Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Chili kicking to the side off of jumps lately..... No I'm not learning to whip it.

So the last couple times down a pretty familiar jump line the chili wants to kick the rear wheel out to the side coming off the lip. I haven't changed any settings.

Is it my technique or has something changed inadvertently (like shock pressure or rebound speed etc)?

I'm not a good jumper so I love it when the bike flies straight and level. Getting the tail out scares the bejeepus out of me..... especially when I'm not trying to do that.

Thoughts?

si vis pacem...
    Check the alignment of your rear triangle...............or learn to whip.

mtbr member
    Can we assume it's the same side every time? Which side, and are you goofy foot or regular? (Right foot forward or left foot forward?). Have you recently injured your arm, hand or wrist?

I am just trying to get comfortable jumping too, and occasionally the bike launches off to one side. For me, It's absolutely pilot error - but it can be a pretty serious error.

mtbr member
    You can't put a rear wheel on the Chili crooked. It's either on or off. There is no adjust-ability, like there is on the V-Tach. If there was enough play to make the rear end steer in any direction other than straight, it would be blatantly obvious. 99.9999% sure that this is pilot error.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

Yebo Numzaan
    good points by Herzalot re: injury. I find the most important thing when jumping is having my weight evenly balanced on the bike. When I was getting into FR and learning to jump in 07 I was doing something similar and also frequent 'dead sailors' or getting bucked. the best advice I got that fixed all my issues in 3 mins was to 'pre bounce' when heading into a jump. Basically..... preload and unweight the bike as you are heading into a lip with your weight evenly balanced on the bars / pedals and thereby center your weight over the bike (small little bounces...2 - 4 times). Doing this helps with muscle memory / brain calibration or whatever it is. I often notice top slopestyle / rampage riders do the same heading into big jumps.

The other thing I recall learning was to 'push' into the lip and not 'pull' up off the lip.

then again...I crash often.

Damn it is good to be back riding my bike.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    This. I'd love to give advice on how to jump straight, but Muttonchops summed up my experience perfectly.

However, I think I'll try his advice next time out, as it sounds solid.

mtbr member
    Have someone watch you, who can jump well that can provide feedback. Or video tape yourself.

Play on a small jump and try different things - push the front end, push the rear end, don't do anything. Then build confidence knowing what works correctly.

Use the advice above, and practice, practice, practice. Through practicing you learn what the bike is doing and how to correct for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    usually the cause of this type of thing is if you have one arm lower than the other, weather its your wrist or elbow, if they are not level the bike will move that way. it can also be caused by pulling up on the bars to, usually as you pull it will be slightly uneven as one arm is slightly stronger than the other so the bike will sway to that side,
    best way is like mutton said, use the legs, compress down using thighs and hips, then release off the lip, this should give you that nice smooth floating arc.

as the other guy siad, have you recently picked up any injuries, or come back from an injury,,, maybe a slight muscle imbalance from an old injury,,,,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    Can we assume it's the same side every time? Which side, and are you goofy foot or regular? (Right foot forward or left foot forward?). Have you recently injured your arm, hand or wrist?

I am just trying to get comfortable jumping too, and occasionally the bike launches off to one side. For me, It's absolutely pilot error - but it can be a pretty serious error.
    Yes, same side. The rear end kicks out to the right with the whole bike then shooting me to the left on landing. Left foot forward.

No, no injuries recently. I do have a sore shoulder from an old injury ( shoulder separation like 14 years ago ) that's been acting up a bit the last week or two. A little less comfortable to sleep on my ride side and it gets hurting if I sit at my desk at home with my right hand on a mouse for too long with the elbow unsupported. I'm never conscious of it when riding though. Hmm hadn't though of that.
    Last edited by KRob; 07-24-2013 at 04:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    You can't put a rear wheel on the Chili crooked. It's either on or off. There is no adjust-ability, like there is on the V-Tach. If there was enough play to make the rear end steer in any direction other than straight, it would be blatantly obvious. 99.9999% sure that this is pilot error.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the rear end is still in alignment, although my rear wheel had a pretty good wobble in it after breaking a couple spokes last month. I got the spokes replaced and tried to retrue the wheel best I could but it may need some professional attention. Still has a very slight wobble. I did find another broken spoke after doing that same run this morning.

Pretty sure it's pilot error too. Just can't quite figure out what I'm doing different. I've done this run dozens of times and I'm usually pretty comfortable on all the jumps.

I did slow down the rebound a quarter turn today just to see what effect that had. It definitely didn't kick quite as much coming off the lip but what kick there was was still to the side.
    It also felt dead on rolling whoops and coming off lips so I put it back where I had it (1.5 turns out) after my ride.

Greystoke
    KRob , that rear wheel sounds like it could be the culprit, if you are breaking spokes it usually means they aren't evenly tensioned. The loose ones are normally the ones that break first.

mtbr member
    You have broken spokes and your wheel wobbles?! Might have mentioned that in the first post.

Get it professionally trued; preferably by someone who uses a spoke tension meter.

I can imagine a flexing rear wheel throwing off a jump line, but I can also imagine many people jumping straight with bent rear wheels.

mtbr member
    Dude a bike is an inanimate object- I suspect it's technique

Delirious Tuck
    I have had some ill happenings with a tire rolling off the rim on compression into hip type jumps and transfers kicking things out (NOTE: Speshy Butcher 2Bliss on Blunt SL is no dice w or w/out tubes, go full UST sidewall). That was definitely not technique.

You may be compensating for something happening with rear wheel using extra body english and not really conscious of it until you're in the air. As Big B said, get it looked at by a pro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    You have broken spokes and your wheel wobbles?! Might have mentioned that in the first post.

Get it professionally trued; preferably by someone who uses a spoke tension meter.

I can imagine a flexing rear wheel throwing off a jump line, but I can also imagine many people jumping straight with bent rear wheels.
    Sorry, didn't think it was important until I got thinking about it some more. Although when it first started happening the wheel was fairly true. Only one spot that was still running out just a bit after I replaced the two spokes and attempted to retrue. FWIW, I think I've jumped the same line on wonkier wheels without ill affect on other bikes in the past.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    preload and unweight the bike as you are heading into a lip with your weight evenly balanced on the bars / pedals and thereby center your weight over the bike (small little bounces...2 - 4 times).

Damn it is good to be back riding my bike.
    Have you been injured? Did I miss that..... or just forget (I'm getting old)?

Haven't crashed (yet) due to this "problem" but it hasn't been doing much for my jumping confidence.

On the preload suggestion, are you talking about before I even get to the jump or as I push into the face?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Have someone watch you, who can jump well that can provide feedback. Or video tape yourself.

Play on a small jump and try different things - push the front end, push the rear end, don't do anything. Then build confidence knowing what works correctly.

Use the advice above, and practice, practice, practice. Through practicing you learn what the bike is doing and how to correct for it.
    This is a good suggestion. I'll try the video and post it up so you all can tell me what the heck is wrong with me..... if it isn't obvious to me when I view it.

Or maybe it's just the wonky wheel throwing me off.

mtbr member
    I had a similar problem back in the day on the old Delirium T. The rear of the bike would always kick out to the left and nose down, had a big get off because of it. I had just started using a DHX-5 shock and was going by Noel's recomended settings, after a few emails with Noel we figured out I was running too much boost in the shock causing the shock to spike and rebound too quickly when I preloaded into the face of the jump. I dont know how this relates to your setup Krob...but something to think about.

mtbr member
    It's your bike. It read your posts about wanting a new one and is not pleased.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I had a similar problem back in the day on the old Delirium T. The rear of the bike would always kick out to the left and nose down, had a big get off because of it. I had just started using a DHX-5 shock and was going by Noel's recomended settings, after a few emails with Noel we figured out I was running too much boost in the shock causing the shock to spike and rebound too quickly when I preloaded into the face of the jump. I dont know how this relates to your setup Krob...but something to think about.
    Yeah, that's kinda what it felt like. I'm running a CCBD air so no boost valve and I hadn't changed any settings so it was puzzling. Maybe I'll check and make sure my air pressure hasn't changed. Maybe I need to check all my other settings too. Maybe a garage gnome has been messing with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    It's your bike. It read your posts about wanting a new one and is not pleased.
    LOL. No kidding. It should know it's not going to be able to keep the one-bike-to-rule-them-all status forever. Everyone getting their fancy schmancy Endorphins and 25 lb carbon 650b/29er trail slayers is making me want something that compliments the Chili.... not replace it. (Remember, bikes are inanimate objects......right?)
    Last edited by KRob; 07-24-2013 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Maybe you are carrying more speed into the jump causing the suspension to act differently?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    krob,, if you do put up a vid of yourself jumping, would you beable to a normal speed and a slowmo of the same jump, that way we can have a close look at your technique to see if your doing anything wrong,
    do you ride clips or flat pedals,

Yebo Numzaan
    this is going to be fun
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    on the fluidride flowtonic dvd, simon lawton says somthing about kicking down on one of your pedals to make the bike change direction going off the lip, could you possably be kicking down slightly with your left foot as you leave the lip, this would make the rear of the bike go to the right, as you describe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast