Thread: Chilly Upgrades

MC MasterShake

Chilly Upgrades

So the after spending a couple months on the Endo my Chilly felt kinda, well flat. I was having issues with my CCDBA, my wheels were pretty trashed, and I beefed up the Endo to a point where it could hit smaller drops and features. The Endo was quickly becoming the Chilly. So with a looming trip out west with the Chilly I decided to create some separation and do some "freshening".

Avy Woodie Shock-
    After having to send my CCDBA in a 3rd time for repairs and it not feeling good for the past couple of months I decided I needed a change. I considered the CCDBC briefly as I have one on my Delirium and it's been rock solid. But after seeing the new CS coming out I got kind of gunshy. I did more digging into the Avy and e-mailed back and forth with Craig. I decided I needed something before my trip and gave it a go. Gotta say this shock is freaking amazing! It stays up really high in it's travel and uses it just perfectly. My biggest issue with the CCDBA was trying to dial out the squat when you cranked up steep hills. I always felt like power was getting sucked away. I mentioned that to Craig and mentioned the CS stuff from CaneCreek. He told me that those levers are gimmicks and I that he'd take care of fixing the squatting affect, and he was right. I was also pleasantly surprised at the overall plushness of the shock in every aspect. High speed hits through rock gardens get smoothed out. More control when casing tables (and I case a lot), more controlled feeling through high speed berms and turns, better bottom out control on larger drops. It's pretty much everything I ever wanted in a shock.

Light-Bicycles Enduro Carbon Rims (Chinese-Carbon) -
    Since my Stans flows were flat spotted out and were having issues getting wheels to tubeless I decided I needed a change. I definitely wanted wider rims so the search began. I've been following the LB Carbon rims for some time and it looks like their latest rim was going to be a winner. 385 grams, 33 external/26 internal width, tubeless compatible at around $170 a rim. Pricey for a rim but a bargain where carbon is concerned. So I ordered them up and had them make them w/o the spoke holes so I could tubeless them up w/o tape. I built them up with the I-9 hubs I had on my Stan's and tubelessed them right up. Gotta say these rims are pretty pretty pretty good. Surprisingly beefy, super wide, very light and stiff. You can feel the weight loss at the rims immediately. Cornering on them is amazing as it feels like it stiffens up the entire bike. I'm really happy with them. Fingers are crossed that they hold up to my abuse.

Chromag Leather Saddle -
    Not a huge upgrade but one that's surprisingly noticeable. A ton more comfy than my WTB rocket that I had on their before. Plus it looks pimp!

Fork Oil Change -
    So I tried my 180Float alongside the Avy and I really didn't like it. I could really tell the fork was not coil, which is odd since I never noticed it on my Delirium with CCDB. I also felt like the Chilly lost some playfullness with the larger fork upfront. I gave it 2 weeks and went back to my Van36. But first I change the oil and found it bone dry. Now with a fresh addition of oil it matches up really well to the Avy. Yeah, getting the Avy cartridge would be sick but I don't really feel the need for it right now.

So the upgrades along with fresh cable changes and such have made me fall back in love with the Chilly. It's not as zippy as the Endo but the upgrades have made it closer and I don't have to back down from the bigger features. I can also re-lighten the Endo as beefing it up made it lose some of its personality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chilly Upgrades-chilly.jpg  

Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Nice woodyak, glad you are happy with the Avy. Best thing I ever did to my Chili.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Nice woodyak, glad you are happy with the Avy. Best thing I ever did to my Chili.
    +1. That always seems to be the theme.
    "sounds like you need to find a better mechanic..." -- Calhoun

mtbr member
    I have had exactly the same experience with the Woodie. It is impressive how much better the coil spring makes the bike pedal. The CCDB Air is a great shock but quite mushy in comparison. I am having some valving issues with my Woodie and it may have to go back to Avalanche but the feel and smoothness of the shock is outstanding.

I didn't have good luck with the Light Bicycle rims on my Chilcotin. I cracked two rear rims within a few months of each other, gave up and went back to a Flow rim in the rear. These were the first generation rims, not the ones built with the new manufacturing process. The front wheel has been going strong without any trouble, even with several months of riding and racing it several enduro events. I have recently built a new wheelset with Light Bicycle rims on my 29er trail bike and so far so good.

How hard was it to lace them without rim bed spoke holes? How did you get the nipples through?

The bike looks great!

Knollician
    Welcome to the Avy club. I've been on the Avy bandwagon for a long, long time, and it is the best thing you can do for your bike. It won't be long until you put an Avy cartridge in that VAN.

I too would like to know how you laced the wheels if the inner rim is not drilled.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Welcome to the Avy club. I've been on the Avy bandwagon for a long, long time, and it is the best thing you can do for your bike. It won't be long until you put an Avy cartridge in that VAN.

I too would like to know how you laced the wheels if the inner rim is not drilled.
    +1 on the "not drilled" part. (I thought it was my ignorance; but if nybike1971 and tiSS'er don't understand I don't feel so foolish.)

Also, a huge shout out to tiSS'er. Now, there are many Avy evangelists; but, IMO, he got the whole thing rolling. I know I bought based on tiSS'er's recommendation and I'm sure many others did. Craig should throw some swag his way. And, MTBR or PB should pick him up to write reviews. He does a great job and knows what he's talking about.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the detailed update on the AVY on the Chilly - particularly the pedaling aspect. I tempted to get one on the Delirium, as I love the one on the Podium.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by TSC View Post
    +1 on the "not drilled" part. (I thought it was my ignorance; but if nybike1971 and tiSS'er don't understand I don't feel so foolish.)

Also, a huge shout out to tiSS'er. Now, there are many Avy evangelists; but, IMO, he got the whole thing rolling. I know I bought based on tiSS'er's recommendation and I'm sure many others did. Craig should throw some swag his way. And, MTBR or PB should pick him up to write reviews. He does a great job and knows what he's talking about.

Thanks TSC, but Craig doesn't owe me anything, nor do I get discounts for my reviews, I pay the same price everyone else does. I push hard on the Avy stuff because I think it is the best out there. I've tried lots of different products, and none compare. Even when I bought the 55 last week, I would have never considered it if an Avy cartridge was not available. I've had many conversations with Craig, and each time he teaches me something new. The guy really knows his stuff, and the products he puts out are not some shot in the dark. They are built based on his incredible knowledge of suspension and the product for which it is built. I like to see shredders like Woodyak, Muttonchops, rcecil007, and nybike1971 enjoying their bikes more now that they have a better shock or fork.

Having owned a small business, it is great to see guys like Craig succeed. He doesn't advertise, he depends on guys like us to spread the good word. I'd be willing to bet that he picks up some new business based on the review of Woodyak. One of the reasons I ride Knolly bikes is due to Kevin and Noel. Not only do I like to support the little guy, but these guys genuinely appreciate the business and are willing to support their customers. I can email Kevin and rarely is it more than a few minutes before I have an answer.

Craig has earned a lifetime customer. It's great to see the Knolly crew supporting Craig

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Thanks for the detailed update on the AVY on the Chilly - particularly the pedaling aspect. I tempted to get one on the Delirium, as I love the one on the Podium.
    Pedaling was one of my major gripes about the CCDB and my biggest reason for switching to a Woodie. When running the CCDB, I never had an issue on the descents, but the climbs felt like the bike sunk into it's mid-stroke too far and I had issues eating up too much travel in rock gardens. The only way I could combat this was via additional LSC and a touch more HSC. The Woodie fixed this. Bike rides higher in its travel, less bottoming out in rock gardens, and I dont feel like I've lost anything on the descents. It's about the same "plush-ness," but feels more bottomless. The CCDB definitely had a harsh bottom out if pushed too far.

mtbr member
    Well I have to give a shout out to G-AIR, b/c Tim had an Avy'd Fox for his Chili LONG LONG ago, and I think may have been the first to throw one on a Chili. I spoke to him several times when I wasn't really stoked on my DB Air, and ordered one up from Craig soon after.

But I think Tiss'er really got the ball rolling getting more folks on board with his in depth reviews. I'm really not sure what questions are left unanswered when Brandon does a write up, which helps tremendously for anyone on the fence.

mtbr member
    Well I have to give a shout out to G-AIR, b/c Tim had an Avy'd Fox for his Chili LONG LONG ago, and I think may have been the first to throw one on a Chili. I spoke to him several times when I wasn't really stoked on my DB Air, and ordered one up from Craig.

But I think Tiss'er really got the ball rolling getting more folks on board with his in depth reviews. I'm really not sure what questions are left unanswered when Brandon does a write up, which helps tremendously for anyone on the fence.
    I bet it is an incredible upgrade. I just cant justify the $$$ though. Unless I wasn't a recreational rider i'd possibly do it.

mtbr member
    The shock up grade really isn't that bad if you can find a used DHX or a Van RC.

The fork cart is a bit more of a commitment though.

mtbr member
    The shock up grade really isn't that bad if you can find a used DHX or a Van RC.

One of the problems I see with me is my location. I am in New Mexico with every bit of terrain. We have some true all mountain stuff here. We have some crazy chunk in the desert along with higher altitude riding (Sandias). We were talking the other day that our trails are so fluctuating its hard to dial our bikes in because minutes later, you are doing straight up climbs from a flowy single track, to gnarly downhill chunk.

I hear people say Craig asks what type of terrain you ride in. We do basically do all the terrain rides in each single ride. Wouldn't know where to start telling him how to dial something in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G View Post
    One of the problems I see with me is my location. I am in New Mexico with every bit of terrain. We have some true all mountain stuff here. We have some crazy chunk in the desert along with higher altitude riding (Sandias). We were talking the other day that our trails are so fluctuating its hard to dial our bikes in because minutes later, you are doing straight up climbs from a flowy single track, to gnarly downhill chunk.

I hear people say Craig asks what type of terrain you ride in. We do basically do all the terrain rides in each single ride. Wouldn't know where to start telling him how to dial something in.
    give him a shout. he can discuss it with you. i also have a dhx4 that i'd sell to someone who wants to save a bit over going with the woodie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B Gillespie View Post
    Pedaling was one of my major gripes about the CCDB and my biggest reason for switching to a Woodie. When running the CCDB, I never had an issue on the descents, but the climbs felt like the bike sunk into it's mid-stroke too far and I had issues eating up too much travel in rock gardens. The only way I could combat this was via additional LSC and a touch more HSC. The Woodie fixed this. Bike rides higher in its travel, less bottoming out in rock gardens, and I dont feel like I've lost anything on the descents. It's about the same "plush-ness," but feels more bottomless. The CCDB definitely had a harsh bottom out if pushed too far.
    Thanks for the follow-up

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Woodie vs BOS Stoy, I would love to compare. I reckon it would be a close match.

TSC
    Buehliever
    My 66 is a year-old holdover fork that I got for under $500. My 55 micro tst (air) I bought on SteepAndCheap for under $500 several years ago. The Avy carts made them better than the top-of-the-line model and I paid less in total.

Sure, I wish I had the 55 RC3 Titanium (full length TI spring). Craig assured me that it would feel much better than my 55 micro tst; but on any downhill part of the Moab Porcupine Rim trail (especially the ledgy, rocky parts) I was the fastest of anyone I encountered. I would just pass people anywhere. Everyone was following these little trails and I was bombing through the rocks. My "prowess" was due to the bike and the setup (Avy'd front and rear), not because of my mad skillz.

mtbr member

One of the reason I have yet to send in my DHX. Not only is the terrain greatly varied within our state, but we are centrally located to make quick trips to Durango, Moab, PHX... and all those trails have their own flavour.

From the sounds of it Craig can communicate suspension tech to cavemen like us. I should just call the guy.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    Woodie vs BOS Stoy, I would love to compare. I reckon it would be a close match.
    knollfest uk 2014 (first week in june to coincide with the Scottish Borders round of the EWS and the Fort Bill round of the DH WC the following weekend) will provide that opportunity...more to come later...
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    One of the reason I have yet to send in my DHX. Not only is the terrain greatly varied within our state, but we are centrally located to make quick trips to Durango, Moab, PHX... and all those trails have their own flavour.

From the sounds of it Craig can communicate suspension tech to cavemen like us. I should just call the guy.
    Be sure to have your CC ready when you do

mtbr member
    I had trouble in the beginning specing craig too...heres the email I sent him in the end...and yes, he did not fail to deliver.. the woodie is an amazing shock. incase your wondering what shock I was referring to in the email below to craig, it was the rp23...a terrible piece of workmanship.

HTH

-----------------------------------------

Rider Weight 190lbs kitted up

2012 Knolly Chilcotin (160mm travel)

Current forks are 160mm 36 Floats, but swapping them for 170mm Marzocchi 55s in a months time.

Shock and mount sizes: 200 mm x 57 mm (7.87 in x 2.25 in), Top: 41.2 mm x 6 mm, Bottom: 21.84 mm x 6 mm

Chilcotin Leverage Ratio: Average = 2.8

What i didnt like about the last shock:
    1) on smoother up and down rolling type trails the bike would loose speed easy in the dips.
    2) i couldnt pump the trail to manitain/increase speed, sometimes the bike even slowed down when pumping rather than speed up.
    3) the bike felt stuck to the ground in a sluggish way and wouldnt get off the ground without great speed.
    4) i couldnt pre-load the bike to get height off a jump, it didnt seem to work.
    5) it used alot of travel on the climbs and would sit in the travel too much.
    6) It didnt recover fast enough from feature to feature on quick twisty rough descents.
    7) you couldnt pop and flick the bike around, it was a bit muted.

In terms of the places i ride, I use the Chilcotin 90% of the time on the best variation trails in the UK as i live in Scotlands main bike town (Peebles), heres where i ride:

1) The trail centre at Glentress (long climbs with roots and techy bits, then fast, flowy descents with small to medium features).
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?um=1...NfT30gWamoCgBQ

2) Bike park grade DH trails at Innerleithen (medium jumps/drops, tight, twisty, fast and pretty rough). In fairness these trails are a bit knarlier than they look in the videos:
    SDA Innerleithen 2013 Matador practice run 20th April - YouTube

3) World Cup DH track at Fort William (rough/rocky, very fast and larger features).
    DownHil: Aaron Gwin Gravity Fort William 2012 - YouTube

In essence:

If i was to describe my style of riding, its less out and out racer and more someone who likes to go fast, style it up and have fun, i.e. make the most of the features on the trail as opposed to getting by them in the fastest possible time...although it would be good to do both at the same time...I bought the chili hoping to hop and flick the bike around but rather than being nimble its been sluggish and nowhere near as playful as id hoped.
    I'm really looking for the bike to become more responsive, to be faster out of corners, nimble and quick through s-bends, pop off jumps better, while being able to soak up the chunder on steep/quick/rough DH oriented trails.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post

I hope Craig has more patience with you than you do with me in communication!!! LMAO

There is no question, his shock service is awesome. A lot of posts on mtbr are slobbering love fests for his shock, not just here in this forum....You just have to weigh the cost benefit factor...as with anything in life!

mtbr member
    I hope Craig has more patience with you than you do with me in communication!!! LMAO

There is no question, his shock service is awesome. A lot of posts on mtbr are slobbering love fests for his shock, not just here in this forum....You just have to weigh the cost benefit factor...as with anything in life!
    i completely agree. i have no issue paying $200 to upgrade a shcok and i can see a difference. the 427 for the fork upgrade is tough to swallow. im happy with my xfusion fork and can feel a difference when i make an adjustment. i just dont know if i'll be able to feel a 427 dollar upgrade if i went with an avy cartidge on a marz or fox