3 "fiddy" for short

Chilly pivot play

I just noticed that my new frame has pivot play in the link that attaches to the seat stay (bushings not bearings). I have seen where some are grinding this shaft down to get the fit correct. Is there any harm in leaving this alone? Will it allow the pivot to wallow out over time? Is there a replacement part?

mtbr member
    I'd grind it down like Qbert recommended a ways back. Or just order one from Cavan. I just got me a new one for not much. Think like 12 to 15 bucks.

3 "fiddy" for short
    I just find it odd that a new bike of this caliber needs to have components ground down to fit like they should have from the factory. I don't really think that this is the best solution with a bike covered by a warranty. This is a new frame and I wonder if this is an isolated issue or more widespread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would check with Knolly. They can help you troubleshoot the issue and determine an appropriate fix. Mine is free of play, and I have not heard of any issues from the 4-5 Chilcotin owners I ride with.

3 "fiddy" for short
    The more I look at it it looks like a bushing spec moreso than a shaft spec. You can watch the bushings "float" on the shaft. I can't seem to see how shortening the shaft will draw up anything to eliminate the play. Thicker bushings would work.

RideDirt
    This is actually a known issue as quite a few people have had to grind down or do whatever they needed to do. I do agree tho , dropping $2500 bucks on a frame alone and then having to hack it to fix it is a bit much. I personally dont have this issue but im sure the guys at Knolly will help you out.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    I do agree tho , dropping $2500 bucks on a frame alone and then having to hack it to fix it is a bit much. I personally dont have this issue but im sure the guys at Knolly will help you out.
    Exactly!

I'm waiting on a reply to an email that I sent. I'm confident that it will be sorted. Just stings a little....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got a new frame last week and had the same problem. Kevin at knolly told me to grind .2mm off the shaft. I had to take a little more off but it fixed the problem. It is kinda disappointing to make modifications on such an expensive nice frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka View Post
    new frame has pivot play in the link that attaches to the seat stay (bushings not bearings)....Will it allow the pivot to wallow out over time?
    Yes of course it will. These parts are only designed to withstand rotational stresses due to normal pivoting actions of the linkage. Any movement in other directions (due to play) will be detrimental to the longevity of the linkage system as forces/stresses are not fully distributed in the same way as they are when there is no play.

You need to get this fixed.

If its come from the factory like this, then this obviously counts as a warranty issue, and in that case, Knolly will sort you out. You should not have to do any work to the bike yourself. It should be ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Try to keep an open mind, and remember the ones that have this problem were the first few batches off the production line. Not every single thing is going to get caught before it goes into production. It's since been remedied.

It's very simple to fix, pull the axle out, run a flat file lightly over it 15 times or so, and re-assemble. Should be no play when torqued back down correctly.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

Just roll it......
    If it were my frame, I'd pull the shaft, spend 5 minutes filing it down and be on with it. I'd get an email from Kevin or Noel saying to do just that - in case anything went wrong (simply as a CYA thing) in case of future warranty issues.

The bushings are "floating" because the shaft is slightly too long and it's not snugging them down.

Cheers,
    EB

Knomer
    Hey there. I haven't seen any emails come in. Please send me a PM, or better an email to kevin AT knollybikes DOT com, and we will get you sorted.

About 2% of frames had pivot axles that are .2mm too long. While we strive for perfection, we are humans punching numbers into a CNC machine, which occasionally can end up very slightly 'off'. We appreciate everyone's understanding and patience, and hope anyone who has dealt with this 'mod' situation, has enjoyed riding a truly amazing bike. Thanks everyone!

Exactly!

I'm waiting on a reply to an email that I sent. I'm confident that it will be sorted. Just stings a little....
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Try to keep an open mind, and remember the ones that have this problem were the first few batches off the production line. Not every single thing is going to get caught before it goes into production. It's since been remedied.

It's very simple to fix, pull the axle out, run a flat file lightly over it 15 times or so, and re-assemble. Should be no play when torqued back down correctly.
    Yup 15 times exactly for me and now its just right.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Filed and fixed. Easy as pie.

mtbr member
    filed and fixed. Easy as pie.
    Nice.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.