mtbr member

Chili felt at least 10 lbs lighter yesterday!

I'd been sick for the past week but finally got back out for a ride yesterday morning. I was expecting the legs and climbing to feel very sluggish with the time off the bike and recovering from the ick, but I was pleasantly surprised how easy the climb was given the circumstances. The bike felt at least 10 lbs lighter than normal.

Then about half way through my ride I noticed I'd forgotten my pack. D'Oh. Such a 'tard sometimes.

mtbr member
    That's one way to make the bike lighter!
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I was out tonight and i was thinking about ditching my camelback for a good old fashioned frame mounted water bottle. Im always filling the damn bag up with a bit too much water and other things i dont really need, 'just incase'. I suppose its a better workout though when youve got a heavy bag on your back.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.
    "think hedgehog not starfish" - delirian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    Im always filling the damn bag up with a bit too much water and other things i dont really need, 'just incase'.
    I hear you there. I have to go through my pack every year or so to get rid of the excess "just-in-case" stuff.... like broken parts, pinch-flatted tubes, spare derailleur hangers to bikes I don't have anymore, year-old bags of trail mix that've been forgotten, etc.

And still it weighs a ton..... but I feel naked without it. I really, really, really hate walking a bike out of the woods, so I take too much stuff.

I'm surprised I made it past the end of my driveway without noticing.
    Last edited by KRob; 05-18-2013 at 08:52 AM.

ಠ_ಠ
    Ever since I had a kid, the riding has taken a hit. 80pc of the time I'm sticking close to home riding the same local trails. Since I'm under a time constraint and I'm usually riding only an hour to hour and a half, I ditched the camelbak for most of my rides and I really prefer it. I just drink a big glass of water on my way out, and make sure I drink another when I come home. The hassle of filling up the CB is just too much for a quick one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr View Post
    Ever since I had a kid, the riding has taken a hit. 80pc of the time I'm sticking close to home riding the same local trails. Since I'm under a time constraint and I'm usually riding only an hour to hour and a half, I ditched the camelbak for most of my rides and I really prefer it. I just drink a big glass of water on my way out, and make sure I drink another when I come home. The hassle of filling up the CB is just too much for a quick one.
    Yep, that's exactly how my morning, pre-work rides go.... but I cannot break the pack addiction.

My Dakine Nomad with a Hydrapack bladder is very easy to fill with the fold over/slide on top. I just take a drink bottle out into the garage with me and dump it in. I rarely pull the bladder and clean it out. I figure with adding 16-32 oz of chlorinated tap water every day it should stay fairly disinfected.

I don't think I could leave without a spare tube and some tools either though. Maybe I should make up a separate, smaller quick ride pack with just the essentials for those rides. But knowing me, before long it would weigh as much as the all-day pack. LOL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    lol.... i thought it was just me that was way to precautious. lol. i am just as bad, in my evoc freeride pack depending where i go, ( if its far or when in whistler) i carry 3 spare tubes, 6 puncture repair kits, pump. multi tool (pedros with tyre levers screwdriver chain breaker allen keys and spoke key) canecreek db tool, spare sram split links ( not sure how many lol think its 5) nitrill gloves, gearcable, adjustable spanner, mossie repellant, bog roll ( cause you never know when lol) depending how warm it is as to weather i wear them or not, i will always have, jumper/jersey, windproof, waterproof ( packlite event thing) and spare pair of gloves. granola bars, and between 2-3 litres of water depending where i am and how hot it is lol.
    i even carried a new spare chain sram 991 arround in there for almost 3 years lol. incase i broke my chain, i figured after 3 years i would never need it lol so used it when i built up the chromag, then about 2 weeks later at our local trail centre we bumped into a freind who had killed his chain, he asked lol. i know this is a long shot, but i dont suppose you have a spare chain lol. bloody typical or what, ha ha, i told him how i had carried the thing round in my pack for 3 years and never needed it so decided to take it out, then as soon as i do someone needs it lol. i have even considerd carrying a spare rearmech to lol.
    told you i was anal about carrying stuff lol. and thats me travelling light ha ha

mtbr member
    That's funny. That's why I never take anything out..... I know as soon as I do, I'll need it.

I felt like such a dufus at Whistler because I was literally the only one I saw carrying around a fully loaded pack. But I couldn't think of anything in there that I wanted to be without. Tubes: check, pump: check, food: check, rain shell: check, Water: check, Tools: check.

It's like an all day ride to me because I wasn't going to take time out to fiddle with stuff... or eat.... or walk a bike down the hill.... etc. If I lived there and had a pass and could ride every day maybe it'd be different, but when I was there it was all about getting in as many runs as I could, every day.

I'm sure I would've been able to clear more of the jumps without all that extra weight on my back though. LOL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    lol... if you had been in whistler a few weeks before you wouldnt have been the only one ha ha, we could have had a overloaded heavy bag contest lol. everyone kept taking the piss out of me, comments like bloody hell are you goin base jumping, did you bring a parachute, what the hells in that bag. it's a complete differant story when i get to the top, up in garbo zone or on top of the world, and someone walks up pushing their bike, erm excuse me mate i dont suppose you have a spare tube do you. it's quite ok then for my parachute pack to be carried, when im opening it and giving them a tube pump and all the tools they need to remove their rear wheel. so if it hadnt been for me and my anal tendancie lol they would have had a very long walk down the mountain.

that leads me to another question, lol. about karma, when is enough enough, when is it time to say NO, when to be cruel to be kind. im refaring to being kind to others. on my last trip to whistler sept last year. i was approached by loads of people with flats. i gave away 3 tubes at a cost of arround 7 bucks each, fixed a few punctures. and lent out my pump and adjustable spanner a few times to. in total i must have helped arround 6 or 7 people in my time there. towards the end of the trip, (final week) my mates who i was riding with said i should stop being so nice. if the riders couldnt be arsed to carry basic provisions with them. then why should they expect people like my self to do so for them, so that day we made a pact between our group, we were'nt gonna help anyone as we wanted to ride, to get as many laps as we could.
    on our first run. we did whiskey jack, stopped at freighttrain/ bluevelvet/ no joke to regroup. a coupple came to me the guy had a flat, excuse me mate,do you have a tube i could have. before i could answer lol my mate says no sorry we dont. this guy was not happy, off he trotted mouthing off.
    anyways we continued our ride down. at the bottom we got back in the lift line, who do we see, the very same coupple. i couldnt believe what happend next.
    as we passed them in the lift line, the verbal abuse came. oh theres that group that didnt want to help us, thanks for nothing. so my mate amanda started to try to explain why we didnt help. they gave her more abuse, that was it, to me it was like a red rag to a bull. i flipped. lol. ( now i am a very placid chilled out guy, it takes a lot to wind me up, and these gob shites sucessfully managed it lol)
    i give them a gob full of abuse back, saying why should i be expected to help them out when it's their own stupidity thats put them in that situation in the first place. i then told them about how many people i had helped in the last 2 weeks and how much out of pockett i was, at that pont they seemed to calm down and appologised for their harsh comments.
    so again i ask my question, when is enough enough, when is it time to say no.

mtbr member
    Good question. You're a saint. I had one guy ask if I had a pump just as I was getting off the lift right at the end of the day. I knew if I stopped to let him use it I wouldn't make it down in time to catch the last lift. I really wanted to get another run in so I told him yes I had a pump but I really wanted to make the last lift and he was totally cool with it.

I did feel bad and wondered if bad karma for being a jerk would catch up with me on that last run. The last run was clean and I was able to pull together some things I'd been working up to so I'm glad I got that run in, but in hindsight I wished I'd helped the guy.

When is enough enough?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    I'll carry a tube, pump and multi tool in the pockets sometimes. Sometimes i even go with a waist pack. Sometimes i go with the full pack.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    I'm pretty much used to riding with a 30L pack filled with all the normal stuff plus a DSLR. Feels like I'm carrying a small baby on my back when I put it on. but I forget it's there after a few minutes.

I keep telling myself it's good for training value and that one day when I get an uber bike and I'm not carrying so much I'll climb like a rocket.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    a pack does double as psuedo-back-armour!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    so again i ask my question, when is enough enough, when is it time to say no.
    When they dont show the cash for parts as they ask?

Im like you id feel bad not helping people, so i always do, and i enjoy helping others too. But on saturday that changed (for the first time in a long time).

I was up the hill on the Chili with a random guy (appeared in the car park with a £100,000 motorhome) who i agreed to give a sort of guided tour around the trails. I took him up the hill and explained where you need to go what to watch out for...and so on.

As we were climbing we were chatting, but a pattern emerged that i couldnt stand...to cut a long story short: everything we spoke of, he had done better, he had went further, faster, spent more money, he had done it all, everything!, and i couldnt have any conversation with him about anything at all without him tripping into his 'one upmanship' mode. He had poor friend making skills

After a few minutes of decending he pinch flatted and I had spare tube in my bag that he didnt know about and told him i couldnt help and he walked the 1000ft descent down the fireroads.

I wasnt happy with what i had done, far from it, i was in a foul mood, he had ruined my day off, he had a **** attitude and the last thing i was going to do after all the ******** he made me listen to was to help him. I would much rather have made a new friend and lent a helping hand in his time of need.

It is ok not to want to suffer fools gladly

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I guess I'm just a little too jerky then....when someone rolls up with: "Everything alright, you have everything you need?" I toss my tools on the ground and say: "No, I need you to fix this."
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    When they dont show the cash for parts as they ask?

Im like you id feel bad not helping people, so i always do, and i enjoy helping others too. But on saturday that changed (for the first time in a long time).

I was up the hill on the Chili with a random guy (appeared in the car park with a £100,000 motorhome) who i agreed to give a sort of guided tour around the trails. I took him up the hill and explained where you need to go what to watch out for...and so on.

As we were climbing we were chatting, but a pattern emerged that i couldnt stand...to cut a long story short: everything we spoke of, he had done better, he had went further, faster, spent more money, he had done it all, everything!, and i couldnt have any conversation with him about anything at all without him tripping into his 'one upmanship' mode. He had poor friend making skills

After a few minutes of decending he pinch flatted and I had spare tube in my bag that he didnt know about and told him i couldnt help and he walked the 1000ft descent down the fireroads.

I wasnt happy with what i had done, far from it, i was in a foul mood, he had ruined my day off, he had a **** attitude and the last thing i was going to do after all the ******** he made me listen to was to help him. I would much rather have made a new friend and lent a helping hand in his time of need.

It is ok not to want to suffer fools gladly
    lol... i bet you took great delight in watching him do the walk of shame,,,, the one thing he didnt do that was better than you was come prepared, pack his bag correctly ha ha,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by delirian View Post
    the one thing he didnt do that was better than you was come prepared, pack his bag correctly ha ha,
    brilliant!!! true, hahahahahaaaaaaaaa, i never thought if it like that

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I keep telling myself it's good for training value and that one day when I get an uber bike and I'm not carrying so much I'll climb like a rocket.
    This is why i built the Chili before the 'lighter' bike

Ill be just that when i build the Endo.