mtbr member
    May 2006

Chilcotin vs Endorphin

I have narrowed my new frame search to an Endorphin or Chilcotin. I currently ride a single pivot Morewood Mbuzi which is a 6.2 inch travel bike. I mainly ride east coast trails in the mountains of NC. Pisgah NAtional Forest which are rocky and rooty. MY question is as a 205 pound rider, that rides rooty, rocky east coast trails is the Endo enough ride? The Chilli seems like it might be overkill, however, with my weight the extra travel might be good..

Any input is appreciated..

mtbr member
    Endo with a 150 or 160mm 34 or Pike and 2.35 tires is very capable. If you're not getting much air time and just want an aggressive trail bike I think it will be enough bike. Plus it pedals a little more efficiently and will be lighter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think there can be some overlap between the two so you might consider the geo differences between the two in your choice. I have a chilcotin that started out as a beefy all mountain pounder, but I have since rebuilt the bike to be lighter weight like the endorphin. It's still capable of demanding terrain but can cross over into the endo category. If I was to start over I would get an endo with a pike and 2.3 tires ect. A well built endorphin can handle the rough stuff just fine. If you like to do big jumps or free ride stuff I would go chilcotin, and go endorphin if you are a fast trail shredder but generally stay within a few feet of the ground.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am 6'4" do you think any one would be better over the other as far as Geometry?

mtbr member
    if i was 6'4" and needed an xl frame i'd be looking at 27.5" wheeled frames. i'd get a warden or if i wanted to be able to run both sizes a rune or spitfire

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    if i was 6'4" and needed an xl frame i'd be looking at 27.5" wheeled frames. i'd get a warden or if i wanted to be able to run both sizes a rune or spitfire
    Why 27.5?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
    Why 27.5?
    the answer is quite controversial (Tall Guys and 650B), but qbert gives good advice in that maybe a warden is what you need. the only way to find out is to find a knolly dealer and demo them all. also you don't need a bigger bike just because you weigh 205, i.e. your not that heavy. just set the sag right.
    2013 Knolly Endorphin | 2013 Knolly Chilcotin | 2014 Knolly Podium.