusions differ from your own. you don't look like a fanboi when you back up that you've at least tried the competition which you did.
    your right. i posted something when i was short of time and should have waited until i was able to explain where i was coming from. in the knolly hardtail thread it was the same thing, lack of time and patience, my bad ...we live and learn